Brewer Fanatic

Shields Plunks Coco Crisp; Brawl Ensues.

lcbj68c

From Closing Time over on Yahoo:

On Wednesday, Coco Crisp went into second unnecessarily hard on a stolen base attempt, colliding with Akinori Iwamura. That displeased Rays' manager Joe Maddon, who later said, "I totally felt it was an intent to hurt our middle infielder."

Maddon and Crisp exchanged words. Crisp described his side of the discussion this way:

"I don't know if he could hear what I was saying, but basically I was saying I did that on my own, don't punish anyone else on the team. Don't get Petey (Dustin Pedroia), don't get (Julio) Lugo, don't get AC (Alex Cora) sliding hard at second base. Get me with a pitch. If you want to retaliate with somebody, I'm the man."
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I know it is wrong of me, but I really enjoy good baseball fights. Jonny Gomes absolutely clocked Crisp when he was on the ground.

As long as we're being wrong http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif I think Crisp should get another one the next time the face each other. For me, he came across as a smug little punk who was trying to sound tough, after being the one that started the whole thing, in his post game interview.

He costs his team a baserunner by "attempting" to steal a base (that he had no intention of being successful) because he's mad the guy blocked second base the time before - maybe that's what Youkilis and Ramirez were discussing... but I'd rather like to think it was a teammate finally telling Manny, "You've hit over 500 homeruns, act like you've done it before"

The McClung/Yost/Pujols incident came late in a game, late in the season during a pennant race. That is why a lot of people had a problem with it. This was what the 2nd inning of a game in early June. Seems different to me at least. That is why I don't have a problem that Maddon had Shields throw at Crisp.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

That was a pretty big first punch thrown by Shields, it's too bad he didn't connect. That slide last night by Crisp was super cheap.

I'm glad it didn't connect. He's on my FBB team and he probably would have been hurt if he connected.

Crash: "Nuke... tell me something. Did you hit me with your right or your left?"

Nuke: "My left."

Crash: "Good. Good. That's terrific..."

Nuke: "What?"

Crash: "If ya get in a fight with some a$$hole, never hit his with your pitching hand. Ya might get injured."

The ONLY thing that is different about this situation is that it's June. I dont buy that argument. Game #60 counts the same as game #140. I'm all for retaliation in both circumstances.

The ONLY thing that is different about this situation is that it's June. I dont buy that argument. Game #60 counts the same as game #140. I'm all for retaliation in both circumstances.

I'm not.

I agree with you that what is stupid in June is stupid in September. The Rays are only 1.5 out of first, and leading the WC race in the AL.

If Yost had sent our #2 starter to hit a player, risk losing a game, and perhaps incurring injury or suspension of a key starter in the rotation -- you can be assured I'd be livid.

I think the whole idea of hitting players is jackassery.

I don't know if any of you saw the postgame interview with Crisp either but he basically said (paraphrasing): "They were scratching at me like little girls. None of them hit me hard or hurt me." He sort of calls out Gomes in this as well.

Here's a link to the video.

I just saw it on SC... it's not during the video, but in the dugout, Youkilis says something to Manny and Manny more or less throws a backhanded punch/push (not like a haymaker or anything) and the guys get seperated. Youkilis looks generally confused by the reaction.

I'm not.

I agree with you that what is stupid in June is stupid in September. The Rays are only 1.5 out of first, and leading the WC race in the AL.

If Yost had sent our #2 starter to hit a player, risk losing a game, and perhaps incurring injury or suspension of a key starter in the rotation -- you can be assured I'd be livid.

I think the whole idea of hitting players is jackassery.

Injury, yes. Suspension, no. The standard has been set at 4 games, not likely to affect his next start and if so, just pushes him back a day.

Not that I condone it, but Crisp is a punk who should get used to getting knocked down by Rays relievers every time he comes up to bat if Tampa has a lead, from now on.

If he takes his HBP like a man instead of the "little girl" he accused the Rays who hit him of being, the incident is over.

And, yes, a game in June counts just like a game in September. It's still dumb baseball to deliberately disadvantage your team by getting suspended.

I just saw it on SC... it's not during the video, but in the dugout, Youkilis says something to Manny and Manny more or less throws a backhanded punch/push (not like a haymaker or anything) and the guys get seperated. Youkilis looks generally confused by the reaction.

Come on now. It's just Manny being Manny. Whatever that means.

I don't know if any of you saw the postgame interview with Crisp either but he basically said (paraphrasing): "They were scratching at me like little girls. None of them hit me hard or hurt me." He sort of calls out Gomes in this as well.

Here's a link to the video.

I didn't know that only little girls played football. Haha..

I don't condone throwing at players heads but if there was ever a time to throw at a players head it was Crisp's.

That guy is a clown plain and simple and I don't know what the precedent for suspension is for his actions but 10 games sounds right for me.

That play last night was ridiculous retaliation for blocking second base on a steal (apparently what Crisp was upset about)

And Charging the mound is ridiculous retaliation for getting your lower body thrown at after trying to purposely injure someone.

Although I see why Shields did it, I was a little upset because he is on my fantasy team and because of the ejection he only pitched two innings. And they were lousy.

Personally, Crisp should have known it was coming and he needs to wear it like a man and go to first. It's not like Shields went above the shoulder or eve close to that.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

The Red Sox manage to combine the worst of the fan base of the Yankees and the Cubs. Insufferable fan base totally in love with themselves and their mythology (though it is funny how the weaklings of the American League are now so puff-chested). That what happens to "The Nation," as ESPN gratingly is calling them now, apparently, leads all the broadcasts makes sense in that they are the defending champions. But I'm throwing all my sympathies to the Rays. I see them failing gloriously, but this Crisp thing is just the latest reason to dislike the Red Sox.

In the midst of the Brewers 8th inning meltdown, the Colorado Rockies' Jeff Baker slid into Weeks in a manner just as dirty as Crisp did to the Rays player. I have no idea how Weeks came out of the play without a torn ACL. The Brewers did not even remotely balk at the play, which seemed as bush league as bush can get to me.

In the midst of the Brewers 8th inning meltdown, the Colorado Rockies' Jeff Baker slid into Weeks in a manner just as dirty as Crisp did to the Rays player. I have no idea how Weeks came out of the play without a torn ACL. The Brewers did not even remotely balk at the play, which seemed as bush league as bush can get to me.

Retaliation the next game would be appropriate...

Archived