Brewer Fanatic

Redraft 2005 1st Rd. - Complete!!!

RyDogg66
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this pick will hurt some of the Brewer faithful but the Cubs need (OF) help. Fukodome will be moving to (CF) and although I can't project how good this guy will be I see him moving to AA fairly quickly, from there, who knows. The pick Mat Gamel. I see him terrorizing the Brewers for years to come http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

This was fun idea, enjoyed it very very much!!!

So are you drafting Gamel as an OF or are you going to experiment with 3b? either way he has to deal with Aramis or Soriano, unless you try him in RF. I dont see Soriano moving to RF to accomodate.

I am happy to see this thread didn't die, I didn't think I would get the chance to draft. I also didn't think people would start drafting the 2008 college juniors. I was planning on taking Alvarez and Matusz with my two picks. I am a huge Mat Gamel fan and still root for Will Inman, but there is no way they should be taken ahead of Alvarez. I know that question was asked earlier by ILuvDaBush, but putting my Brewers bias aside, Alvarez has got to be the choice.

That being said Brian Matusz is the pick. Back in 2005, he told teams he would sign for 1.5 million (IIRC) and the Angels thought he would take 1 million. 1.5 million is well above slot for this late in the 1st round but the Cards would happily pay it to get a SP like Matusz in their system.

I disagree about Gamel and Inman. Yeah, maybe they were drafted because of their Brewer status (or ex-Brewer status in Inman's case), but Inman was an early 3rd round pick who said he would sign if paid like a 2nd rounder. He signed and has performed every bit as well as you would expect a first rounder to. Meanwhile, Gamel has been tearing the cover off the ball in AA, not to mention how he finished last year and in the Hawaiian fall league. The "college juniors", while impressive have no professional track record, and while guys like Alvarez, Posey, Smoak, etc are all great prospects I dont think taking proven minor league stars, who were high picks in their own regard, over them is a huge mistake.

Well first I would like to say thanks for stealing Brian Matusz right before my pick. Here I am getting all excited about him being on the board for me to pick and then he's taken the pick before me. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I guess I'll have to "settle" for Jeremy Hellickson.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived