Brewer Fanatic

Random stat of the Day

As much as I love Robin Yount, somehow I don't think Yankees fans are sad about not having a 3,000 hit guy. If they are, they can cry into their gazillion championship pennants.

I think this is a great way to show how over-rated hits are. Gehrig is one of the all time greatest hitters, and only had 2721 hits. Of course, he had 1508 walks. Mantle had 2415 hits and 1733 walks!

I think this is a great way to show how over-rated hits are. Gehrig is one of the all time greatest hitters, and only had 2721 hits. Of course, he had 1508 walks. Mantle had 2415 hits and 1733 walks!

I didn't realize "milestones" was spelled H-I-T-S.

I really don't understand what you are saying. You think reaching a milestone is better than having the kind of career that Mantle and Gehrig had? If you could somehow choose the path of Braun's career, would you choose Yount or one of Gehrig/Mantle?

I really don't understand what you are saying. You think reaching a milestone is better than having the kind of career that Mantle and Gehrig had? If you could somehow choose the path of Braun's career, would you choose Yount or one of Gehrig/Mantle?

I'm saying that hits aren't overrated, milestones are. There isn't much difference between .297 and .300, or 395 and 400 HR. Just because Gehrig didn't get to 3000 hits doesn't mean he isn't on the same level as those who did. We're making the same point; your statement that hits are overrated confuses me.

your statement that hits are overrated confuses me.

Well, what about it confuses you? Hits are overrated by many. It has the lowest correlation to runs scored of AVG, OBP and SLG. Juan Pierre is a .300 career hitter, and is now a replacement player on offense.

Well, what about it confuses you? Hits are overrated by many.

I agree. Hits are entirely overrated, teams like the Cubs should stop trying to get so many of them.

Outs on the other hand are underrated by many.

50 years from now people will realize that D'angelo Jimenez didn't suck, rather he was under-appreciated.

As much as I love Robin Yount, somehow I don't think Yankees fans are sad about not having a 3,000 hit guy. If they are, they can cry into their gazillion championship pennants.

My point was that, with all the great hitters the yanks have had(Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, ect), none of them ever reached 3k, and that just struck me as odd and made me appricate how rare 3k is. I never said they would care.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Archived