Brewer Fanatic

Shields Plunks Coco Crisp; Brawl Ensues.

lcbj68c

well, it all started from last night's "late" slide by Crisp at 2nd base.

I'm kind of glad to see that the Rays are not being pushovers anymore. And the "big boys" are kind of perturbed about it (Yankees in Spring Training, Red Sox today).

edit: by the way, the video is HIGHLY likely to get pulled from youtube any time now.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Just watching Sportscenter. It looks like the reason Crisp made that late slide last night was because earlier in yesterday's game he slid into 2nd base and it was being blocked by a Tampa player. Crisp didn't like that.

I don't know if any of you saw the postgame interview with Crisp either but he basically said (paraphrasing): "They were scratching at me like little girls. None of them hit me hard or hurt me." He sort of calls out Gomes in this as well.

These two teams do not like each other.

And to top it all off, Manny Ramirez took a swing at Kevin Youkilis in the dugout later in the game.

southpaw121505[/b]]that incident with manny and youkilis was bizarre, what happened?

I have no idea. But one of the ESPN guys speculated that maybe Youkilis said something like "Where were you?" in relation to the brawl. Manny, feeling his toughness/manhood being challenged, took a swing at him. Pure speculation though.

Just from his demeanor and attitude, Crisp seems like a thug. But that is just one man's opinion.

I really like the Rays. It seems as if the Sox and Yanks are a little annoyed that they are in it up to this point, and even more annoyed that they seem to have some staying power, as if they shouldn't be allowed to be good. They are one of my favorite teams aside from the Brewers.

Follow me on Twitter

The Sox and Rays have been testy with each other going back for awhile now, though.

Pedroia got hit the first inning, which might have added to Crisp's testiness. He doesn't come off looking good at all here though, after going on and on last night about how if they wanted to retaliate, they should hit him and not a teammate, not being able to take it when it happened, and then grinning his way through the fight and his postgame comments. I like a good basebrawl, but given that team is without Ortiz and Ramirez is DHing because of his hamstrings, leaving the outfield configuration already a little wacky, it's a pretty selfish decision to make. Ellsbury going down in the 4th only made it worse.

Thought 1: Good of Shields not to throw at his head. I'm okay with it as long as its below the 'pits. Anything at the head is just plain stupid and should result in a serious penalty.

Thought 2: The whole ritual of the brawl is pretty funny. Its two guys fighting, then the first two out there to pull the two apart go at it, and then the other 39 guys just try to restore order.

Thought 3: Man those Rays' unis look like they are generic ones that shipped with a mid-90's computer game with fictional teams. Ugh.

I don't have a problem with it at all, sometimes you have to make statement, and I think the message has been sent. I know there's no statistical proof or way to quantify the impact, but I approve of the bean, the brawl, and any resulting suspension. Crisp got exactly what he had coming to him.

I remember there was a segment in one of the "When it was a game" series where they were talking about Gibson, and Mayes said he got in the box and part of his normal routine was to dig in his back foot. Well he's digging out his hole, and looks up and Gibson is scowling at him. Mayes fills the hole back in and Gibson knocks him down on the first pitch anyway... "No one digs in against me".

It's a shame that pitchers don't have the ability to control the plate anymore, or even the score without a warning or getting tossed.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I have no idea. But one of the ESPN guys speculated that maybe Youkilis said something like "Where were you?" in relation to the brawl. Manny, feeling his toughness/manhood being challenged, took a swing at him. Pure speculation though.

ah thanks, I didn't catch that. Whatever it was, Manny sure was pissed while Youkilis looked unsure about what was even happening.

Crew2323, I really like the Rays too, I've always liked them actually. Although I'm sure that looks pretty bandwagon of me now.

I'm surprised hardly anybody had a problem with this. If that had been Yost/McClung/Pujols, suddenly that move is stupid, the season compromised, and the other team got in their head? I dont get the two-face reaction and beginning to think when it comes to the Brewers it's all about Yost and nothing more.

I'm surprised hardly anybody had a problem with this. If that had been Yost/McClung/Pujols, suddenly that move is stupid, the season compromised, and the other team got in their head? I dont get the two-face reaction and beginning to think when it comes to the Brewers it's all about Yost and nothing more.

Apples and oranges. The context of the Pujols incident was completely different (in about 15 different ways).

I have to agree with RU, different situation. Sure, Tampa is battling for the top with the Sawx, and every game is important, but it is still June. Now is the time to retaliate, not clinging to a lead late in a game that you KNOW is a must win. For Tampa, if they lose out by one game, they can turn to look to this one if they so choose. Probably not though.

My feeling is that Ned doesn't throw at guys enough. He takes a moral high road approach, but I think they guys want to be backed up. If Braun or Fielder start getting plunked a lot, I would like to see some payback.

Archived