Brewer Fanatic

Anthony Witrado-JS Brewers Blog

The MJS as a whole is pretty much a mess. It's really a shame that they can't seem to hire anyone who'll do a respectable job getting news out to the readers. There's a lot of up-and-coming young writers out there that are twice as talented that would kill for the chance to cover a big league team. Just promoting the guy they had covering Preps to the Brewers beat shows how much effort they really put into the search.

I realize that most here probably don't care about the Bucks, but the JS coverage of them is even worse than the Brewers, flat out miserable. The only sport they cover very well is the Packers, Bob McGinn is as good a sportswriter as i've read anywhere and Tom Silverstein is also very good at his job.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only sport they cover very well is the Packers, Bob McGinn is as good a sportswriter as i've read anywhere and Tom Silverstein is also very good at his job.

I agree completely. They don't just fill their articles with a bunch of cliche riddled garbage (except when Hunt decides to "contribute").

I will agree that Witrado's articles don't pop out at me like "wow, now this kid is a prodigy". He just seems like an average writer with little baseball knowledge. But I'm willing to give him some time to feel him out more.

The only sport they cover very well is the Packers, Bob McGinn is as good a sportswriter as i've read anywhere and Tom Silverstein is also very good at his job.

I agree completely. They don't just fill their articles with a bunch of cliche riddled garbage (except when Hunt decides to "contribute").

Even Bedard and Lori Nickel are very strong. They do an outstanding job with the Packers. I personally think Haudricourt is pretty good. He's a bit of a homer, which does get annoying, but I think he's solid.

I will agree that Witrado's articles don't pop out at me like "wow, now this kid is a prodigy". He just seems like an average writer with little baseball knowledge. But I'm willing to give him some time to feel him out more.

Witrado has baseball knowledge, he's just not a very good writer, and in my opinion he seems to be a fan first and reporter second. Don't know how many were aware of this but Witrado was drafted by the Marlins out of high school. They were stacked at his position and he was by no means a super prospect, so he just went to school instead ... but he does know the sport.

The biggest mistake the MJS made was letting Drew Olson go to some internet magazine. Drew Olson was one of the top 10 beat guys in baseball. As far as Witrado goes he is a product of his own fast rise. He doesn't think he can't do no wrong. I remember when he was on the prep beat that he would have this attitude that he was some sort of prodigy (which he was). Haudicourt is good but he is definatly not a people person but he knows his baseball. You can tell he spent a lot of time with Olson.

The MJS is going to hit rock bottom in the newspaper department soon before they make a comeback ala the Detroit and St. Louis papers have done. Their blog department is good but the writers and editors need to be flushed out.

Witrado has baseball knowledge, he's just not a very good writer, and in my opinion he seems to be a fan first and reporter second. Don't know how many were aware of this but Witrado was drafted by the Marlins out of high school. They were stacked at his position and he was by no means a super prospect, so he just went to school instead ... but he does know the sport.

You can play high school ball and still have a lot to learn about the game like myself out of high school. Maybe I'm wrong but he doesn't seem to get into the pointed details of the game. Then again like I said I've only read a few of his columns.

Verified Member
A lot of MU fans were vexed over Lori Nickel's work as MU beat writer.
Yes, Lori was terrible as the MU beat writer. She struck me more as a human interest reporter, versus a sports writer. I don't give a rip about the Packers so I can't say if she's gotten better or not.

i felt the same way when he was writing preps also. i honestly havent read much of his baseball stuff though.

You can play high school ball and still have a lot to learn about the game like myself out of high school. Maybe I'm wrong but he doesn't seem to get into the pointed details of the game. Then again like I said I've only read a few of his columns.

This is a good point. Heck, you even hear guys that played at MLB that still insist they 'know how things work' -- Dusty Baker pops into my head as the obvious first example.

I think people need to contact Witrado & the MJS to convey the sense of disappointment in the inaccuracies & lack of professionalism. There's no way that just venting about it here is going to help improve things or get the distaste taken seriously.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Hunt has become almost unreadable. His columns seem formulaic: 1. Come up with 4 to 5 references to pop culture, literary analogies or other nonsense; 2. Connect said references with a writing style that ranges from awful to mediocre; and 3. Insert conclusion that is almost entirely unsupported by writing.

Lets take today's column:

1. Phil Jackson/Zen reference, Robert Frost, Mensa, price of gas and oatmeal, Dusty Baker

2. Writing style - this one speaks for itself

3. Inserts Baker quote saying "Everything is tomorrow." The original point of the column seemed to be how Hunt was superior to the lowly fans because he doesn't get too excited about wins and losses. This transitioned to "living in the moment." Which quite obviously leads to the inevitable conclusion "Everything is tomorrow."

Let me conclude this post by stating my conclusion: I do not like reading Michael Hunt because he is a bad writer.

I like to read those blogs when I need a little laugh.

Some of what those "fans" write is pretty hilarious.

Hunt has become almost unreadable.

You had a slight error in your statement. Hope you didn't mind that I fixed it for you. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The original point of the column seemed to be how Hunt was superior to the lowly fans because he doesn't get too excited about wins and losses.

If I had the stomach for it, I'd go back to last year to read his archives. I'm sure he was pretty level headed about it all.

jhart,

Thanks for the fix, I don't know how I overlooked that error.

Russ,

I thought about going back to his archives to add further support to my "formula" theory, but ultimately decided that it wasn't worth having to re-read anything that he had previously written.

Q: John of Pittsburgh - I've only read a few dozen emails, but I must say to Anthony that you come off as an arrogant know-it-all, yet you don't even seem to have the reporting knack to find out how they clean the bleachers/seats at the park (a legit question). I'm fairly sure this won't make the mailbag, but you should know that this is the way you are seen to one outsider (Yes, still a Buccos fan after all the losing http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif ... sigh) I hope you can take this as simple constructive criticism and not a personal attack. Regards, JS

A: Anthony Witrado - They wipe them with a towel, although it's not like I sit in the ballpark after games studying the fad of cleaning up after people. I'm too busy knowing everything.

Q: Justin of Milwaukee - Anthony, you come off like an arogant prick with your responses. Valid questions are only met with sarcastic non-answers. Doesn't take much to be a Brewers beat writer, does it?

A: Anthony Witrado - Usually not.

I can't stand AW.

Archived