Brewer Fanatic

ESPN Article about Brewers Draft

"George always said, 'The kids who want to get started playing, those are the kids you want,'" Zduriencik said. "I don't think there's anybody in the big leagues who regrets what he signed for."

That's what the Brewers offer most of all: a realistic chance to get to the big leagues.

A player who signs with Milwaukee likely won't find his progress blocked by an expensive free-agent acquisition. The Brewers have drafted well. This time, they must draft well and often.

An interesting last couple of comments. I think this means that 1) it is unlikely that the Brewers will draft someone who will threaten to go to/stay in school - I think they will interview potential picks and find out how eager they are to start playing ball, whether that be a HS kid (Fielder, Jeffress) or a college kid (Braun, LaPorta); and 2) the last point is an interesting selling point for the team, however now with so many young players who could be around for a long time, particularly at the corner OF and 1B positions, that could be a tough sell. A HS or JUCO kid may look and say, I won't play for MIL for a long time because of Fielder/Braun/Hart/LaPorta/Gillespie/Errecart/Nelson, so they may not sign and take their chances next year. But the reverse is true for pitching - a pitching prospect may look at the Brewers and see that there isn't much standing between them and the big leagues and be eager to sign. So even though their philosophy is BPA, I would look for them add a lot of pitching and not much corner OF early in the draft.

Given the Brewers' reliance on the draft, June 5 will be the biggest day for the franchise since Bernie Brewer discovered his slide.

I know this is a joke, but it is a bad one. I would say it has the potential to be a big day, but Mark A. taking over the team was a pretty big day.

The day the courts allowed the Pilots to leave Seattle was a pretty big one too. And the day we decided to move to the NL. Or the day The Keg was green lighted.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived