Brewer Fanatic

Matt Wise (after 7/25/07)

2hoophead
X ellence wrote:

Like I said, this isn't fantasy world, you can't just dream up injuries to put guys on the DL.

First year watching baseball, is it? What's life like on your home planet? On earth, it happens all the time.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
X ellence wrote:

Like I said, this isn't fantasy world, you can't just dream up injuries to put guys on the DL.

First year watching baseball, is it? What's life like on your home planet? On earth, it happens all the time.

Yikes there Snippy. I thought the Dessens "injury" time and rehabilitation assignment timetable were rather coincidentally arranged to benefit the Brewers.

How about someone try to contact Pedro Lopez and tell Mr. Lopez to please contact Matt Wise and tell him he is all right. He does the Brewers no good whatsoever right now. Maybe that's all he needs...actually, if Doug Melvin or someone in the organization hasn't already thought of this, I'm disappointed....hey, how about someone email Doug Melvin and give him the idea in case he hasn't!

NDOGG I was thinking the same thing - I am surprised Lopez hasnt contacted him - maybe he doesnt forgive him?

Anyhow - are we sure that his problems started here with the blast to the face then after the game Ned Yost had him pitch 3 innings?

I remember seeing him pitch 3 innings and thinking that something must be going on in the trade front.

The condescending remarks in this thread need to end. Now.

Sorry. Was meant more to address the ridiculous naivety of the statement, not as a personal attack. Plus, I thought it was borderline clever. Forgive me, X dude and mods, I will try to monitor my tone more closely.

It's obvious that Wise is not himself, and that presents a problem for Yost/Melvin. If they could just put him on the DL, I'm sure they would. However, every team in the Majors knows what the situation is, so I don't think that's going to fly.

I disagree with the idea that no one would pick him up. Quality relievers are hard to come by, as was shown when the Brewers gave up three good young arms to get Linebrink. Wise has a good enough track record that some team would grab him off of waivers in a heartbeat if the Brewers tried to ship him to the minors.

Therefore, what do you do with him? The Brewers haven't been a part of many blowouts this season, so I thought Yost was being prudent by putting him in to start the ninth inning with a five run lead, and then having Coco ready to go as soon as Wise blew up. Wise either has to pitch or they have to let him go. One thing stats will never be able to show is how different players react to the mental challanges facing them, so it's completely unknown when, if ever, Wise will "be himself." It's a very tough call. I just hope that Matt gets over it, both for the Brewers and for himself... I'm sure this is effecting other aspects of his life as well.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If they could just put him on the DL, I'm sure they would.

I get the impression that Ned & Doug, were just hoping Wise could pitch his way through it.

I won't pretend that I know in an absolute manner what the DL rules are, however, if it something that is treatable, it should be something that Wise could go on the DL for. I would hope he could get a note from the Dr. that says he needs some time off, and some sort of rehab. -- I do remember Jim Eisenreich going on the DL in the 80s for Tourette's Syndrome, so I don't think "mental problems" are something that the DL does not handle.

Otherwise just keep Matt headed to the salad bar, and its just a matter of time before he gets tonged again.

Archived