Brewer Fanatic

Kevin Millwood

The brewers probably are going to be looking for a starting pitcher, if we are in it still come july. Other than Maddux, Millwood would be my favorite of the pitchers that are for sure available. Last year was a down year for Millwood, the biggest reason, I think was his walk rate which rose to 3.3 per nine, and his K rate, which was 6.0 per 9. This year, Millwood has got his walk rate back down to normal for him, at 2.7, his K rate is at 5.7 so that is cause for concern. Millwood makes 8.5 this year, 11 next, and 12 in 2010. Which even if he posts an ERA in the mid 4's is still not that bad if you get 180-200 innings out of him.

I am wondering if a package of GIllespie, and Hammond would be enough to get him if we took on all of his salary. Is that too much, or too little. Also am I crazy for thinking that he would be a valuable part of the rotation, consider the park he pitches in, the little problems he pitched through last year, and the innings he logs.

All his salary? Then the Brewers are paying Suppan and Millwood over $48 million over the next two years to be average or slightly below average pitchers. Sure, Millwood has been better than average at times, but that is a lot of money for a not very sure thing, not to mention that Millwood has had some injury concerns in his career.

I just don't see any reason to pay Millwood and Suppan almost $25 million per year over two years if you're the Brewers. That's too much of the payroll tied up in guys that aren't anything special. I've always felt that you pay the special players top dollar, not the average guys.

I know he has injury problems but we could send some outfielders to oakland because they are very weak there and a bill hall to play as a utility/dh for rich harden. rich harden is amazing if healthy

Archived