Brewer Fanatic

McClung or Weaver? Decide by June 15

lukevan
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McClung is making me look like a genius for saying how well he has pitched except for that one game early when he was asked to take one for the team, way back in early April. Other than his fatigue issues in the 5th of his first couple starts (see Joba for how hard it is to go 5 right away), he's been simply astounding. Time will tell if he's able to continue this once the scouting reports are issued and such, but right now, he's proof that when in doubt, go with the guy who is pitching the best, and worry about the rest later.

As for Weaver, he would not be replacing Seth if he were brought up. As Rev Jackson would say, this question is moot.

Moving Bush down to make way for Weaver and McClung based on one or two starts is a sign of a bad franchise.

I don't think they would do it based on the results of those starts as much as what they actually see in him. Something you tend to underestimate IMHO is scouts and coaches actually can see what's going one with a player and base a lot of their decisions on that instead of just looking at stats. ERA, K's, BB's all rely on other people. Even things like K's and BB's can be deceiving in small samples due to AAA umpires and minor league players swinging at balls. Bad fields and fielders effect other aspects of the game. When Doug watches tape of Weaver he can see more of what he really is than merely relying on stats that have so much noise effecting them.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Maybe we'll all know soon, as the artificial deadline for Weaver is at hand. They could extend it though.

I wonder if something unexpected might happen.

Formerly AKA Pete

McClung has vastly exceeded my very modest expectations this year...I have to tip my hat to him. I still worry about his lack of movement on his fastball, but his control has been very good. Both McClung & Bush have been fine recently. The problem with the rotation is having one of these guys as a #5 is tolerable, but to really make a run you wouldn't want these guys making 40% of your starts. As for Weaver, maybe he's a little better now, but is he a step up from Bush or McClung...probably not. Is he at least equal to those two which would open up a spot for one of those guys in the pen, thereby improving the pen...maybe.

For McClung, it's always been about his ability to work ahead, and to throw his offspeed for strikes - if he continues doing that, he can get away with spotting a good fastball with no movement on it. Maybe it's the fact that as a starter he's not throwing with max effort that enables him to command pitches better. Whatever the case is, as long as he keeps pitching well as a starter, there's no reason to move him out of the rotation.

McClung is making me look like a genius for saying how well he has pitched except for that one game early when he was asked to take one for the team, way back in early April. Other than his fatigue issues in the 5th of his first couple starts (see Joba for how hard it is to go 5 right away), he's been simply astounding.

He's looked promising as a SP, but as mentioned, let's see how long it lasts (once other teams get scouting reports & Seth has to throw with control more than 20 or so IP). To say that 'you were right' & that he's had only one bad outing really doesn't take an objective look.

McClung has exceeded expectations in 3 of his first 4 starts. The other start was terrible, and he was not good as a RP before the 4 starts. He walked 13 guys in 20 1/3 IP as a RP. Let's not apply the 'well, looks like McClung is great!' backslaps just yet. To call him "astounding" is overdone imo -- he's been better than expected in a tiny sample. I hope it continues.

Maybe it's the fact that as a starter he's not throwing with max effort that enables him to command pitches better.

I wondered about this, too. It's been nice to not have to listen to Seth grunt his way to 96-mph balls. He's looked a whole lot better when he's kept himself in check a bit.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Weaver allows the date to be pushed back again. The decision really doesn't involve McClung anymore IMO. I still think it'd be good to keep Weaver in case of injury so I guess we'll see what happens by June 15.

TH reporting Weaver's release as well:

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/06/12/brewers-release-weaver.aspx

Not that I'd mind if Seth keeps the good work up, but he can feel free to turn back into a pumpkin now. They'd have no choice but to go to Villy or DiFelice, who are both superior options anyway.

Not that I'd mind if Seth keeps the good work up, but he can feel free to turn back into a pumpkin now. They'd have no choice but to go to Villy or DiFelice, who are both superior options anyway.

Based on what? Seth has done pretty well in most of his starts so far and I think "superior" isn't the right word here. I really like DiFelice, but in a small sample in the bigs he hasn't shown anything towards "superior" over what McClung has done. As far as Villy, he had his shot earlier in the year and lost his job. If he would've done his job, McClung wouldn't be starting. I just love throwing strong words out there like "superior". If it was that obvious, McClung wouldn't be starting. I do think McClung should be in the bullpen, but has his performance suggested so far that there are "superior" options? I just don't see that in any way. If McClung starts to struggle we do have options to replace him, but replacing him for no reason seems kind of strange to me. What else does he have to do this year? Throw a no-hitter or a perfect game?

he was not good as a RP before the 4 starts. He walked 13 guys in 20 1/3 IP as a RP.

He made up for the walks by not giving up a lot of hits. He had one of the better ERAs in the bullpen too when he made the switch. McClung's WHIP is lower than every starter not named Sheets. His walks (and HRs) are on par with Suppan, but he strikes out more than Suppan. If you want to talk about walks, then you can't think very highly of Suppan; as "lucky" as you say McClung has been with his walks, Suppan has been even luckier.

And to say that Villy and DiFelice are superior options is just not true, if not ludicrous. I don't know how anyone can look at Villy's numbers and say that they are superior. 71 hits in 59 innings? McClung has given up 5 HR in 42 IP; CV has given up 12 in 59 innings, DiFelice has given up two in 5.2 IP (Bush 15 in 64 IP). Villy's OPS-A is .853, McClung's is .697. C'mon, that's like trying to say that a hitter with a .697 OPS is better than a hitter with a .853 OPS.

I'm sorry, but right now McClung is the best starter on the team not named Sheets.

It's OK people... let your hate of McClung go... you can say he is an OK starter, we won't hold your previous opinions against you...

It's OK people... let your hate of McClung go... you can say he is an OK starter, we won't hold your previous opinions against you...
I would like to take this opportunity to admit that I thought McClung was a total waste of a roster space, and wanted him DFA'd earlier in the year when we had 14 pitchers. Melvin seems to have seen something in him that his previous stats didn't show. I have been more than pleasantly surprised by him as a starter, and was (so far) wrong in thinking he was of no use to the Brewers. I hope he can keep up the solid production.

They'd have no choice but to go to Villy or DiFelice, who are both superior options anyway.
I can see your argument for Villy as a better option, but the DiFelice one is a stretch. If you just look at pure stuff, I'll take McClung and his 96 mph fastball with a decent curveball. Do you have a thing for players with success in the minor leagues on the wrong side of 30 or something? (I believe I remember you being a Dillon fan as well)

Archived