Brewer Fanatic

Sheets blurb in Sporting News

In June 9 issue:

"Hoping your team can get a blockbuster arm at the trading deadline this season? Don't count on it. Multiple sources say the two biggest upcoming free-agent pitchers - Indians LHP C.C. Sabathia and Brewers RHP Ben Sheets - won't be available this summer, even if extension talks go nowhere. Says one team executive: "It seems like both of those teams think they can re-sign those guys and don't need to make a trade under pressure." Dodgers RHP Derek Lowe, though, could be available."

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Said Brewers GM, Doug Melvin, "Honestly, I don't think we have any chance of resigning Sheets. When you also consider the Cubs great start, I'm feeling extreme pressure to trade Benny now or risk letting him go to another club this summer for nothing."

It's impossible to separate the posturing from reality, IMO.

I still think that if they can dump Suppan in the offseason, they can keep Sheets. Now, whether it would be smart for a team like the Brewers to take the risk of signing a guy like Sheets to a huge contract is another story.

The can keep Sheets no matter what. Increases in revenue (especially the TV ratings glitch), along with their bullpen having roughly $25 million in expiring contracts makes it quite possible

We need to add one big arm and we are fine. I still want to see what Suppan can do in September and especially October. I dont understand why everybody is so down on him and eager to cut him.

Sheets 12M

Free-Agent (Sabathia?) 12M

Gallardo 600,000

Suppan 8M

Parra 400,000

That's pretty solid.

Sheets 12M

Free-Agent (Sabathia?) 12M

Gallardo 600,000

Suppan 8M

Parra 400,000

You might be able to get Sheets for $12M, more likely $14-16M though and Sabathia even more. Suppan's salary also rises to the $12M range.

(pared back long quote --1992)

Said Brewers GM, Doug Melvin, "Honestly, I don't think we have any chance of resigning Sheets. When you also consider the Cubs great start, I'm feeling extreme pressure to trade Benny now or risk letting him go to another club this summer for nothing."

It's impossible to separate the posturing from reality, IMO.

Is that a quote?

that should have been in blue im sure. Melvin would never say anything like that. Though I feel the Brewers will roll the dice and keep Sheets. Lose momentum with the fringe fans otherwise, plus you get comp picks in the draft.

There was an article in hardball times about a pitcher's drop in velocity in relation to age. If it holds true, Sheets is now entering the age (29) where he loses 1 mph off his fastball each of the next 3 years.

Forget about his propensity for injury, signing sheets even for four years would be a huge risk. He is still a two pitch pitcher, and if that fastball comes down to 90-91, how good will he be?

Says one team executive: "It seems like both of those teams think they can re-sign those guys and don't need to make a trade under pressure."

Why compensation picks still go unmentioned in this day & age is beyond me.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think the compensation system is broke anyway, though I'm not complaining with 4 extra picks this year.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I dont think so for the most part. It penalizes team for shelling out for top free agents. It helps. I like the new rules on getting a pick next year if you can't sign yours this year. That will help keep those players with huge demands in line to some degree.

I don't understand why these discussions always devolve into whether the Brewers COULD afford Sheets. I think it's easy to see how they could make the financial resources available if they want to. The real question, IMO, is whether they SHOULD spend the money it would take. I guess we first need to come to a consensus on what he would get on the open market. 4 years , $15 mil without question, right? More like 5/100? That's assuming he logs 200+ inning this year, of course.

I don't understand why these discussions always devolve into whether the Brewers COULD afford Sheets.
Exactly. There's no doubt with the Gagne money coming free and the good revenue stream coming in that we could afford Sheets. I think it's a no brainer to sign him even with the risk. You make your gambles on pitching and play it safe with hitting which is why I wouldn't spend the money on Prince and trade him for pitching.

I don't think the Brewers would be willing to go much more than 3 years and almost certainly not more than 4. I don't think it matters what we could spend per year. I think another team will be willing to give Sheets at least one more year than we are willing to go.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

You put LaPorta in the outfield, move Hart to center. I don't know who plays right, Braun or LaPorta, whatever. Bye bye Mike Cameron.

Savings: $7,000,000

This goes without saying, but, good bye Eric Gagne.

Savings: $10,000,000

Trade Suppan for whoever you can get for him. Make the trade that saves us the most money regardless of who we get back. Even if we have to pay half his salary for the next two years: victory.

Savings: $6,000,000 in '09 and 7,000,000 in '10

Craig Counsell is making 2.8 MIL. Enough said.

Savings: $2,800,000

Bill Hall wants to be traded. Very well.

Savings: $4,900,000 (possibly more)

These moves free up just over $30 Million in 2009.

Sign Ben Sheets

Sign a veteran third baseman who can at the very least play defense and hit for average.

Let a prospect fill Counsell's role and push Rickie and JJ for playing time.

Get a solid reliever if the opportunity presents itself.

You can do this and still have some cash left over. Even if you don't do everything, the one thing that you MUST do is swap Sheets for Suppan. I know that sounds funny but when Gallardo comes back that is essentially what you are doing.

Rluz nailed it, the team can afford Sheets, but is it money well spent considering Ben's skills will start to decline? The market for pitching is worse than hitting, I would agrue that Suppan's 12.5 mil next year isn't money well spent, but the market is what it is. Is Sheets worth 15 mil a year? Absolutely. Can the Brewers afford to pay any pitcher 15 per while he's on the DL? Absolutely not. Free agency isn't a good market for the Brewers, but free agent pitching especially isn't. If the Brewers don't resign Sheets then Melvin has all winter to move one of the young bats if the team needs to aquire more pitching. Like or not, the Brewers will always have to be value conscience in the current economic state of baseball, they do not have the money to throw around that the big market teams do... I don't like it at all, but that's just the way it is.

You make your gambles on pitching and play it safe with hitting which is why I wouldn't spend the money on Prince and trade him for pitching.

Playing it safe is signing a bat, they much less likely to suffer a career altering injury, the risky moves are free agent pitching. I think you meant signing Fielder involves more risk long term than Sheets? In general I think hitters are the much safer bet in free agency so I'm a bit confused.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I only see one pretty remote chance that Sheets stays in Milwaukee

That being Ben really wanting to remain here and taking a discount to do so. If he wants top dollars or very close to top dollars, he won't get it in Milwaukee.

I think the Brewers could afford sheets at something around 3 years @ 45, but the problem that I forsee is that another club will offer him a long term contract, ie Barry Zito. I hope Melvin and Mark A make a serious contract run at him over the All Star break.

Verified Member
It's starting to become more and more clear. Most people say this team needs one more big are to make it, if Sheets goes, that becomes two arms. Mark A has more or less ponied up for everything else. I think they've got to try and keep him for another 4 -5 years, even if there's huge risk/waste in the last 2-3 years. If they're willing to pay Suppan 12.5 and 14.5, why would they pay more for Sheets? (short of an injury this year)

the brewers need to do whatever they can to resign sheets. it would be a shame for the organization (and the fans) to develop this group of guys (braun, fielder, hart, hardy, weeks, etc) and then cripple the team's chances by not having the pitching to support it. they have no one near Sheets' level on the staff and the team is going no where with out him.

Is it a risk to sign him to a long term deal? Yes - a huge one. But it is one that they need to take since they havent had any success in developing his succesor. gallardo might be that guy, but he is coming off of 2 knee surgeries, 1 major one, and who knows when or if he will ever be the same. anybody else that they try to sign is going to cost huge dollars as well and still be a risk. Look what Suppan cost them to get!

also, the idea that getting some compensatory draft picks for losing high caliber players makes it worthwhile is garbage. this isnt football or basketball where these guys can help the team out anytime soon. getting 2 extra guys who might possibly turn into a good player in 3-5 years does not make up for losing the ace of your staff...

Archived