Brewer Fanatic

Do the Brewers lack fire?

lyonsc71
It seems to me that no one on this team ever gets really fired up about anything. Aside from Prince punching the Gatorade cooler we haven't seen a whole lot of emotion from anyone. Now, I'm not saying we need Ned kicking dirt on the umpire or throwing the rosin bag like it's a grenade, but it would be nice to see a little emotion. The team has been struggling since the break and no one seems to care. Anyone have any feelings on this?

If I knew how to post a picture I would throw the "can of worms" pic up. This has been a topic of debate several times due to Neds "I really don't care" look. He is a really passive person wherever the cameras are and most fans (myself included) that don't like Ned point to this as one of their reasons. I agree with you though, this team does seem quite vanilla...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

It seems to me like fans and players/managers view rough stretches very differently. Players will say that getting visibly upset and throwing stuff around is probably the worst thing you could do during a bad series/week/month, while fans practically demand it. It's not that the players and managers don't care, it's just that they probably have more confidence in things working themselves out than the rest of us do. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Quote:
If I knew how to post a picture I would throw the "can of worms" pic up.

Here ya go.

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/ITS/ITS223/itf139020.jpg

And I'd like to see more emotion from them as well. I'm emotional when it comes to this team so I'd like the players and coaches to show just a little emotion back.

I have mixed feelings on this topic. Part of me knows that players and management understand the concept of "peaks and valleys" much better than fans and media do. Yet, I can also see how the fans are passionate and want to see the same passion reflected out of their players. It does seem a little disheartening to lose some tough games and get the feeling that nobody in the clubhouse is upset (even though I am sure the truth is far from different).

Truthfully, I have never been in a major league clubhouse and I don't really know whether having fiery personalities really helps. But I wouldn't mind a little energy and excitement now and then.

As another poster mentioned, this team is very "vanilla". But yet we are still in first place (barely) . . so something must be working too.

I don't know.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Do the Brewers lack fire?

That depends on what you mean.

If you mean "They don't outwardly show a lot of frustration or anger when they don't perform well/lose", that appears to be the case.

If you mean "Because they don't outwardly show a lot of frustration or anger when they don't perform well/lose, they don't care (or they aren't giving their all, or they aren't selling out, etc)", then I don't agree.

Every player is an individual. I wouldn't want Fielder to act "more fiery" artificially any more than I'd like him to adopt a hitting style like Tony Gwynn.

Each player has got to be who they are. I think everyone of them cares about winning, and I think in their own way they are probably a little extra upset that they are losing more lately than they have been. Just because we don't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Fans want to justify their extreme emotional reactions to tough loses by having the players do the same. It's really that simple. I have no reason to question the Brewer's commitment to winning, so I can't see how getting angry could possibly help them.

I highly doubt there's any player in any professional sport that doesn't want to win. Seeing as being a professional baseball player is way more of a life commitment than many other jobs, if you truly didn't care how you played, you wouldn't ever make it to the highest level.

They're professional baseball players, and as far as I'm concerned, kicking coolers and breaking bats is a pretty unprofessional move that makes you look ridiculous.

I mean, I remember one time when I struck out in a game, I slammed by bat on the ground and made a mini-scene. About 10 minutes later, I felt like a total dumbass.

I think "fire" is a non-issue here.

I think the Brewers need more major-leage talent AND a manager that will play his best everyday---enough of trying to keep everybody happy and fresh. These guys are too young to be burned out. Get a few more talents and play your best talent, period.

Twice in one night, I think you hit the nail on the head, danzig. The Brewers lack OBP, and that has much to do with the low team walk total. Maybe there's too much fire? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

This whole emotion issue is in reality the biggest non-issue possible. Why isn't this stuff brought up when the team is winning, as in "Gee, the Brewers are 24-10 but I wish they'd laugh more when they hit a homer?" Some people are outwardly emotional, others are not. For some, getting worked up helps performance. For others, doing so would be a detriment. Tony LaRussa and Greg Maddux will have their plaques hung in the calmer wing of the Hall of Fame. Tommy LaSorda and Dennis Eckersley are in the slam the equipment section. I'd take any of the four.

Some guys are emotional to a point where it truly enhances performance, but can also drive them over a cliff. We've all seen Carlos Zambrano pitch masterfully until a bad call drives him batty. Billy Martin was as fiery as they come--and it literally killed him.

If you like emotional, watch Carlos Zambrano. I'll take Ben Sheets.

The Brewers do lack OBP but they have a lot of power, which has allowed them to be an above average offense. Is it always pretty to watch? Heck no. I'd rather have an above average offense that's ugly at times to a pretty offense that can't score, though.

The Brewers have the 4th highest runs/game average in the NL. Let's complain about the under performing starting rotation if we want to complain about something.

Archived