Brewer Fanatic

Olympics in 2016 a backyard away? Chicago a Finalist for the Summer Games

lcbj68c
I know most of us dread anything Chicago, but how excited would you be to see the Summer Olympic Games in basically your backyard? I haven't seen any real contingency plans, but as is usually the case, the events are sometimes spread out and hosted at locations even 40-50 miles from the center? Maybe that would put be areas like Gurnee or otherwise. I dont know how much events cost, but I would think attending the opening ceremonies, however bland, or some of the events would be a once in a lifetime experience. Has anybody else ever attended the games in Atlanta, Salt Lake, or otherwise that can offer some insight? Is there any chance some of the events could make their way across the border into Wisconsin, or is the legal and economic considerations too great to involve another state government?

Community Moderator
I really hope this happens. I remember when they were drafting their plans that they were in contact with Milwaukee officials about possibly using facilities like Miller Park and the Bradley Center for Olympic events. It would definitely be an awesome experience to have it so close...although I probably won't live in Wisconsin in 8 years.

When I first saw this, I didn't think there was a chance they would get it. But looking at the finalists...Rio, Tokyo, Madrid, and Chicago...I now think this is a possibility. London will host the 2012 summer games and Sochi, Russia will host the 2014 winter games, so I think the IOC would be reluctant to give Europe 3 consecutive Olympics. Bejing has this year's, so Tokyo has a shot since it's a ways off...but it would be Asia, Europe, Asia. Then there is Rio, who I think is the toughest competition for Chicago, I think. The biggest advantage to Rio is that South America has never hosted an Olympics. However, there is a very strong possibility (if not a definite one) that Rio will be hosting the 2014 World Cup finals, which outside of the Olympics, is the biggest stage in international sports (and I'd even argue that the World Cup is bigger).

I would definitely pursue an opportunity to go see some competitions. I was thinking, how cool would it be for the rowing to be held on the shores of Lake Mendota in Madison? It won't happen, sadly.

I remember the article from last year as well. I also remember them talking about building a high speed rail that would go from Chicago to a couple of the satellite sites. I am sure that most of the rail stuff was speculation, but how cool would a high speed train from Chicago to Milwaukee or Chicago to Madison be.

I was in Atlanta during '96 for a couple days but as I was a college student slumming it, there mostly for the parties, and I didn't make it to one event--not one! I'm planning on heading up to Vancouver in two years, since I'm still a sucker for the Olympics despite all its problems.

I know when I lived in Chicago most of the residents I knew were lukewarm at best on the idea, but I think the infrastructural improvements can do nothing but benefit the city in years to come. The oft-mentioned Montreal financial debacle is a thing of the past.

I do agree that it's likely between Rio and Chicago...I'd believe that Rio would have a strong shot as it'd be the first ever South American Olympics and there has to be sentiment towards that.

There's talk that Chicago is a slam dunk for the bid because of the TV contracts. Supposedly, the IOC plans to award the Summer Games to an American city every 20 years as a reward for NBC's huge contract. I don't have a link, but the idea has been discussed on various forums.

I've heard that the bicycling events would take place in the Kettle Moraine State Forest in Waukesha/Walworth counties.

I will be there for sure (unless I'm dead or something) if Chicago gets the games. That would be really cool, despite the Illinois/Wisconsin rivalry. I've been hoping they can pull it off, it seems like they've got a bit of an underdog bid because of crappy infrastructure. Of course, they could probably fix that given 8 years, but that would cost a lot of money and from what I've read, the IOC is a little skeptical they can come up with enough of it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Don't underestimate the power that Daily wields. He'll coerce, intimidate, and blackmail his way into getting those funds to improve the trains.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

WI would be used for several events. It's as close as WI will ever come to hosting the games, as far as I can tell.

Is there really a rivalry with Chicago? It's a very dirty city with no idea how to handle traffic. I can't imagine needing to put it down at all. And thank goodness so many IL people come to the Dells and have cabins/cottages here.

"It's a very dirty city with no idea how to handle traffic. "

Huh?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

First off, traffic problems are different from not knowing how to handle. Secondly, maybe compared to Madison it's 'dirty' but I never considered it dirty. Maybe I have a different definition.

Yes, I'm waiting....

I happen to live here. Feel free to enlighten me.

Downtown Chicago's traffic might be bad for a guy that lives in a suburb of a small city, but as far as big cities go, it's really not that bad. Heck, smaller cities like Atlanta are notably worse.

Who drives anyway?!?

As far as "dirty" goes, I've never found it worse than any other sizable city and in many cases, much cleaner on the whole.

I live in Wauwatosa and I had trash blow past my house this morning in the wind. It happens. And speaking of not being able to handle traffic, ever been on 94 at rush hour here? Not exactly swift transport, at least in Chicago you have a few more options to get around.

Chicago getting the games would be huge for the whole region. The Milwaukee 7 should be doing whatever it takes to work with Chicago's bid team. And say what you want about Daley, all that corruption does allow him to get things done from time to time. Nothing like having a semi-totalitarian leader for life running your bid. How do you think the Chinese got their act together so fast?

Yeah, I'd have to think that Chicago has a great shot at this. There are enough facilities to handle all the events. The Chicago Spire and Trump Tower will be finished by then and the Chicago area will spend any money necessary to pull it off.

There was talk about mountain biking in the Kettle Morraine South. I'd love to see other events in Wisconsin, but either way I'd be taking my son to the Olympics - which he would remember forever. He is 2 now - so I think 10 would be a great age to take it all in.

"Only place I've ever been that had garbage blowing in the breeze as well. "

Then you haven't been to too many places. Like I said, maybe it's because I've only lived in large cities so my perspective is much different but the city as a whole is not dirty. Yes, there are poor neighboorhoods that might not be clean but generally speaking the entire north side of Chicago is a clean place. Here is a link to a streeview of my neighborhood - by no means is this the high rent district. Judge for yourself.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=2243+w+ainslie+st,+chicago,+il&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=42.310334,90.703125&ie=UTF8&ll=41.975349,-87.684932&spn=0.009731,0.03047&z=16&layer=c&cbll=41.970465,-87.685903&panoid=DB_hZFdS66ytxWuKG_VzyA&cbp=2,93.04825668748998,,0,-0.22413781395117457

Really? When did you move? I think the neighborhood (lincoln square) has changed a lot in the last four years or so.

I moved to Edgewater in 2006 from there (and then a couple months after that I applied for a transfer to SF)

We were pretty close to Ashland, so we always told people that we lived in Ravenswood close to Andersonville, although we were within walking distance of Lincoln Square.

The neighborhood definitely changed when we were there

Archived