Brewer Fanatic

Redraft 2005 1st Rd. - Complete!!!

RyDogg66

Bump, list of some of the better players remaining...

Alex Gordon

Matt Garza

Cameron Maybin

Colby Rasmus

Luke Hochever

Garrett Olson

Mike Pelfrey

Ricky Romero

Andrew McCutcheon

B/OF Chase Headley (SDP -- #66 overall)

P Kevin Slowey (MIN -- #73)

SS Yunel Escobar (ATL -- #75)

P Will Inman (MIL -- #85)

C Taylor Teagarden (TEX -- #99)

P Jensen Lewis (CLE -- #102)

OF Justin Maxwell (WAS -- #114)

3B Mat Gamel (MIL -- #115)

OF Travis Buck (OAK #36)

OF Jordan Schafer (ATL #107)

1B Steven Pearce (PIT #241)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would also like to add that high school players from the 2005 draft that went to a 4 year college would be eligible again to draft in 2008. So take a look at yesterdays draft for college juniors (which is the vast majority). Players like Pedro Alvarez (14th round), Brian Matusz (4th), Yondor Alonso (16th), Buster Posey (50th), Justin Smoak (16th), Jemile Weeks (8th), Gordon Beckam (undrafted), and Aaron Crow (undrafted) are available.

I think it is safe to say that Detroit should take somebody to help their team for a long time at a position of need. Sure, Brandon Inge is solid at the hot corner for us and Mr. Dombrowski has his eye on obtaining Miguel Cabrera sometime in the future (he just loves the guy and knows that he'd be perfect for his club as a 1B or DH as he gets older/bigger), but I think I have to recommend probably the best pure hitter remaining on the board right now.

Detroit Tigers select 3B Alex Gordon.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Sorry in advance samwise...

The Pirates select SS Yunel Escobar. Since I live in Tennessee and the Braves are the "home" team I've seen Escobar quite a bit. I think Escobar is a lead off hitter capable of hitting 20 - 25 home runs, have an on base at .375 - .400, and play 3B, SS, and 2B. This gives the Pirates plenty of flexibility in terms of positions of other players and gives them a potentially great lead off guy for years to come.

The Pirates did have inside discussions about possibly taking Gamel here to add a power bat in the future, but the Pirates would rather take a player who will get to the show faster than what Gamel projects without sacrificing defensive liabilities.

Sorry guys...I was out of town for a funeral and slowed getting back by some flooding, but Garza sounds good! The Reds young pitching keeps getting better and we love Corey Patterson in Center! (this might've kept Josh Hamilton in cincy and Volquez in Texas in real life)

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Even though Snyder is probably a good pick, I don't think he fits the game we're playing. I'll take Pelfrey. I think he'd be just kept in Triple-A to be a super-two, then an MLB guy for the rest of the season.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I figured the best way to go here was a with an outfielder who could move Swisher over to right when Dye is done. There are 4 that I considered.

Cameron Maybin- good speed, good bat, walked a lot but has been striking out a lot (I attribute this to being a 20 year old in AA). It came down to Maybin and Rasmus and both seem to be on their way to good careers. Maybin's total package of speed, defense and offense, even though he has not showed much power, his ceiling seems to be higher than Rasmus.

Colby Rasmus- can play good D, has the potential to steal bases, pretty good bat. It came down between him and Maybin, it was just Maybin's "total package" that put him over the top. I think pretty highly of Rasmus, but Maybin was just too talented. There is a very good chance that Rasmus ends up being more productive in the Majors. It's just that Maybin may become a superstar.

Andrew McCutchen- good speed, good glove, his hitting numbers have been lower than expected, but he was playing in AA as a 20 year old. McCutchen is a good player, but he is very similar to Maybin, and I think Maybin may have the higher ceiling.

Chase Headley- a good player but with the other guys on the board he just did not stack up. Concerns over strike outs and how high his ceiling is.

So the White Sox select, Cameron Maybin.

Well Cameron Maybin is now off the board and the Marlins have been in desperate need of a CF for a while. With a big outfield and lots of ground to cover they're going to need a speedy, defensive outfielder who can cover that ground. Colby Rasmus fits the bill and he has a pretty good bat as well.

So the Marlins select, Colby Rasmus.

The Yankees select Luke Hochevar. I figure that the Yankees have enough money to just pay Boras what he wants so he will end up signing.

If he ends up holding out (like he did in actual 2005) well, I won't feel bad for messing up the Yankees.

Texas on the clock, updated list of some of the top players, but not all....

Garrett Olson

Ricky Romero

B/OF Chase Headley (SDP -- #66 overall)

P Will Inman (MIL -- #85)

C Taylor Teagarden (TEX -- #99)

P Jensen Lewis (CLE -- #102)

OF Justin Maxwell (WAS -- #114)

3B Mat Gamel (MIL -- #115)

OF Travis Buck (OAK #36)

OF Jordan Schafer (ATL #107)

1B Steven Pearce (PIT #241)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Texas takes Chase Headley
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived