Brewer Fanatic

Season over for John Smoltz, career too?

41 + shoulder surgery = retirement. Sad but not as sad as someone young forced to retire before they got the chance to play at all. He's done everything he could doin baseball and won his fair share. So I'm not going to shed any tears for him other than the pain of having to go through surgery and rehab.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

They are actually more likely to go in together if they don't retire at the same time. Maddux is a definite first ballot, not sure Glavine and Smoltz are (yes its a foolish thing, Glavine and Smoltz won't suddenly get better after another year of retirement).

Endaround, what is your reasoning for Tom Glavine not being a first ballot?

I think he's just saying that sports writers are stupid and won't put him in on the first ballot.

Let me pipe in here on the first ballot issue.

What happens if Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine, and Randy Johnson all call it quits in the same year?

There are sports writers that won't vote for more than 1 or 2.

Some writers will not vote for anybody in first eligible year - that has to be the reason that nobody has ever been a 100% vote.

Some writers send in blank ballots.

None of the reasons put forward are rational but they do exist.

A few years ago Tony Gwynn, George Brett, and Robin Yount were all elected in the same year and Carlton Fisk had to wait a year.

As stated earlier Fisk didn't get any better in that year he had to wait.

Again not rational.

That would have been Nolan Ryan, George Brett, and Robin Yount. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif I know many felt Robin would have gotten more votes had some writers not been stuck on voting for only two guys. As a matter of fact, that was the first time since the Hall's early years that more than two players were admitted in the "regular" election.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived