Brewer Fanatic

McClung or Weaver? Decide by June 15

lukevan
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
One more injury and it will become hung then shot.

I don't understand why we wouldn't start skipping one pitcher every turn through the rotation if possible at this point. It isn't early so we don't have to build guys up anymore like we do in April.

Piling extra innings onto Sheets (and probably Parra) just doesn't seem like a great idea to me. I'll be happy if they get 30 starts out of Sheets. Without Benny, this team is dead in the water.

As much as I have beaten McClung's name like a rented mule...I have to go with Seth and not add another name to the 40 man roster...maybe later if he fades into expectations then Carlos can take over starting again...maybe or Dillard...but not Weaver...

FTJoey, only seasons 5 or earlier on "The Simpsons"

I don't understand why we wouldn't start skipping one pitcher every turn through the rotation if possible at this point. It isn't early so we don't have to build guys up anymore like we do in April.

But... McClung is the #5 pitcher. He has to pitch right after the #4 pitcher, right?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Verified Member
McClung is what I would say. The gorilla in the room is Dave Bush. If Weaver, DiFelice or whoever gets an audition, it might be his spot where its made.
Formerly AKA Pete

this is a really hard call because of the inconsistency of bush and mcclung. right now though i'd lean towards keeping those 2 for the time being, keeping in mind that there should be a starter available that is better than weaver at the trade deadline if needed. He has yet to do anything to prove to me he could do better than what we got.

What about Weaver's salary and bonus if called up? Does anyone know the amount and exactly how it works (i.e. he is guaranteed $1 million if called up)? I think that could potentially be another factor the Brewers may consider.

I do think the next few starts are huge for McClung and Bush. If both implode, I could see the scenario that CV is sent to Nashville to get "stretched" out for a few starts and Weaver heads to Milwaukee. A decision will then be made among Bush, McClung, Weaver, and CV as to who the starters are for hopefully the rest of the year. I wouldn't mind keeping CV in the pen, but I just don't like the way he's being used out of the pen right now (i.e. only pitching an inning) and I'd rather have him ready to start sooner than later.

The point is we have tons of innings to evaluate every single one of those pitcher save perhaps Villaneueva. What they do over two starts is near meaningless.

I agree with that, but not every pitcher has a June 15th decision looming. That is my point. If the Brewers are entertaining any ideas of who loses a spot in the roation should Weaver be up, my guess would be that Bush and McClung would be on top of that list. If they're not thinking about it, it's a moot point. I really don't appreciate your back handed slaps, but I guess I'm getting used to it since most of your posts are written up that way when replying to my posts.

This has nothing to do with you. The point is that if the Brewers are making a decision based upon a deadline with a pitcher that had 1/2 of a good season three years ago and three mediocre AAA outings surrounded by three awful ones its a bad thing. Its like putting McClung in the rotation based on a ERA that was fueled by an unsustainable low home run rate instead of him actually pitching better. Moving Bush down to make way for Weaver and McClung based on one or two starts is a sign of a bad franchise.

Moving Bush down to make way for Weaver and McClung based on one or two starts is a sign of a bad franchise.
What's your favorite part about Bush? His 5.85 ERA this year or his 5.12 ERA last year? Weaver has many more 4 ERA seasons than Bush does as he did so in 2004 and 2005. Now, he had a bad 2006 and 2007, but Weaver has playoff experience and it's worth it to give him a shot. It's not like anyone would pick up Bush on waivers if we sent him down because his value is as high as the Zimbabwe Dollar.

Verified Member

The point is that if the Brewers are making a decision based upon a deadline with a pitcher that had 1/2 of a good season three years ago and three mediocre AAA outings surrounded by three awful ones its a bad thing.

I'm sure if they did it, it would be based on his ability to pitch.

Its like putting McClung in the rotation based on a ERA that was fueled by an unsustainable low home run rate instead of him actually pitching better.

Pitching better produces a better ERA. C'mon, be honest, he's obviously pitching better and has lots of ability.

Moving Bush down to make way for Weaver and McClung based on one or two starts is a sign of a bad franchise.

Keeping him is the sign of a bad franchise. He's bad. I find the emotional attachment to him mystifying.

Formerly AKA Pete

Keeping him is the sign of a bad franchise.

You are probably right, in that if Bush is in your rotation it isn't a great thing.

The question though is not "is Bush bad?" rather "is Weaver worse?"

I am not real interested in just flipping pitchers into our rotation, because as bad as Bush has been -- I believe it can get worse.

Keeping him is the sign of a bad franchise. He's bad. I find the emotional attachment to him mystifying.

I don't think it's much of an emotional attachment anymore. There used to be a lot of posters who thought he could be much better (around 3.8-4 ERA type) after his first season when he was really good in the second half and had good peripheral stats throughout the season. I was included in that group.

After last year and now a few months through this year I'm fairly certain 99.9% of people who thought he could be a 4 ERA type of guy have abandoned that hope. It's not an emotional attatchment, it's a we know Bush isn't very good but Weaver is worse kind of thing. If we're going to remove somebody from the rotation (either Bush or McClung) then I would much rather they give Villanueva or even DiFelice a shot over Weaver.

With the Gallardo injury, the Capuano injury, and releasing Vargas a strength going into the year is gone. With the struggles of Bush mixed in with good starts and McClung's history as a starter I'm just not sold on either one of them. I'm by no means saying Weaver is an answer or anything, but I am saying that unfortunately the Brewers might be in a position to throw more starters in there and see what sticks. It's obviously not ideal, but it is what it is.

Weaver has actually had a couple of good starts the last two times out. McClung has done an admirable job and it's nice to know he could fill in as a spot starter. But before you lose Weaver, I'd say give him a shot - assuming his next start is also a good one. He's at least as good as McClung and you can always DFA him later. And if he's that bad, he may just accept an assignment to Nashville outright if he clears waivers at that point (if we'd even want him to continue working his way back at that point). But I think the upside of having Weaver return to previous form is too great to not at least take a shot at.

I'm not a fan of Bush since he's basically settled in as a durable #5 starter. That's useful, but I'd certainly would be looking for an upgrade.

That said, Weaver isn't an upgrade. He's probably a downgrade. If the Brewers want to do something about that spot in the rotation, going out of the organization is the answer. Not bringing in a washed up vet that's not even pitching that great at AAA.

Robert

With Wainwright's injury maybe the Cardinals would be interested in seeing if Weaver can regain his magic under Duncan. The way Bill Hall has been breaking bats this year maybe the team can get a truckload of them for Weaver.

Archived