Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you think the Brewers targeted pitchers a little bit in the early going? I think I like the mix I have near complete faith in the bats that Jack drafts in the first round so I'm very happy with Lawrie particularly because he's got some defensive freedom. I wouldn't like going all high risk, but nabbing as many pitchers so far as the team has it makes it a little more palatable to go for the home run with Friedirckson. If he pans out it's an awesome pick, if not he shouldn't be the focus.

If he pans out it's an awesome pick, if not he shouldn't be the focus.

Great perspective igor. You really can't fault the organization for taking a chance on this guy. Hopefully he's more mega than Eric Mega Thomas http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

What's the left-handed verison of "Mega"?

Frederickson sounds interesting, but walking 13.4, 11.9, and 7.3 guys per 9 innings over his college career has me hoping he's not a left-handed version of Jason Neighborgall.

Notice the improving trend, and that's a big reason why scouts think he could get even better. He transferred from Virginia Tech for his junior year, and he really took well to the instruction at San Francisco, a school known for handling pitchers well. I agree 100% that Jason Neighborgall was the first name I thought of when Fredrickson was first suggested to me as a possible early-round pick about two weeks ago.

As for Logan Schafer, first of all battlekow is absolutely right that Brantley, Cain and Gillespie are completely different prospects, and Schafer really doesn't profile like any of them. He's more of a Steve Finley type of CF, with good but not great speed but makes the most of his natural baseball instincts to take excellent routes on flyballs and get good jumps on the basepaths. He has a line drive bat and a good eye at the plate, with more power potential than Brantley but less than Gillespie. If anything, he's the left-handed hitting version of Steve Moss, which should perk up Katuluu http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Cutter and Maverick really do need to play on the same team. Just imagine how confusing that could be to call if Maverick actually through a cutter http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Brewers select SIU's Adams 62nd overall

By Pete Spitler, The Southern

Cody Adams didn't have to wait long to find out his fate in the MLB draft.

Adams, a junior hurler with Southern Illinois University, was picked in the second round, 62nd overall, by Milwaukee on Thursday.

"It's a relief (to get drafted)," Adams said. "It's been stressful the last couple of days and to have it turn out the way it did, it couldn't have gone any better. "

Adams told The Southern on Tuesday that he would not return to the Salukis for his senior year, indicating that he had verbally committed to an agent and had planned to sign within a couple days.

He also becomes the highest-picked Saluki baseball player, besting former St. Louis Cardinals prospect pitcher Eric Haberer, who was picked in the third round, 90th overall, in 2004 and was released by the organization on March 20.

"That's quite an accomplishment," Adams said. "I'm almost speechless, I can't put it into words. I never expected that when I came to SIU.

Adams had a bit of a down year this past year, going 6-4 with a 3.75 ERA in 14 appearances a year after going 11-5 with a 3.01 ERA in 16 starts. He became the first Saluki pitcher to record 10 or more wins in a season in 26 years in 2007 and finished ranked 16th in wins in the nation.

SIU has a long history of draft picks. Eighteen Salukis have been drafted in coach Dan Callahan's 13-year tenure.

"It's going to be a crazy ride, and I'm not going to stop until I get to the bigs", Adams said.

According to Adams, the Brewers are going to try and keep him as a starter rather than a middle reliever or a closer. He expected to come to a contract deal within two weeks and said that Milwaukee was to give him a call Thursday night to tell him where he was going within the organization.

And what does Adams plan to do with his first MLB paycheck?

"I'm going to pay off all my student loans and probably get a reliable car to drive around", Adams said.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Tennessean:

Recent Marshall County graduate Seth Lintz was the area's top high school pick. Lintz, who struck out 155 batters in 75 innings this year, was picked in the second round - 53rd overall - by the Milwaukee Brewers.

"I don't know what I'm going to do, if I'll go or not," said Lintz, a University of Kentucky signee. "All they've told me is they drafted me. I haven't sat down with them."

The Tennessean:

Recent Marshall County graduate Seth Lintz was the area's top high school pick. Lintz, who struck out 155 batters in 75 innings this year, was picked in the second round - 53rd overall - by the Milwaukee Brewers.

"I don't know what I'm going to do, if I'll go or not," said Lintz, a University of Kentucky signee. "All they've told me is they drafted me. I haven't sat down with them."

Doesn't know if he will go or not?? How often do second rounders not sign?

Even against HS batters, that K/9 of 18 is seriously impressive.

Here was the draft reaction from Odorizzi, not sure if this has been posted yet. Seems pretty positive! link
"I know they're anxious to get Jake in a Brewers uniform very, very quick -- and we believe that's probably going to happen," Wood said.
Very nice.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Friday's tournament win -- seven scoreless innings, 111 pitches

No one at Silver Cross Field in Joliet was surprised Friday to see Milwaukee Brewers first-round draft pick Jake Odorizzi of Highland throw seven scoreless innings.

That his counterpart, Crystal Lake Central's Ryan Pollock, was up for a pitching duel was a little more stunning.

Pollock, who entered with a 4.52 earned-run average, nearly led the Tigers to an upset victory, holding Highland scoreless until being taken out in the bottom of the seventh for Connor Buxton. With two outs, Odorizzi scored on a steal and two throwing errors to give Highland a 1-0 victory in the Class 3A semifinal.

"I was more excited than intimidated," Pollock said of his reaction to going up against Odorizzi. "I haven't really faced anybody like that."

Pitching on three days' rest, Odorizzi (14-0) needed 111 pitches as the Tigers consistently worked deep counts against the 32nd player selected in Thursday's draft.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

One day after throwing 111 pitches, Jake Odorizzi came in with the bases loaded in the bottom of the seventh and struck out Jarred Hippen and Tim Jacobs to end the game, as his team took the state title.

"He just blew them away," said Highland's Corey Gall, whose two-run double in the second helped the Bulldogs build an early 3-0 lead.

"He comes in and throws gas and gets everybody out," Gifford said. "No doubt, I knew it was over. I knew we'd won state right there."

Highland coach Joel Hawkins said Odorizzi knew it, too.

"The bases were loaded and I'm thinking come on Jake, let's get through this," Hawkins said. "But Jake knew it was over. I didn't have to, he's the one that goes out there -- and he knows."

After Odorizzi pounded a fastball past Jacobs for the final out, he tossed his glove high into the air and was engulfed in a sea of celebrating Bulldogs.

In a span of three days, Odorizzi was a supplemental first-round draft pick by the Brewers and helped Highland win its first state championship.

It's tough for any graduation gift to top that double dose of distinction. Which one did Odorizzi consider a bigger accomplishment?

"The state championship, because it's a team thing," he said. "It's a great thing for me to be drafted and all and I'm just ecstatic about that.

"But it's real pleasing winning a state championship, no one will ever forget that. It's ours forever, and if I make it or don't make it in the pros, I'll always have a state championship."

So will the Bulldogs.

It is strange that one of the knocks on Odorizzi was that he lacked competitiveness on the mound. He seems very competitive and very confident. The only other knock on him was his scholarship to Louisville which I am guessing the Brewers figure they can sign him with using a sandwich pick on him. Lawrie and Odorizzi feel like to mid-first round talents to me, which is great to get out of any draft.

Wow, seems like plus makeup kid.

But 111 pitches on three days rest - then coming in for an inning the next day! He's a competitor, putting the team above his own aspirations, but you have to wonder if he even gets on the mound in Maryvale this summer. It sounds like you might have to wrap him with tape and stick him in a locker to keep him off the field, but I'd rather see him in Appalachian Power Park next April than try to dominate R ball and end up with a dead arm or some slight injury.

Am I just conditioned to worry about 1st round HS righties?

Community Moderator

Am I just conditioned to worry about 1st round HS righties?

Just keep reminding yourself that he was taken closer to where we took Gallardo than where we took Jones or Rogers. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Partly because the Brewers had the extra picks this year, and partly because I helped a little with the Official Draft Pick Thread, I really got into the draft this year. Obviously, with six early selections, this draft could have a significant impact on the team in future seasons. If you've taken the time to study those first six picks, I'd like to hear your thoughts, here are my own:

1. Brett Lawrie - This was the right pick. I don't think Lawrie had any business being available at 16, with his smashing success against tough pitching, with wood bats, I see this as a safer bet than some of the hitters who went ahead of him. Any 18-year-old has the potential to break a scout's heart, but this young man seems to have the confidence to match his obvious physical skills - I believe he will make it. Lawrie says he'll be catching in Milwaukee in "About a year and a half"...I doubt it, I think Lawrie will be playing second base in Milwaukee somewhere around July 1, 2011.

2. Jake Odorizzi - This young man has absolutely won me over, as with Lawrie, I think Odorizzi should have been taken higher than he was. It's a long way from high school to Milwaukee, but the talent here is obvious, I think Odorizzi will be very popular on this site in no time, and will eventually be a #2 starter for the Brewers. Hopefully Odorizzi will be a quick sign, if he's in the fold quickly, he'll come up in mid-2011 with Lawrie, at worst, he's here around June 1, 2012.

3. Evan Frederickson - This is the one that scared me when I heard it. Yes, I see the obvious talent, and yes, I see that the numbers have been trending in the right direction, but when you see control issues this severe, it seems like this may have been a reach. Lefties who consistently throw in the mid-90s, and who top out in the high-90s don't grow on trees, so I get it, but if the control never comes, you've just reduced the value of having the extra picks. This pick reminds me of the Mark Rogers pick, the young man lit up the radar gun, so he was chosen ahead of other, perhaps safer options. It's just my opinion, but I don't agree with that approach, I want as little doubt as possible in the early rounds. I'm rooting for you Evan, please make me eat my words.

4. Seth Lintz - I've read that he may be a tough sign, but of course I don't know if that's true. If it is, this is a gutsy pick, but I love the talent here. Like Odorizzi, this is a great pick for an NL team, a kid who can really pitch, who also hits, and should field his position well. Another high schooler, Lintz will need some time to develop, but here is another prospect with a nice combination of talent and self-confidence. If Lintz signs, I think he'll become another favorite on this site. I think Lintz will be a nice middle of the rotation guy as a major leaguer, I'll guess mid-season 2012 for his arrival date.

5. Cutter Dykstra - A very safe pick, Cutter fits Jack Z's pattern of drafting the sons of former major league players. I love this choice, if he has his father's "I don't care what you think of me" approach to the game, he'll be fine. I absolutely think this is a future major leaguer, but I won't predict his father's level of success.

6. Cody Adams - I believe the Brewers will begin grooming Adams as a reliever immediately. I think his skills match that assignment, and I believe Adams will be happy to be there, rather than grousing about not starting. If the Brewers have drafted a long-term closer, this may be your man. Adams is a college guy, who throws hard, but needs work on his secondary stuff...perhaps a perfect choice to groom as a future closer. If he continues as a starter, he's one of many in a suddenly crowded landscape, if he makes the switch to relief work, he could move very quickly if his off-speed pitches become more consistent.

Overall, I think this was a very wise draft for the Brewers, there's a lot of talent here, and the picks fit the needs of the organization. I love the heavy slant toward pitching at this point, and I love the emphasis on athletic, confident, "I am a baseball player" types, over raw, "diamond in the rough" types.

If, for once, these young arms can avoid injury, I think the Brewers will hit on at least four of these six picks. A typical "next wave" of young talent takes 3-4 years to assemble, the Brewers may wind up with one from 2008 alone.

It is strange that one of the knocks on Odorizzi was that he lacked competitiveness on the mound. He seems very competitive and very confident.

I think some people confuse "lack of competitiveness" with "poise." An uninformed observer might also say that Gallardo has a "lack of competitiveness."

Archived