Brewer Fanatic

03/13/07 - Brewers (Sheets) @ Seattle (Washburn): 3:05 PM CT

Team Canada
Quote:
C'mon guys, I think it's nice that the Brewers are doing these webcasts for free. Kent Summerfeld is doing all right for someone who isn't normally a broadcaster.

From his profile on the Brewers website:

Quote:
He was named director of the Marquette Basketball radio network in 1999 and does play-by-play for the Marquette University women?s basketball radio broadcasts.

Doesn't women's basketball have it bad enough as it is??

I don't think its worth complaining about Kent's broadcasting skills. Bottomline, hes helping out on webcasts in spring training. Hes not on TV during the regular season. I don't have a problem with it. Honestly only die hards like us really listen to ST webcasts. I do like Anderson so far though, although I will miss Daron. And although he gets ripped on here, I also like Bill.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote:
Sheets dealing, Brewer offense hiding. Looks like they're in mid-season form.

sad, but very, very true. Sounds like Sheets is pitching well though, very encouraging [knocks furiously on wood].

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Not trying to pile on the hate fest here, but the announcer mentioned that T-Bow threw a nice Curveball. It was my understanding he was pretty much fastball and slider. Does he also throw a curve and I have never heard of it or is it new this year?

I'm not completely listening to the game but I'm pretty sure Turnbow is in and they said breaking ball see you later. If this is true, I know only one pitch, but I think this is a good sign. I keep thinking that if he gets his breaking ball back he will be dominate again.

The curveball/slider is pretty much a personal choice as to what to call it. If you only throw one of them, you can call it whatever you want. Usually a curve is a big, slow pitch; while the slider is a harder pitch that bites downward. Turnbow's looks like the classic curve, but it is called a slider, because that's what he calls it.

The curveball/slider is pretty much a personal choice as to what to call it. If you only throw one of them, you can call it whatever you want. Usually a curve is a big, slow pitch; while the slider is a harder pitch that bites downward. Turnbow's looks like the classic curve, but it is called a slider, because that's what he calls it.

I remember you saying something like this in the past, and its simply not true. At least not in all cases. As TC already mentioned, the slider and curveball have two distinct grips (and arm motions, as curveballs typically work better from more of an overhand motion while sliders work better from more of a low-3/4s delivery), and many teams prefer that their pitchers throw curveballs instead of sliders because a traditional slider puts more strain on the pitching elbow.

There are of course a lot of breaking pitches that act and are thrown somewhat like both pitches, which is where the "slurve" label is thrown in, and where it may depend on personal preference of those that watch it and those that throw it as Al suggests. However, Ben Sheets curveball and Tim Hudson's slider are two very different pitches. Sheets curve is so unique in that he is one of very few pitchers that can throw his in the low-80s.

Anyway, here's a nice picture from BA's homepage from a friend of Brewerfan.net, Bill Mitchell, that I figured this would be the best place to share it:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/images/rbraun_friends07428309bm.jpg

"Ichiro Suzuki grounds into double play, pitcher Ben Sheets to shortstop J.J. Hardy to first baseman Tony Graffanino. Rey Ordonez out at 2nd.

You won't see that too often"

by that you mean rey ordonez on base???

oh well we lost but huzzah for sheets and turnbow

its so nice having a team that doesnt suck

-don

Archived