• Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Stars get bad news

Bone in Errecart's hand is broken

By BRAD SHEPARD

For The Huntsville Times

Any lineup is going to suffer when two all-stars are subtracted from it, and that's what the Huntsville Stars are facing for the foreseeable future.

With leadoff hitter Michael Brantley already sitting because of an ankle sprain suffered in Carolina, the Stars received some dismal news on first baseman Chris Errecart on Saturday.

Trying to leg out a hit Friday, Errecart lost his balance and fell on his right hand. He found out Saturday that he has a broken scaphoid, a bone at the base of the thumb near the wrist.

Errecart wasn't in the lineup during the Stars' 5-0 loss to Birmingham in front of 2,278 fans at Joe Davis Stadium and likely won't be for at least 4-6 weeks, according to manager Don Money.

There will be more tests for Errecart on Monday. With Brantley out until possibly the all-star break and Errecart gone for longer, Huntsville's vaunted lineup just got a lot less daunting.

"It's a bummer," Errecart said. "I was surprised when I made the all-star team and really excited about it. My parents and sister were coming over, and then this happened. Needless to say, I don't think they'll be coming.

"I was having a pretty good year. Hopefully, it doesn't end like this. From what I hear, it's not the fastest-healing bone in the body."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

In order to fill the two spots vacated at West Virginia by Rob Bryson (Sabathia trade) and Scott Houin (transferred to Brevard), two 21-year-old's, RHP Michael Bowman (9th round, 2008) and OF Logan Schafer (3rd round, 2008) have been promoted from Helena to the Power. No word on any backfills at Helena.

By the way, it wasn't in our transaction thread earlier, but the Brewers traded this fella named LaPorta...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Taking Zach Jackson's spot in Nashville after the Sabathia trade is LHP Steve Hammond, off the disabled list after a very brief one-week stay. Nice to see that.

Also, Callix Crabbe is also back off the Nashville DL after the minimum stay.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

As noted in Wednesday's game story, Helena has received RHP Marcus Salmon from Arizona. Salmon is now known as Rico Salmon.

Brewers outfielder Cutter Dykstra was sent down to Arizona to rehabilitate an injury. Helena Manager Rene Gonzales expects him to be called back to Helena soon.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Toby, couldn't they have just outrighted him to AAA without removing him from the 40-man? He'd have to clear waivers either way.

Not sure what you mean, DHonks. Choate was out of options so the only way he could be assigned to Nashville from the big league roster (which he was on) was to outright him, thus exposing him to waivers. Outrighting automatically means 40-man removal.

Mass, my understanding is that when someone is on the 40 man roster they can be sent to AAA IF they pass waivers and do not elect free agency. This removes them from the 25 man roster, but not necessarily the 40 man roster. I'm fairly certain this happened to Mike Rivera and others in recent years.

Mass, my understanding is that when someone is on the 40 man roster they can be sent to AAA IF they pass waivers and do not elect free agency. This removes them from the 25 man roster, but not necessarily the 40 man roster. I'm fairly certain this happened to Mike Rivera and others in recent years.

Nope, you're thinking of optioning (thanks Mass); when Rivera was sent to the minors, he was removed from the 40-man, and will have to be next time he is demoted, as well.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Huntsville Press Release:

The Milwaukee Brewers have activated Stars' INF Guilder Rodriguez from the Disabled List. Rodriguez's right hamstring sent him to the DL on July 4th. With his activation, the Stars' roster is currently at its 24-man maximum. Rodriguez will be in uniform and active for tonight's game against the Chattanooga Lookouts.

Sometimes a transaction makes you say "wow", and sometimes Guilder Rodriguez comes back after a week off.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Two pitchers have swapped spots, as RHP Liam Ohlmann, 2008's 20th round pick, takes four strong relief appearances in Maryvale to Helena.

RHP Jorge Crespo, in his second year in the system, has been sent to Maryvale from Helena. Crespo is a 22-year-old undrafted signee out of Puerto Rico.

Helena is balancing action for 17 pitchers on their staff, not unusual for that level.

Archived