Brewer Fanatic

June / July Transaction Thread -- Latest: Huntsville Times w/Injury Details

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

We'll clean up the Draft Official Selection Thread during the overnight. Brewerfan Player Index Pages will be in place by the start of the Helena / Arizona seasons.

Some of these names we listed on the forum here earlier as having signed. 19 are draft picks, Drespling is an undrafted free agent.

MILWAUKEE BREWERS - Agreed to terms with LHP Evan Frederickson, OF Cutter Dykstra, LHP Josh Romanski, RHP Maverick Lasker, RHP Trey Watten, RHP Michael Bowman, RHP Greg Miller, SS Michael "Mikey" Marseco, RHP Garrett Sherrill, C Corey Kemp, RHP Mark Willinsky, RHP Damon Krestalude, RHP Liam Ohlmann, RHP Ben Jeffers, LHP Brandon Ritchie, SS John Delaney, C Derrick Alfonso, RHP Brandon Rapoza, OF Michael Vass and INF-OF Brandon Drespling.

We'll try link to colbyjack's scouting reports during the overnight as well, although you can go directly to our Official Draft Selection Thread here.

I could see Brantley to AAA due to the defensive flexibility, his improving slg, and his outstanding batting eye. Theoretically, if Cameron struggles, and Weeks puts up iffy leadoff numbers, he'd be a possibility come August

Mass Haas wrote:

Cody has a 2-0 record and 1.08 earned run average in four appearances, including three starts, since the Milwaukee Brewers demoted him from high Class A Brevard County (Fla.) on May 20.

Does anyone know or speculate as to why Cody hasn't already been moved up? At this point, his time spent at the "A" level in West Virginia seems excessive for being a "rehab-stop."

No word on Luetge. As I noted in my scouting profile on him (at least I think I mentioned this), I think he's one of the more likely candidates to return to school. If you hear otherwise, we all obviously would love to know the details.

Rice is one of those schools that is tough to pry talent away from, both HS recruits and existing players.

And kudos to the Brewers for getting so many signings done so quickly. Of course this is nothing new, directed to those that try to go out of their way to find a way to bash the team for being cheap with their draft signings.

Luetge is bolded on the official signing page in the draft forum. I was excited when I thought they got him, but it makes since why he would think heavily about returning. He was actually drafted higher a year ago.

Whoops. Sorry about that. Luetge is bolded for good reason, as the team did sign him. He is definitely one of the team's higher profile, more aggressive signs from their late round picks. I think my explanation of Rice players and Luetge's situation only increases the excitment for that transaction.

Assuming they get most of their picks in the top 20 signed (which I'm assuming they will, since they almost always do), Winkler is the one guy you should keep your fingers crossed for.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Huntsville RHP David Johnson has been placed on the seven-day DL, retroactive to June 9th, with an undisclosed injury.

Taking his place on the Stars' roster is RHP Josh Wahpepah, the soon-to-be 24-year-old 3rd round 2003 draft pick, up from Brevard County.

We're told that the 25-man Brevard roster limit will likely remain at 23 for the rest of this week, with the Florida State League All-Star festivities set for the Manatees' Space Coast Stadium this weekend. Brevard lost Lorenzo Cain, and now Wahpepah, this week. Look for those spots to fill quickly early next week.

If not, then there's something wrong with the idiots that run things in the Brewer farm system

I've had some questions about the way the Brewers operate their minor league side of the operation over the years, but the people that think they are "idiots" are few and far between. Care to expound on why you think they are idiots? Surely it can't just be because they've kept Lucroy (a catcher in his first full pro year and still progressing on defense) and Cody (who is doing something of a rehab assignment after elbow problems held him back in extended spring training) in West Virginia until early-mid June.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

MLB.com's Adam McCalvy:

Outfielder Lorenzo Cain's stay at Triple-A Nashville will be a short one, according to assistant Brewers general manager Gord Ash. Cain, rated Milwaukee's ninth-best prospect entering the season, was promoted from Class A Brevard County to Nashville this week when Mel Stocker left the team for the birth of a child. Stocker was given four days off, and when he returns, Cain will be sent back down.

Archived