Brewer Fanatic

Not a fan of the booing

247/.305/.408/.713 in 2007

and

.162/.224/.324/.548 in 2008 for $6 million per year (on average)....that is unacceptable.

Yeah, so why don't you yell profanities at the frustrated guy who has worked hard as he's been shuffled to a new position each of the last few seasons by the team with no true complaints and is on-pace for 30 homers while hitting no worse than a sizable chunk of the team who aren't getting benched to let him know just how classless and pathetic he is? Forget that fact that he named no names, didn't disrespect or call out out the city or the fans or his teammates, and that he's done a lot for Milwaukee charities.

Go ahead and boo, it's your prerogative as a paying fan.

(pared back nested quote --1992)

Community Moderator

This comes up all the time here.

Fans have the right to boo, and they should boo if they feel inclined. I have booed the Brewers many times.

However, there are consequences. Players are human beings and they notice. Sometimes it motivates a player in a positive way, but most of the time it generates a negative vibe amongst the players and doesn't inform a player of anything new. Gagne didn't need booing to know that he wasn't performing. Bill Hall is a smart man, I'm sure he realizes the consequences of asking for a trade. Wes Helms may be a replacement-level player, but I wouldn't want him up against us in a key situation for reasons we all know.

I would have preferred Bill Hall to get a standing ovation last night. Instead of booing him for well-warranted frustrations, Brewers fans could have let him know that they appreciate all the sacrifices that he has made for the team and possibly convince him to shut up and play. Instead, booing just makes a bad situation worse.

As long as the professionals on this team show up and play hard every day, I'm fine with anything the fans say. The fools in the stands have very little to no effect on the best in the game, so who cares? Let em, boo, let em cry, let em cheer. If it doesn't effect the game(which it shouldn't), I'm cool with it.

Better to show we care than to have empty seats speak for everyone.

Heresrobin -

I rarely boo and I'm not sure what my reaction to Bill Hall would have been. Writing a letter actually isn't a bad idea if it would get to Bill Hall...he's the one I have an issue with, not the Brewers as a whole. Still love the Brewers and want Hall to succeed because it will help the team, so I will not boycott the Crew.

As far as whether or not it makes a difference, who knows and who cares. Is it a positive thing for the team that Bill Hall made the whole trade idea public? If he doesn't care how it affects the team, why should any care how we affect him? Do people believe cheering for someone makes a difference? I've seen many a crowd stirred into a frenzy only to be let down by a batter striking out or a pitcher giving up a bomb. Many players have said they hear the boos...they can either pout or use it as motivation.

Finally, it has nothing to do with making myself feel better whether I boo or not. He has every right to voice his displeasure, whether or not it is a positive for the team. I think people should be able to match his emotion.

Series Finale -

I do not think people should use profanities at players. Be creative and be passionate, but profanities aren't necessary.

With that said, who cares if he has been switched around the past few seasons, it helped him to keep a job at the Major League level and sign a $24 million contract. Let's not be blind and think earning a paycheck had nothing to do with his willingness to change positions and be the super-sub. And okay, he's on pace to hit 30 HR, what does that mean? At various times in a season guys are on pace for ridiculous numbers but it doesn't quite work that way. By the way, what is Branyan on pace for?

Yes, other guys on the team are underperforming, but there aren't platoon options in the minors that are tearing the cover off the ball. Unfortunate for Hall that Branyan was there. No, he didn't name names, but how about some personal accountability. You think by saying "other guys" are struggling people will be oblivious to who he is calling out?

Finally, I'm extremely appreciative of all the athletes who give to Brewers' charities and do other charity work in the community, but it doesn't matter in the end. If you could have an all-star at each position and he did little to no charity work, everyone would be fine with that.

Yeah, so why don't you yell profanities at the frustrated guy who has worked hard as he's been shuffled to a new position each of the last few seasons by the team with no true complaints... Forget that fact that he named no names, didn't disrespect or call out out the city or the fans or his teammates, and that he's done a lot for Milwaukee charities.

Well, I think it would be responsible to note that, prior to publicly requesting a trade, Brewers fans weren't booing Bill like this. I think all of what you mentioned is not overlooked by Brewers fans. But to act like Bill Hall's prior actions have anything to do with the current frustration/ire that fans feel towards him is kinda misguided.

Sure, you have the idiots that will boo the pickoff move booing him from time to time (the same people booing Fielder or Weeks or Hardy, etc. after a strikeout), but that's not what happened tonight. Let's not forget Bill Hall's choice in this situation. I simply don't think that 'well, he played numerous positions' is a feasible excuse (I know you're citing more, SF... not aimed at you per se). I'd bet that the vast majority of MLB position players have to do what Bill did (play different positions) simply to have a job in MLB, let alone pull down millions of dollars for it.

The problem is not that the good Bill brings & has brought are now cancelled out and forgotten. The problem is that Hall is leaning on the 'Well, I've been so professional' tip, yet he goes out & does something as unprofessional as having his agent say, 'Bill wants out.' Even Turnbow could at least admit on his own that perhaps he'd be happier in another city, and T-Bow was getting it from all angles from the fans (& I'd imagine his bosses, too).

The optimist in me sees Hall frustrated & wanting to compete & be the best he can in order to help the Brewers as best he can. The cynic in me sees a guy who fears his earning potential is crashing down, and puts himself before the team. If the argument is, 'Well, he 'earned' it by switching positions without complaining about being paid handsomely', then I just agree to disagree.

I'm not sure if I lean much towards either the optimistic or cynical approach, but the best I can take from this is that it was poor judgment on the part of Hall & his advisor(s). The idea that he didn't disrespect the fans (the people who fund his lifestyle) holds zero water to me.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Not a fan of the constant hand-wringing and complaining about fans who boo on Brewerfan.net. Someone had to say it.

I agree. The pervasive sentiment around here seems to be that going to a baseball game should be an ultra-high class, civilized affair, and that when a player in Hall's situation comes up, you shouldn't boo, because it might hurt his feelings (though I'd think being a pro athlete he should have thicker skin) or somehow cast the team and the entire state of Wisconsin in a negative light. You should instead have a calm discussion with fans seated around you about his splits against right handed pitching, right?

It's a baseball game. You go there, sit with tens of thousands of people, eating nachos and drinking beer. People are going to boo and cheer who they want. There's no need to get agitated over it.

Personally, I will not boo him since he is still one of my favorite players, and I understand he is simply frustrated with his current situation. However, it doesn't exactly please me that he has expressed that he no longer wants to be on MY TEAM. That is why other people are booing; and if they wish to, then I have no problem with that.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I've seen many times in this thread that Bill Hall has publicly expressed "that he no longer wants to play here". Are we sure that this is the case? Might it be that he is not happy with his current playing time situation?

I have a hard time believing Bill flat out does not want to play in Milwaukee anymore. I think most of us can agree he wants more playing time or a starting job everyday. Regardless of whether he deserves to play every day, for people booing him or thinking he should be booed because "he doesn't want to play in my city or for my team anymore", I think you are really misreading the situation and hope the very loud booing I heard last night was not an abundance of fans misreading the situation the way several posters in this thread appear to be.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I am not a fan of booing the home team as a general rule. Especially if a guy is at least trying. But when he demands a trade he can expect to be booed. The thing I don't get and the thing that's completely moronic to me are the people that boo him after he gets a hit. Would you have booed if he hit a home run? Take your ball and go home if that's your attitude.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

"Butt" hole chants when he came up to bat, and "you still suck" when he got his hit in the 8th. Bill's not my favorite person in Milwaukee right now but fan display was unacceptable.

My major beef, is that the team is playing well, and fans seem more concerned about booing Bill Hill, than cheering on a guy like McClung, who probably pitched the game of his career.

This team is not gritty enough to handle a lot of distractions.

Bill Hall hurt the team more than the fans that are booing him. There is absolutely no reason that he should have gone public with a trade request prior to talking to management about it. It lowers his trade value thereby hurting him and the team. I respect the things that Bill has done for the team - that respect extends to paying him $6 million dollars to play in a platoon this year. The fact that I respect his past history with the team has nothing to do with how I view his recent actions regarding a trade.

The only situation in which I think it is acceptable to publically demand a trade is if Hall and his agent had approached management about it and management refused to consider it, otherwise it is a stupid move for a variety of reasons. Players have to understand that fans will hold them accountable for the actions of their agents. Booing is one way fans can show their displeasure. Personally I hope the booing was only for last night because no one should be booing Bill strictly on performance - his past actions have earned him a bit of a pass in that regard. However, if he continues with the ridicuous trade talks (who wants to pay him $6 million dollars) he should be booed.

I was there last night. I didn't boo but I certainly understood why people did. On the flipside Johnson commented after the game about the "classy fans" (the entire crowd) who gave him a standing ovation when he was removed from the game.

As for the comment above "fans seem more concerned about booing Bill Hall, than cheering on a guy like McClung", there was plenty of cheering for McClung. It isn't an either/or dynamic. Cameron heard boos too.

Hall is lucky has a guaranteed contract. In most professions if you can't do your job you lose that job and the paychecks stop.

I can't believe that players (and people here) are so thin skinned about some booing to the point where they are "upset" and "concerned". Booing has been around since the beginning of sports.

I was at the game last night and did not boo. The booing doesn't help anything, its just negative waves that some fans here in Milwaukee like to emit. Its one thing to be displeased (as I am), but its another to boo until your voice is raw (like a couple people around me). One of the dudes booing had that look like he would boo his mom.

Look, the team has won 5 in a row and 11 of 15. I can understand booing when fans are frustrated at poor play and losing, but let's enjoy this while it lasts.

Hall is 14 for his last 36 (.389) since May 17th and has raised his average 33 points (.195 to .228). He wants to play and feels he deserves to play and he's got a case but did he make a mistake going public? I think so. Nevertheless it's not like he's not trying nor has not been a contributor.

It's key for this team to stay hot as long as possible. Let the Hall thing go for now. It's very likely at some point Branyan is going to go 2 for 25 with 15 K's and Hall will be back in there against most righthanders and this whole issue will be gone.

If I was to meet Bill Hall in person I'd tell him how much I respected his work and team oriented approach to the game. I'd tell him how much his off field work has meant to the community. I'd tell him how good of an example he was to young kids. I'd also tell him he needs to be productive or all of that other stuff counts for very little. I'd tell him I agree with the team about his relegation to the small side of a platoon. Since most of us don't get that opportunity to say that to his face we are left with little choice but to voice our opinions with a applause or boos. This is a situation where both are warranted so I guess if I was at the game I'd boo while clapping my hands. Regardless of what happens from here on out though I am a fan of his and will always appreciate and remember him positively.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

There is absolutely no reason that he should have gone public with a trade request prior to talking to management about it.

To be fair, we don't know for sure that he didn't do this.

It's very likely at some point Branyan is going to go 2 for 25 with 15 K's and Hall will be back in there against most righthanders and this whole issue will be gone.

So that Hall can go 2 for 25 with 15 strikeouts?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm too old to boo, just seems silly the older you get as you guys will find out. With that said, the only way fans can voice their displeasure is to boo. Mail gets screened, and they'll never read the critical letters. You can boycott going to games, but that affects the whole team- not the individual player in question. I cringed when i heard the boos last night. But the more I thought about it, I'm ok with it- in fact I want more of it.

I don't like booing based on performance. As long as a player is giving his best, I don't know what more you can ask. A guy like Turnbow for example. Yes, he lost his control and deserved to get sent down. But why boo him?

On the other hand, I have no problem booing whenever players speak publicly about wanting to be traded, not happy with their contract, etc. Players can be paid their millions, and that's fine with me. But when you're under contract, live with it. Not happy you're not playing every day? Fine, say that. In the right tone, I don't think anyone has a problem with that. But don't get your agent and the media involved publicly. This crap started in the NFL and NBA, now it's leeking into MLB. End it before it gets started!

Honest question...

What are fans allowed to do to voice their displeasure?

IMO, if you want your team to win, booing your guys does you no good. You're hurting yourself...sniff...can't you see that?

I guess if you do not like the current GM/Owner/Manager, you could organize a walk-out as well. That way, you are still supporting the team by buying the ticket but can still protest. I seem to recall a group of Orioles fans doing this a few years ago. I can't imagine this is a very common occurrence though.

I don't have a problem with players speaking up about their playing time, wanting to be traded, wanting to be released, wanting a new contract, etc. I don't see why the main stream media makes a big deal over these situations. Maybe its because there is nothing to talk about and this keeps them on the air every day.

Chad Johnson, Brian Urlacher, add another infinite amount of players who have complained about one thing or another. If the player is not hurting the team I don't really care what they are saying. It is obvious that Hall is not hurting the Brewers and is still being a team player while he is being disgruntled with his current playing time.

The fans have the right to boo and a player has the right to air out their concerns. It doesn't matter if you like it or not they have the same right to complain as you do as a fan.

Exactly. If a player (or his agent) wants to take their complaints public, then the public can react however they please. Hall's agent was all over the radio yesterday doing interviews. I think most fans are fine with a player wanting to play every day. However when they cross over to the wanting to be traded side and have their agent do radio interviews, they get what's coming to them.

Archived