Brewer Fanatic

Futures Game: Latest -- LaPorta, Gamel named

homer

I was hoping someone else would mention it so I'm not continually beating the Salome drum, but how the hell is he not in the futures game for the World Team? Hitting in the mid .300s in over 200 ABs is pretty freaking good not to be getting any recognition. I really wonder what the story is here, Angel just doesn't any run from anyone other than the Brewer scouting staff, Powell, and us fans here at BF.net. I'm really struggling to understand how his performance is continually overlooked nationally. From Ash's comments the other day we know other teams are scouting Huntsville heavily... this just doesn't add up.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I was hoping someone else would mention it so I'm not continually beating the Salome drum, but how the hell is he not in the futures game for the World Team?

He was born in NYC.

Edit: I always forget this... he was born in the DR but went to HS in NYC, so I think he's not eligible for the World roster.

I wasn't sure which team he should play for, I just guessed the World Team. My point was supposed to be in regard to his lack of selection/recognition once again.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Edit: I always forget this... he was born in the DR but went to HS in NYC, so I think he's not eligible for the World roster.

IIRC, Gallardo was born in Mexico, but grew up in Texas, and still played for the World team.

Having Gamel and LaPorta make it might have hurt Salome's chances, since I know the team selections originally only had a max of two players from each organization. I know Escobar has already played in the game (I think?), as he would have been more than a legit candidate as well.

I'm not, he still gets listed as a 1B routinely by national publications and long term that's probably where he ends up anyway. I didn't look at the roster closely but it wouldn't surprise me if the OF was full and they put him at 1B to start him.

- Plato

- Plato

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Wait, so don't the Brewers get a different player now that LaPorta is gone?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived