Brewer Fanatic

Cameron and Kapler- Let the debate begin

Im totally Ok with with Gabe playing and getting the vast majority of the AB's. However, Cameron still have some vaule even if he is not hitting right now; that would be defense in games where the 'Crew is leading. To me, this is how you 'coach' teams...getting as much vaule from the players you have, as much as you can.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trenni reported during the game today that Ned was "thinking about" flipping Cameron and Hardy.

Which is pretty funny, considering his offensive production so far. Logic is thrown out the window these days.

Cameron is clearly not a number 2 hitter. Neither is Hardy.

The old Jason Kendall was, but I'm not sure about now. It would be interesting to see what Hart could do in front of Braun and Fielder, but who then bats 5th? Cameron?

Kapler seems to be the best option now because he at least takes advantage of seeing a lot of fastballs.

The only reason Cameron's Ks are of any concern to me is because they are outs and he's made too many outs overall so far. Of course, he's had only 131 AB so far, so it seems kind of silly to get all worked about it in the first place.

No the best option right now is the Branyan/Hall platoon but the chance of the happening is slim. After all Schroeder get his idea that the team just can't handle a top of the order platoon from somewhere. I guess players are so dim it confuses them or something.

I disagree that Kapler has become a favorite, especially around here. Maybe as a bench guy, but most people are able to look at thousands of AB's of mediocrity and say "Hey. Wait a minute, this guy is pretty bad at hitting baseballs with authority".
Does everyone realize, I assume that most do, that Cameron is now a career .250 hitter that K's once every 3.6 AB's and has never batted over .270 for an entire season? Kapler is currently at .330 for the season and .272 for his career. I feel pretty comfortable with Gabe in the lineup right now.

I think the idea of the Branyan/Hall platoon batting second is a way cool idea.

Short of that, Mike has six weeks of playing time in. That's too soon to mess with a guy's spot in the order unless an alternative slaps you in the face. And six weeks is way too soon to mess with a player's starting status.

If Cameron's reduced playing time came with an explanation like, "we feel time in the cage is beneficial at this point," I could buy into that. Or if we're told, "we're sitting him more often now so he doesn't have to sit as often when he heats up," I could deal with that, too. Maybe this is what's being said behind closed doors, but I don't feel the assurance that it is.

As far as Kapler goes, a .358 OBP and .530 SLG are the kind of #2 numbers you'd like to see. It's a 100 AB sample, though, and I can't see it continuing.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

BA is cool for helping us qualify a player's skills as part of the slash stats (BA/OBP/SLG). And it's also helpful for deciding how to address a few unique game situations, e.g., driving in the game-winning run from third. If you need a pinch hitter in a situation where SLG doesn't matter and a BB is inconsequential or negative, I'd look at BA.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Kapler seems to be the best option now because he at least takes advantage of seeing a lot of fastballs.

Gabe Kapler batting second is like Counsell batting leadoff... a horrid idea. I'd probably just leave the lineup alone right now, since only Hart, Fielder, Braun, & Branyan are really hitting well. If there's anyone I'd slot up to #2, it'd be Russell, but I know that thought alone would probably make Ned's brain implode.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived