Brewer Fanatic

Made Up Proposal: CC Sabathia and Andy Marte for LaPorta, Hall, Villanueva

As far as half year rentals go, this is probably a pretty fair deal as LaPorta is light years better than anything they could get in the supplemental rounds. Do it now and we get 2 added months of CC in the rotation and two late first round/Supp picks to replenish system.

I figure Gamel is probably headed to the OF and/or 1b when Fielder leaves anyway and there isnt a TON of room for LaPorta. Hall becomes a super sub under contract for a few more years and Villanueva should be an adequate addition to their rotation.

Marte is added for depth for this year as his star seems to have faded quite a bit. If he couldnt be included it wouldnt be a deal breaker, but as we know, Doug is a nugget miner.

I don't think its fair to write of Gamel at 3B just yet. He has shown steady improvement and still has this year to work out the kinks. His fielding has actually been better than Hall's (which isn't saying much).

As far as trades go, I'd much rather rent a starting pitcher than a reliever. However does CC's aquisition put this team over top? I'm not sure 1 guy makes that big of a difference in a season. Would it be enough to catch the Cubs or get the wildcard? Again I'm not sure. It's not a bad deal at all, I'd rather not dump prospects unless the deal would be "the difference" in a season. If the crew was 2 games out in the divisional race I'd be all for it, right now I'm not so sure. I'd hate to end up empty handed again and push prospects farther away from Milwaukee again. I'd be very surprised if a Supplemental pick made it to MLB in less than 2 years... count on 3-4, when Laporta is a year or so away.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

To address the four posts above...

1. Where Gamel projects is irrelevant really, at least for this trade

2. Going from our top prospect in La Porta to a non-prospect in Gwynn wouldnt make sense IMO

3 and 4. Either we are going to make a run at it or we are not. If we are, this is the type of deal that needs to happen, again, IMO.

Hall wants our, Villanueva is decent but may not ever stick in the rotation. LaPorta is a lot to give up but we cant just trade junk for Cy Young award winners either.

I really think Laporta has the chance to be a player as special as Prince is. Honestly, given the opinion I have that the Brewers aren't necessarily in or out of contention right now, Sabathia having a down year so far, and he being a career 3.87 ERA pitcher (very, very good, but not elite), I think giving up Laporta is too steep of a price.

And as much of a Marte fan as I was before, I'm not so much any more.

Giving up two very useful young guys and a serviceable veteran for half a year of a guy without great career or 2008 numbers when the team isn't even within a few games of 1st, is just too risky, imo. If they would have done something like that for Santana down the stretch last year, sure, but this far out, for a guy not nearly as good, I just think it could set the team back a long way.

I hope they don't make a move like that. Actually, if other teams were offering packages like that, I'd prefer they deal Sheets, rather than deal for Sabathia.

And as much of a Marte fan as I was before, I'm not so much any more.

Man, no kidding. I remember a few years ago there was a thread about Marte and people felt he was a can't miss, MVP-type stud.

I don't really see how the Brewers are more of a contender than Cleveland at this point, and I'd rather target someone the Brewers could control for a few seasons--particularly if they're giving up LaPorta or Gamel.

Russell and Wickett were talking about this on I believe Monday morning on 1250. They were both for getting Sabathia for a Gamel or LaPorta. I almost called in to argue for not making the deal but I had to go into work. I just don't think it is worth trading either one of those guys for a rental pitcher. Especially when one of them may play at 1B if Fielder does leave at some point.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I'd really hesitate to trade LaPorta for a couple months of anyone unless we get super-hot, have a good shot at the postseason, and find out Yo will return at the end of the year. I just don't think this is a year to put all of your chips in and make a push. Still, the season is relatively young.

There is no way in hell i do this trade even if it were available. Laporta and Gamel are hands off in my mind. These guys have Ryan Braun potential written all over them. A few months of a good but not dominating starter is not worth it

For a rest of the season rental I think there is (ZERO) chance of us trading Laporta or Gamel and probably throw in Escobar and maybe Jeffress (drug thing might change DM's thoughts). Now Salome I could see going in a deal, not sure how other teams view him as a prospect.

I'd hold on to Jeffress and Salome as well, and probably Escobar. Any of those 5 leaving in a trade for a few months of any of the guys expected to be available at the deadline would be a huge mistake, in my opinion. If a team wanted a package of say Cole Gillespie, Chris Errecart and any two pitchers not named Jeffress, fine. If they want more, Doug should walk away rather than make a panic trade like he did last year.

Would Weeks, Gillespie & a pitching prospect get this done?

If Cleveland continues to backpedal they can't take the draft picks for C.C, on the other hand your offer has to be better than 2 picks so hence the above trade. Supposedly, the guy wants $20 million a year, so doubtful Cleveland would bite at that. This is exactly the guy we need (presuming we're still in it) to bring home the Wild Card!!!

If we can go 6-3 or better in this homestand what do you guys think? would we be in "go for it" mode?

I agree on the sentiment for that for a rental none of our premium prospects should go. I'd much rather pursue something outside the box of conventional wisdom like seeing if San Fransisco would be interested in Prince, since they have arms but can't seem to develop any bats.

If CC Sabathia would put up a 3.50 ERA over the a dozen starts, and he replaces Bush, who would have a 5, that's a difference of about a dozen runs, which in theory, would mean one extra win.

I can't imagine giving up Laporta or Gamel, or any of our guys that project to everyday players for a single win...that might not mean anything.

Now, if you're talking an Inman like guy, a pitcher who projects to be a reliever, I'm all ears. Sure, he might be a starter someday...so may any of our minor league P's.

I see LaPorta as a similar player as Prince Fielder. Would you trade six years of Prince Fielder for two months of Sabathia?

I'd love to have Sabathia on the team, but not at that price. Plus, you'd be losing two valuable pieces to this team in Villy & Hall, so I don't know that we'd win many more games this season by making this trade. Now, having Sheets and Sabathia at the top of the rotation would definitely help us in the playoffs, so if we get really hot over the next month and are leading the wildcard race, I may change my tune. If we're still five or more games out of the wildcard race at the end of July, I probably wouldn't do it.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived