Brewer Fanatic

The Future Helena and Arizona Brewers -- 30th round 3B/OF Dedrick Signs

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Though he signed a couple of weeks ago, here's an article on Maverick Lasker of the Arizona Brewers

O'Connor grad launches pro career

by Jason P. Skoda - Jun. 23, 2008 09:36 AM

The Arizona Republic

Maverick Lasker didn't waste any time. He figured he did enough of that during the season. So the Phoenix Sandra Day O'Connor graduate signed with the Milwaukee Brewers the day he was drafted.

"It's what I wanted to do from the start," Lasker said. "They called me that day (June 5) and asked if I was willing to sign. We talked money and got it done that night." http://gcirm.azcentral.gcion.com/RealMedia/.ads/adstream_lx.ads/www.azcentral.com/sports/preps/articles/2008/06/23/20080623phxlasker.html/1755081784/ArticleFlex_1/OasDefault/vans_pro_shops_sports_160A/flashcreative.html/34623634363831363438336564326230?_RM_EMPTY_

With the six-year deal signed, Lasker, a right-handed pitcher, reported to the Maryvale Baseball Complex in Phoenix on June 9 and his professional career was under way.

"I always wanted to do this, but during my junior year when the scouts started showing up is when I first thought it was possible," he said. "I thought maybe I'd get drafted out of high school and although I thought it might be earlier it was good enough for me."

Lasker was taken in the fifth round, 158th overall, by the Brewers despite being shut down as a pitcher for a good portion of the season because of bicep tendonitis. There were some scouts who thought he had first-round talent, but the injury, along with a hamstring injury, held him back.

"He obviously had a future ahead of him and I wasn't going to be the guy who derailed that," Sandra Day O'Connor coach Jeff Baumgartner said. "We were cautious with him, but it left him strong at the end of the year."

Lasker, who is named Maverick after Tom Cruise's character in Top Gun, went the distance in an eight-inning, 3-2 win over Tucson Catalina Foothills in the Class 4A Division I semifinals and also had the game-winning hit with the bases loaded.

"That felt so good," said Lasker, whose team lost in the state title game to Scottsdale Chaparral. "I wasn't myself all year and it was frustrating. That was my time to help the team. I finally felt like myself."

He finished the season 3-0 with a 0.97 ERA in 29 innings. He allowed only 13 hits to the 120 batters he faced, while walking 13 and striking out 27.

None of the really matters now as his new teammates, the ones he is staying with in a Tempe hotel, almost all had dominating numbers.

The 6-foot-3, 195-pound Lasker is now a professional. The team is going through drills - a lot of pitcher's fielding practice - and throwing bullpen sessions in preparation of the Arizona Rookie League season starting Monday.

"It's been great," Lasker said. "We are doing a lot of basic stuff, but they want to see where we are at mechanically and they are making adjustments."

Lasker, who has been dealing with a sore back but no ill effects from the bicep or hamstring problems, told MLB.com what it means to be a professional.

"To me, 'professional' means everything is run the right way. And no excuses," Lasker told the reporter.

Couldn't agree more with splitter's last post.

Having lived through having things done the exact wrong way under Bando and Taylor (at least he hired Jack though), it sure is nice to see a front office and scouting department with an exact idea of what they want to do, and then executing their plan about as well as it can be executed. As long as Lintz signs soon, I think the execution portion of the draft gets an A+. We'll have to see how the players turn out, but the plan was nailed.

Also, as a full-time lurker/rare poster, I just want to take the opportunity to thank all the people on this thread, namely Colby, Battlekow and Bambis for doing all the work for us in finding (and sometimes conducting) all of the interviews, articles, etc. I read every word on this site and am a much more informed fan because of it.

Quick updates on the three unsigned, non-Brett Lawrie Canadian draftees, whose signing statuses are, like Lawrie's, complicated by the World Junior Championships:

23rd-round OF Marcus Knecht from St. Michael's College HS (ON) is going to play in the Worlds* and talk to the Brewers after that. He said he would need around $450K to sign him away from Oklahoma State. He was expecting to go in or around the 7th round, but sent teams an email two days before the draft telling him he was going to school and not to draft him.

40th-round LHP Nick Fogarty from Thornlea SS (ON) is most likely not going to play in the Worlds, but probably isn't going to sign, either. He didn't specify what the Brewers had offered him, but said neither the round nor the money were what he was looking for.

45th-round 2B James Kottaras from Milliken HS (ON) is, like Knecht, going to talk to the Brewers again after the Worlds*. He said he told the team he wanted $150K, but would consider signing at $125K. He referenced fellow Canadian high schooler Michael Crouse, who got $150K in the 16th round from the Blue Jays.

Neither Knecht nor Kottaras sounded very optimistic about signing.

*The final 18-man roster isn't set yet, but they seemed pretty sure they would make it.

19th-round RHP Blake Billings said that he hopes to sign by next week. His signing is currently being held up by Seth Lintz, who has to sign before Billings can (I'm not entirely sure why--they share the same scout, and Billings said the picks had to sign in "chronological order".). Before Lintz can sign, he has to take a physical in Milwaukee, and he can't do that until the doctor has an open time, which is next week.

I just talked to 44th-round RHP Kaleb Herren from North Central Texas CC, and he said that he was very keen on signing, but the Brewers were going to treat him as a mini-DFE. They were apparently going to come out and watch him pitch last week, but something came up. They're going to observe him a few times throughout the summer and, presumably, sign him if they like what they see. But anyway, he's all for going pro.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wouldn't you like to see battlekow's phone bill these days? And folks thought I didn't sleep --

Supplemental First Round RHP Jake Odorizzi interviewed at BrewCrewBall

battlekow will henceforth simply be referred to as "the prolific one".

I wish I could take credit for this one, but I think it was someone at the J-S who said Jake's nickname has to be "Eggs".

Think about it - nice!

you guys should add that title underneath his name.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Signing Bonuses Thus Far (Rank is Number of Draft Selection):

Rank Club Player Pos. Class B-T HT WT School Hometown Birthdate Status Bonus
32. Brewers Jake Odorizzi RHP Sr. R-R 6-2 170 Highland HS Highland, Ill. 3-27-90 SIGNED $1,060,000
35. Brewers Evan Fredrickson LHP Jr. L-L 6-6 250 U. of San Francisco Oak Hill, Va. 9-23-86 SIGNED $1,010,000
54. Brewers Cutter Dykstra SS Sr. R-R 6-0 180 Westlake HS Thousand Oaks, Calif. 6-29-89 SIGNED $737,000
62. Brewers Cody Adams RHP Jr. R-R 6-2 180 Southern Illinois U. Viola, Ill. 11-26-86 SIGNED $653,000
94. Brewers Logan Schafer OF Jr. L-L 6-1 170 Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Calif. 9-8-86 SIGNED $404,000
128. Brewers Josh Romanski LHP/OF Jr. L-L 6-1 185 U. of San Diego Corona, Calif. 10-18-86 SIGNED $247,000
158. Brewers Maverick Lasker RHP/3B Sr. R-R 6-3 190 Sandra D. O'Connor HS Glendale, Ariz. 2-18-90 SIGNED $176,000
188. Brewers Jose Duran SS Jr. R-R 5-11 190 Texas A&M U. Fort Worth, Texas 11-27-86 SIGNED $131,500
218. Brewers Trey Watten 3B/RHP Jr. R-R 6-3 195 Abilene Christian U. Coppell, Texas 12-16-86 SIGNED $100,000
248. Brewers Erik Komatsu OF Jr. L-L 5-10 190 Cal State Fullerton Camarillo, Calif. 10-1-87 SIGNED $130,000
278. Brewers Michael Bowman RHP Jr. R-R 6-3 195 Virginia Military Institute Richmond, Va. 5-2-87 SIGNED $85,000
308. Brewers Greg Miller RHP Jr. R-R 6-4 205 Seton Hall U. Hammonton, N.J. 2-8-87 SIGNED $75,000

I'm kind of surprised Fredrickson signed for so much.

He signed for slot. Why is that suprising?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Komatsu signed for more than Watten who went 30 picks in front of him. Is it common to see that?

Yes, its kind of a free for all after the 5th round. The only requirement (suggestion actually) is the commissioners office asks teams to sign players after round 5 to more than the amount slotted for the last player of round 5, which this year is up to $150,000. This year theres also been a 2 player exemtion for up to $250,000. to the best of my knowlege, the Brewers have yet to exercise those exemtions.

What are the repercussions to an organization for signing a player above slot? Are there any?

No penalties, but supposedly its counted against you in things like all-star game consideration and others favors a team might ask of the commissioners office.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Official confirmation of the signings of Wooten, Luetge and Roberts from Brewers.com

Brewers announce three additional draft signings
06/30/2008 12:16 PM ET
MLB.com

MILWAUKEE -- The Milwaukee Brewers have signed three additional draft selections from the 2008 First-Year Player Draft and have now signed 32 of the 54 players that the team selected and one passed over player, it was announced today by Jack Zduriencik, Vice President - Special Assistant to the General Manager for Player Personnel. Of the first 20 draft selections by the Brewers, 18 have now signed.

These three signings include 13th round pick (398th overall) RHP Rob Wooten from the University of North Carolina, 21st round selection LHP Lucas Luetge from Rice University and 38th round pick C Mike Roberts from Virginia Military Institute.

Wooten went 6-2 with a 1.87 ERA (62.2ip, 13er) and five saves in 44 appearances during his senior season at North Carolina. He helped lead the Tar Heels to the College World Series semifinals before being eliminated by the College World Series Champion Fresno State Bulldogs.

Luetge also participated in the College World Series and went 1-0 with a 6.16 ERA (30.2ip, 21er) and one save in 17 games (3 starts) during his junior season with the Rice Owls. Roberts batted .298 with nine home runs and 44 RBI in 50 games played during his junior season at Virginia Military Institute.

Update on 41st-round pick (and 2007 39th-round pick) Joe Scott:

Cal State Fullerton baseball player works toward bachelor's degree

By JERRY SOIFER

The Press-Enterprise

Corona Centennial High graduate Joe Scott has never allowed his baseball ambition to obscure his vision of life after his playing days are done.

He has compiled enough units at Cal State Fullerton to be a year away from graduating while being a member of the nationally ranked baseball team at Cal State Fullerton University. Scott has played twice in the College World Series.

Scott, 21, is due to graduate in June with a bachelor's degree in kinesiolology.

This summer he's soaking up all he can learn about the game and Alaska while playing shortstop for the Anchorage Glacier Pilots in a wood-bat league that is part of the National Baseball Congress.

Pros swing wood bats at all levels. Scott has swung an aluminum bat in college, high school and young leagues.

"It's kind of fun," Scott said. "It brings me back to how baseball is meant to be played, how they play in the major leagues. It's hard to hit with a wood bat. ... It feels like the major leagues. You're playing every day."

Scott said he is striving to improve his hitting while staying steady in the field.

Life isn't all baseball. He is staying with a host family, Arnie and Wendy McKinnon. They took him out fishing on Prince William Sound. He saw a glacier break apart during a flight in a private plane.

"It's not what I expected," said Scott by phone.

"When you hear of Alaska, you think of sled dogs and igloos."

The team has supplied him with a courtesy car, which has forced him to learn how to use a stick shift.

"The first couple of days I was stalling and screeching out," he said.

Scott's biological clock has had to adjust to summer in Alaska.

"The sun really doesn't go down until 12:30 a.m.," Scott said.

"It comes back up at 3 a.m. It's never dark. Most of our games start at 7 p.m. We're playing in the sun the whole time."

He hit .289, and had 11 RBI and 12 runs scored while playing for Cal State Fullerton last spring in a difficult season.

Scott missed the start due to surgery.

When he came back, freshman Christian Colon had taken the shortstop position where Scott started the previous season. He was moved to second base and started 22 of the Titans' final 43 games. The Titans finished with a 41-22 record.

Scotts' girlfriend, Alicia Payne, said, "His fans were more frustrated than him about not playing. He was smart about playing his role and not pushing his coaches (to let him play). He was more patient than me and his mom."

Scott has a backup plan about playing professional baseball. He will have a degree in case it doesn't last too long, Payne said.

"He's very level-headed," said Payne, a fellow Corona High grad and Cal State Fullerton student.

Scott was a late-round selection by the Milwaukee Brewers in the recent Major League draft.

He turned the Brewers down in 2007 when they picked him. Scott said there's a chance he might sign a professional contract if he plays well this summer.

http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2008/07-04/wspot04_400.jpg

Corona resident Joe Scott, a Centennial High School graduate, runs the bases for the Cal State Fullerton baseball team.

Archived