Brewer Fanatic

Why is Suppan so dominant at Miller Park?

Jopal78

I know that Suppan was a Brewer killer before signing with Milwaukee, but even in the Brewer rotation he has been a bear at Miller Park.

To date this year at MP....

GS:5, W-L: 2-0, IP: 36, ERA: 1.50, WHIP: 1.25, K:21, BB:17

In his career at Miller Park Suppan has pitched like this:

GS:29, W-L:16-3, IP:191.2, ERA: 2.86, WHIP: 1.32, K:111, BB:64

For a pitcher with a career era of 4.58 and a career whip of 1.42 I am simply amazed at how Suppan pitches so well at Miller Park and yet is the definition of mediocrity on the road.

<span style=""></span> 

I think the fact that he's a groundball-type pitcher, and that the way MP most benefits hitters is the HR, must play a role.

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/633_P_season__ha_full_4_20080602.png

Beyond that, I'd guess that random variance plays a role. But also never, ever rule out Suppwnage.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

"Why does Jeff do his job better at Miller Park?" is the question at hand. I think TooLive addresses that: the park isn't friendly to ground balls and singles. I'd love to hear other theories, too.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It's just a pet peave of mine, but I wish people would say, why "HAS Suppan been dominant at Miller Park?", instead of saying IS. IS implies that we already know that Suppan should be expected to be better at Miller Park, going forward. At this point, all we know is that he has been better over a certain number of innings. You have to be careful with selecting oddities after the fact and then asking whether it's a stiatistally significant difference.

While it's true that Miller Park seems to inflate HR rates by between 6 and 8%, I don't think that explains much of the difference (I haven't looked at the numbers too closely, though). My guess is that the majority of the difference is just sample error. I know, I'm a stick in the mud.

I think there's a definite point to your peeve. After all, Jeff only has a little under of a season's worth of starts at Miller Park.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I think there's a definite point to your peeve. After all, Jeff only has a little under of a season's worth of starts at Miller Park.

If you take a look at the stats posted in the beginning of the thread, Suppan has pitched almost 230 innings at Miller Park. How many more innings does he have to pitch before we decide it's not a "sample error"?

Archived