Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

I think some people confuse "lack of competitiveness" with "poise." An uninformed observer might also say that Gallardo has a "lack of competitiveness."

That was in fact the knock on Gallardo early in his prospect-dom.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like the Cardinals were interested in Adams in the third round

Adams goes to Brewers in second round

LINK (while active)

Jun 05, 2008 10:05PM

By Shane McDonough, shaner@qconline.com

In the very near future, Cody Adams could have the chance to call himself a professional baseball player and a beer maker in the same sentence. Nothing could have turned out better for former Sherrard High School baseball standout on the first day of the Major League Baseball draft Thursday. With the 62nd pick overall, the Milwaukee Brewers drafted Adams in the second round.

``It's the biggest accomplishment that I have ever experienced in my life,'' said Adams. ``If you would have told me three years ago before I went to college (Southern Illinois University) that I would have a chance to be drafted in the second round; I would have called you crazy.''

Pacing back and forth and barely eating anything for most of the day, Adams watched the first round of the draft on ESPN2 and then the second round via the internet. As it turned out, he became one of the highest draft picks from the Quad-Cities area. The top honor still belongs to East Moline product Mike Butcher, who was a second round pick (36th overall) of the Kansas City Royals back in 1986. There have been three others drafted in the first 10 rounds locally -- Davenport Central preps Vince Jackson (8th round/222 to the N.Y. Mets) and Zach Kenyon (9th/276 to the Royals last year) and Rock Island's Chris Allison (9th/243 to Boston).

Earlier in the day, Adams' agent called and said that there were 17 to 18 teams looking at him early in the third round, including the St. Louis Cardinals, whose Class A team plays here in the Midwest League. After seeing his name scroll as the 62nd pick by the Brewers, Adams was shocked.

``I think it's great to get drafted by the Brewers, they treat their players well through the farm system,'' said Adams, who just finished his junior year at SIU. ``They are on a short list of teams that I was hoping that I would get drafted by.''

Adams is line for a nice little paycheck after contract negotiations are figured out. Last year's 62nd pick landed a signing bonus of over a half-million dollars.

``It's something that I'm not going to think too much about, because you only have one opportunity to play pro ball,'' said Adams. ``I don't want anything handed to me, I want to work hard and hopefully move my way through the system.''

As for the immediate future, Adams is unsure what will happen. After being drafted, he received phone calls from Brewers scouts saying they will keep in touch as to what happens next.

``Things are a little hectic right now, I'm getting phone calls every two minutes from somebody,'' said Adams, who finished with a 21-13 record in his three years at SIU. ``Its just nice to know that I have a lot of support from my friends, family and teammates. But right now I just want to play some baseball.''

The Brewers have two rookie-ball teams -- one located in Phoenix and the other in Helena, Mont. Their Class A teams are located in Viera, Fla. and Charleston, W.V. The club's Double-A team is in Hunstville, Ala., and its Triple-A team is in Nashville.

``It will be fun to travel and meet new people, but I may be a little disappointed not being able to play ball in the Quad-Cities,'' said Adams of not getting to play in own stomping grounds in the Midwest League. ``I'm just going to have to work hard so that eventually my family and fans can drive the two or three hours to see me in Milwaukee.''

According to this article, Cody Adams has hit 97 MPH with his fastball

Sherrard grad Adams picked by Brewers in Round 2

LINK (while active)

By Craig DeVrieze | Saturday, June 07, 2008

Cody Adams surrendered his childhood allegiance a few years ago.

"I grew up a Cardinals fan, but I came to the realization a while ago that if I was going to play professional baseball, I couldn't have a favorite team,'' said the 21-year-old former Sherrard High School standout hurler. "That way I couldn't be disappointed.''

Adams has a favorite baseball team now: The Milwaukee Brewers.

And he definitely was not disappointed when the Brew crew tabbed the Southern Illinois junior in the second round of the Amateur Baseball Draft.

The Brewers surprised Adams by spending the 62nd overall pick on the promising young fireballer. He had anticipated a third-round call.

"I feel great," said the

6-foot-2, 180-pound resident of Viola, Ill., whose second-round call is believed to be the earliest ever for a Saluki. "The Brewers were one of the teams I wanted to go to. Their farm system is one of the best around, and I will have fun developing over the next couple of years."

Adams, a right-hander, just completed an all-Missouri Valley Conference junior season in which he was 6-4 with a 3.75 earned run average. He struck out 78 batters while walking 23.

He was 21-13 over his three SIU seasons with a 3.64 ERA and 199 strikeouts and 63 walks.

Adams has a fastball that has topped out at 97 miles per hour and averages about 94 mph. He has a four-pitch repertoire that includes a four-seam fastball, a sinker, a straight change-up and a slider.

He said he expects contract negotiations to last up to two weeks but would have left to join the Milwaukee system Wednesday night, if able.

"I am extremely anxious," he said. "I wish they would send me off (today) to start me on the road to Milwaukee."

There is no question he will launch his career soon.

"It has been my dream since I was a kid to have an opportunity to play pro ball," he said. "I kind of have to go with it."

"`They are on a short list of teams that I was hoping that I would get drafted by.''"

Thank you Doug Melvin and Jack Z. I think it's true though. If I were a draft-eligible player I'd look to the Brewers as an example of an organization that is dedicated to developing young talent and getting you to the majors. A very good spot to go.

How far we've come.

Odorizzi runs to the rescue

Game story, not only did supplemental first rounder Jake Odorizzi throw 111 pitches, it came on only three days' rest --

"We've been riding him like Big Brown here and he just battles"

I have no idea how the rules work down there, but I thought there were innings limits on pitchers in high school. If he threw 111 pitches I would imagine that he went 7 innings. You would think he would be ineligible to pitch the next game. Maybe I am way off here, but it just seemed odd.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

More on Odorizzi's efforts in the championship game at this link.

And with the tying run at the plate and the bases loaded in the bottom of the seventh inning Saturday, Odorizzi had the ball in his capable right hand.

He basically played catch with Kuper, using fastballs hovering around the 95 mph mark to blow away the final two hitters.

"When he's excited like he just was, I don't know what the (radar) says," Hawkins said. "But he threw all those pitches yesterday and he's still got that zip."

"I told (Coach) my adrenaline was pumping, I've got these final outs, no problem," Odorizzi said. "Just let me get in there and do my thing. I came in and it was straight fastballs all the way."

I honestly don't think signing Lintz will be an issue. Early picks rarely turn down the money offered them to attend college. It happens, but the Brewers for the most part historically have not let their early picks slip away, as they typically target players they know they will be able to sign relatively quickly and get them into the system.

Because of that, I really don't think Kentucky's coaching situation will play too big of a part in this. I think Lintz' situation is just magnified given his comments on draft day, but I'm guessing he's in the system before the end of the month.

Stosh is probably the first player they took (in round 16) that will pose somewhat of a difficulty signing.

I haven't typed up the full interview yet, but here are the relevant bits:

Q: Do you think you'll sign?

A: At this point, I'm still talking with my parents and my agent, so we will come to a decision soon.

Q: You said you'd probably head to New Mexico Junior College if the Brewers didn't work out; is Florida International off the table?

A: No, I'm still considering FIU as an option, but being a pro ballplayer is something I really want to pursue.

Sounds pretty good.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link

Cody Adams, a 6-foot-2, 180-pound right-hander, was taken by the Milwaukee Brewers in the second round. The 62nd overall pick, Adams became the highest-picked Saluki since outfielder Mike Rogodzinski was taken by the Philadelphia Phillies in the second round of the 1969 draft.

Adams went 6-4 with a 3.75 ERA in 14 starts this past spring. He threw a pair of complete games, led the Salukis in strikeouts with 78, and walked 23 in 96 innings.

Adams did not immediately return a message left on his cell phone Monday afternoon, but told the Quad-City Times he expects contract negotiations to last up to two weeks in a story that ran Monday morning.

"I am extremely anxious," he told the Times. "I wish they would send me off (today) to start me on the road to Milwaukee. It has been my dream since I was a kid to have an opportunity to play pro ball. I kind of have to go with it."

Milwaukee drafted seven pitchers, including Adams, with its first 12 picks last week. The Brewers drafted 50 in all.

I am sure Mass will be putting the full report up soon in this thread but in the minor league thread there is a report that Seth Lintz will be signing on Friday. I saw numerous places that he would be tough to sign so it will be nice to get him in the fold early.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

The Brews are on Adams

By: Ian Preston, SIUDE.com

Culture shock might be one factor that would weigh on the mind of someone moving from a small town such as Viola to major city such as Milwaukee.

However, that transition is one SIU junior pitcher Cody Adams hopes he'll be making in the next few years.

Adams made history when the Milwaukee Brewers drafted him in the second round of the Major League Baseball Draft Thursday. Selected with pick 62, the Saluki right-hander became the highest-drafted SIU baseball player in head coach Dan Callahan's 14 years at the university.

"It's going to be a nice pay day for Cody," Callahan said. "I'm real proud and happy for him."

Despite struggles in the first half of the season, Adams finished with a 6-4 record and an ERA of 3.75 in 2008. He also led the Salukis in strikeouts for the second year in a row with 78.

"I have no problem with the Brewers," Adams said. "They're actually one of the teams that I wanted to go to because their farm league, their coaching staff and the way they do things. I really liked."

Adams still has a long way to go before he gets to put on a major league cap. First he'll be sent to one of the three rookie league teams in the Brewers' organization in West Virginia, Montana or Arizona. From there, it could be on to the Brewers' Class A affiliate in Florida, the Brevard County Manatees.

"It's different," Adams said. "I have to start all over from scratch and work my way up. I'm really excited though to be picked up."

Adams features a fastball that tops out in the mid-90s and a changeup that he said is his go-to pitch to get outs. However, hitters can hit fastballs in the 90s and adjust to changeups at the pro level. Callahan said Adams needs to work on his 2-seam fastball, keep improving his slider and continue to "learn how to pitch."

"What made him so good was he learned the concept of how to pitch," Callahan said. "He's using both sides of the plate and changing speeds. He's learning how to compete, not just throw."

It has been a long, strenuous process for Adams to get to this point in his career. For the last two seasons, squadrons of pro scouts armed with speed radar guns stalked Adams every time he took the mound.

"It got really old after a while and got really repetitive with all the phone calls and the meetings," Adams said. "It was just part of the process though, and I just tried to get through it without it bothering me or the team."

Adams says it was an exciting moment to hear his given name called - Thomas Adams - even if it was the one he doesn't like to hear.

"I've never gone by it unless I'm in trouble," Adams said. "I just kept thinking, man, they better not of just called me Thomas."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link, text follows:

Lawrie won't play Parksville

Vancouver Island baseball fans hoping to catch a glimpse of the latest B.C. Premier Baseball League first round pick in the Major League Baseball draft will be out of luck on Saturday.

Brett Lawrie, the 16th overall pick on the draft by the Milwaukee Brewers, won't accompany his Langley Blaze teammates when they visit the Parksville Royals Saturday at Parksville.

There's two reasons why Lawrie will be missing -- it's grad weekend for the BCPBL's highest-ever draft pick, and his playing time has been limited until he comes to a contract agreement with the Brew Crew.

"Brett doesn't know when he's going to sign," said Blaze head coach Doug Mathieson. "It's all in negotiations at this point. He's only going to be playing home games. He wants to concentrate on finishing up his grades."

If memory serves me correctly, don't the Brewers almost always wait to announce the signing of their first round draft pick until they are at home? I seem to recall all of them sitting in the dugout for a game or two, taking some BP (or throwing in the pen) at Miller Park right after they signed the contract.

With that in mind...should we be expecting a Lawrie announcement in the next couple of weeks or is it more likely that it will be a long drawn out process? It certainly hope we can sign him quickly and get him playing some pro ball in the near future.

I would think he'd be signed in the next 7-10 day if he isn't already. They've always gotten their picks into the fold as soon as possible.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

This quote from an interview with SIU catcher Mark Kelly would seem to indicate that a Cody Adams signing announcement is imminent:

DE: Do you think you could hit Cody Adams?

MK: Oh I'd own Cody! No, he's a good pitcher. I'd love to say it would be a power-power matchup but that's not true either. I'd probably just get a weak single but at least I'd get a hit. It would be interesting, I'd like to think I'd do alright against him but he's pretty good.

DE: He's (Adams) got some big money coming his way now after signing with the Milwaukee Brewers. Does he have any outstanding debts your going to talk to him about paying up now?

MK: Well considering I got him to this point, and I made him what he is today he owes me something! No, I'm just messin.' He's always been a good guy and good teammate and he never let his success get to his head. I'm just happy to see him do well and hopefully he can keep it going.

If memory serves me correctly, don't the Brewers almost always wait to announce the signing of their first round draft pick until they are at home?

I believe you are correct. I think there were rumors last year that LaPorta had signed, but they waited quite a while to announce it because they were on a road trip.

Archived