Brewer Fanatic

6/8/08 Brewers (Suppan) at Rockies (Francis): 2:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
I find it hilarious that people have now gone to "defensive replacements" as a reason to bang on Ned. It just gets better and better. Is this really what we have become?

On a side note, what is going to be the thing Ned did wrong here if Torres doesn't get it done? I know its not the players fault.

It's a symptom of the greater problem. You have a past gold glove winner sitting on your bench, and you don't put him in in a close, 1 run game, where defense is at a premium? Overall, Ned's logic is nonlogical.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, for one, will have no complaints about the Torres move, however it turns out. Yost went to the team's best reliever (there's little doubt about Torres's status as the team's best reliever) in an extremely high leverage spot even though it wasn't his defined LaRussian role in the bullpen.

It was (by far) the best possible thing he could have done.

In case some haven't been paying attention, the issue of defensive replacments has been relevant before. Recently, even.

Players must perform, but if a manager can get create a meaningful increase in the probablility of a defensive play being made at a key defenisve positioin by making a switch late in a game (especially after the player being switched out has just batted in the prior half inning), I think it's a fiar point of criticism. Usually not reason alone to say a manager cost the game, but over 162 all those little things add up.

With 3-4-5 up there is no reason to bunt there, none. I get why people do it, but I'm not a big fan of it. Meh.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived