Brewer Fanatic

"TH isn't hard enough on Yost"

It's too bad you haven't taken the time to actually tell us why you think Haudricourt and the MJS offer great Brewer coverage.

I dont see really anything wrong with it. You guys are saying hes not hard enough on Yost but I dont know what he is supposed to do differently. Go up to him during pressers and say why is Cameron still batting in the 2 hole or why would you ever pitch Mota in the 8th after Villy just pitched a perfect 7th? Who cares if he asks those. And if he does try to challenge Yost he wont get a thing for the rest of the year as far as sound bites or anything. I just think TH doesnt overreact like everyone on this board does when we win 2 or 3 in a row or lose 4 or 5. Him and Yost are both similar in that regard.

He writes good gamers (you said it yourself) and so far this year has been the first to break all the Brewers news. Everyone rips the MJS but I bet you couldnt find 5 better beat writers all around (blogging, gamers, notes, breaking news) than TH in baseball.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so far this year has been the first to break all the Brewers news.
Let's get serious here. He broke the news that Yost was getting fired. Albeit secondhand, through a blog, but he posted it in a place where it would get read by many. How did that end up?

I don't care if he breaks the news that LaPorta is coming up two weeks before he actually does. He lost any and all credibility in my opinion when he made that blog post newsworthy.

Uhh who doesn't get annoyed when people sencond guess your decisions? Nedly has to go through that on a daily basis, and I'm surprised more managers DONT blow up at the media on a more daily basis, (Ozzie doesnt count) http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

You knew me as Myday2001.

Tom Haudricourt is supposedly too soft on the Brewers and Yost? I don't get that from him at all. And, I think it's especially notable that the Brewers have a winning record. Yeah, it could be better, but the Brewers aren't far out of line with expectations.

And, I think the fact that Haudricourt really only takes occasional shots at Yost is understandable. Haudricourt's job relies on access, which is the problem all beat writers struggle with. How to keep access and yet not be an employee of the team.

One of the things that stuck with me is that just before the first Taylor/Lopes campaign opened TH wrote a lengthy, lead article basically saying that Taylor and Lopes were blowing smoke about how good the team was going to be and to expect a bad team. He was completely right about that, although I can't imagine that the article was very popular with Brewers management.

Yeah, he has weaknesses. His statistical analysis is weak. And that "blogger reports that Yost is fired" is completely on him. And he's been less than polite and informative in a few internet chats over the years. But his gamestory is usually right on, his weekend notes column is pretty solid although hardly revolutionary, and I always get the impression that he's interested in the game first and foremost, not say "when is Bruce Springsteen coming to town?".

Robert

YoGo24 wrote:

so far this year has been the first to break all the Brewers news.

He's the only Brewers reporter for the only paper in the team's city and the biggest paper in the state. If he wasn't breaking those stories, he shouldn't have a job.

Archived