Brewer Fanatic

Cameron and Kapler- Let the debate begin

I don't think there's much question that Kapler is in excellent physical condition. I don't know in terms of 'game shape', but my guess is the two are probably very close in their conditioning.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cameron is still the guy for the long haul - but ride the hot hand while you can. Kapler should be in there again friday and should continue to see significant time until he cools off.

I say why not. It's not like he's going to be that much worse than Cameron and maybe it will wake up Cameron a bit.

It's kinda a tricky issue. Kapler breathing down his neck could motivate him to play his best and stay on the field to put up numbers that will get his option picked up or a new contract, or it could cause him to press too hard, change his approach, and screw up.

The age comparison is a joke.

Don't go that route. It's condescending to those who think it's valid.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The only time Kapler has struggled this year is when he played 5 or 6 games in a row early in the season. He is not an everday player. However, he is outstanding in his current role. Cameron, on the other hand, is an awful 2 hole hitter and a change should be made there. I would like to see Ned sit Cam more often in addition to moving him down in the lineup. The problem, of course, is who bats 2. Hardy is the best option IMO.

I don't understand why they don't let Kendall try the two-hole. He's a contact hitter that rarely strikes out. This is the definition of a two-hitter. I realize that Kendall had a knack for hitting into the double play, but he hasn't this year. This may have been because the pitcher was rarely on in front of him, but c'mon. Kendall also works counts which is something you want toward the top of the order. This tires the opposing pitcher out and builds their pitch counts.

I don't understand why they don't let Kendall try the two-hole.

Because he doesn't get on base very often and he can't hit for power? A 2 hole hitter in the 21st century has to do more than sacrifice the runner over.

The only reason his stick has any value is because he's a catcher.

I'm not even sure what a 2 hole hitter's role is anymore. Conventionally, Cameron would be a #6 hitter, and Kapler would fit well at #2, but with all this talk about getting power bats as many PA's as possible I can see that as well. At least this is a great problem to have. We have 2 very good options in CF.

The number two hitter keeps getting elevated. In the past, you'd often find a weak hitter because "move the runner over" was a central qualification. In more recent years, most managers have recognized the value of OBP in that spot. Now studies are saying that one of the two best hitters on the team should be there, and when they say that, they mean a top notch power hitter.

Given that we're not going to see Fielder or Braun hitting second anytime soon, I'm fine with the alternative of getting an OK OBP with some power. Cameron fits that.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Kapler cost the Brewers some runs tonight with his lack of range in the OF. Cameron catches both balls and Mota doesn't get lit up. Kapler is a backup OFer and with the off day before there was no reason for him to be in the game. Thank you once again Ned for having a sense of what is going on.

Kapler cost the Brewers some runs tonight with his lack of range in the OF. Cameron catches both balls and Mota doesn't get lit up. Kapler is a backup OFer and with the off day before there was no reason for him to be in the game. Thank you once again Ned for having a sense of what is going on.

Absolutely. Not easy plays by any means, but Cameron has a shot to make both. Coors OF is expansive. Hot or no, I think you have to play Cameron there.

I totally agree but aside from a few who wanted Cameron for defense alone, Gabe has become a favorite and most wanted him in there. Funny to see Ned get ripped for this though. Shows that no matter what he does, he will get the blame for something not going right. If Cameron started last night he would have been an idiot for not playing the hot hand. We are all upset when we lose but I don't know how complaining about everything will help. Does it make some feel better when they have someone to yell at?

I disagree that Kapler has become a favorite, especially around here. Maybe as a bench guy, but most people are able to look at thousands of AB's of mediocrity and say "Hey. Wait a minute, this guy is pretty bad at hitting baseballs with authority".

The whole notion of playing the hot hand just reeks of desperation, especially when there's no need for it. We experienced the same idiocy last year when Yost trotted out a horrible hitter like Gwynn because he was "hot" and Hart rode the pine and went down to Nashville.

Does it make some feel better when they have someone to yell at?

Absolutely. Psychology 101, right? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I don't agree that Cameron would have been able to get to both balls, but I think he's clearly a better CF (which is saying something, since Gabe is solid there)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived