Brewer Fanatic

I Don't Care What The Cubs Do Anymore (Mostly/Sorta)

rluzinski

Every time a non-Cubs fan has to listen to one of Santo's insufferably pathetic and homerish "Yes"'s in to background of Pat Hughes' call of yet another improbable play in favor of the Cubs, he must invariably be pushed just a bit further away from subscribing to the RLuz theory.

Note: I respect Santo as a person and sympathize with his medical battles, but I'd be embarrased by by that level of homerism in the broadcast tandem of any team I pull for. He makes Larry McCarren seem like a Vikings fan by comparison.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regarding winning the Wild Card, it would be real sweet to beat the Cubs in the playoffs! Imagine that atmosphere!!!

Considering the only way we play the Cubs in the post-season is in the Championship Series, yeah, that'd be pretty sweet. I can't imagine the atmosphere--except that thousands of Brewer fans will be sitting outside Miller Park to allow Cub fans to take their tickets. Sure, it helps them pay their mortgage for a year, but when the team needs you most the bottom line is that you bailed.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

• 3 weeks later...
I'll still be rooting for the Cubs when they are playing the Cards, Marlins, Braves or Mets. It's still the best chance of the Brewers making the playoffs, IMO.

I have to agree, next weekend when the Cubs and Cards play I will actually be hoping Chicago wins. It is paniful to say but I to think wild card is our best chance. Lets get ahead of the Cards for that and then worry about the Cubs. Just my opinion.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I'll still be rooting for the Cubs when they are playing the Cards, Marlins, Braves or Mets. It's still the best chance of the Brewers making the playoffs, IMO.

I have to agree, next weekend when the Cubs and Cards play I will actually be hoping Chicago wins. It is paniful to say but I to think wild card is our best chance. Lets get ahead of the Cards for that and then worry about the Cubs. Just my opinion.

Or, hope the Cards take 2 and the Crew sweeps the Buccos. That way we gain 2 on the Cubs and 1 on the Cards. That'd do me. I'm not greedy!

well, that's the thing and you nailed it. We have to get ahead of the Cardinals first, then we can worry about the wild card.

I will say that, despite the great start last year and the big lead, I am totally enjoying this season more. Doing the chasing is way more fun than being chased.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

For the Cubs/Cards series, I'll probably just hope neither team sweeps.

The only teams I'm truly worried about for the wildcard are the Braves, Cardinals, and sort of the Mets. I expect the Marlins to fall off pretty hard; they're already starting to struggle.

Will you keep saying this if/when the Brewers get to 2 games back, or then 1 game back?? What about when they are tied for the Division lead?? Will you still believe then that the Brewers best chance to the playoffs is the Wild Card?? What about after the Crew has gone out and acquired a stud pitcher to solidify the rotation?? What about last year when the Brewers had an 8 game lead on the Cubs?? Did you then feel the Cubs's best shot at the playoffs was the WC??

At what point will you stop believing the WC is the Crew's best option for the playoffs, and stop believing the Cubs are the best team in baseball since the 60's?? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

Will you keep saying this if/when the Brewers get to 2 games back, or then 1 game back?? What about when they are tied for the Division lead?? Will you still believe then that the Brewers best chance to the playoffs is the Wild Card?? What about after the Crew has gone out and acquired a stud pitcher to solidify the rotation?? What about last year when the Brewers had an 8 game lead on the Cubs?? Did you then feel the Cubs's best shot at the playoffs was the WC??

At what point will you stop believing the WC is the Crew's best option for the playoffs, and stop believing the Cubs are the best team in baseball since the 60's?? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

That seems a little harsh, and the eyerolls seemed unneeded. In all honesty, I will also root for the Cubs for much of the same reason. They are the best team in the NL and more than likely are making the playoffs this year whether it's as a wildcard or a NL central champion. Every team they beat (banking on the previous statement being true: Petcota says there is a 95% chance of it) helps us in our playoff chase. I also have very little preference as to how we would get in just as long as we get in.

Look, I agree, I don't care how the Brewers get in either as long as they do. I guess I just get tired/frustrated by seeing all the people that really believe the Cubs are this juggernaut that can't be stopped. Further, it really annoys me that people refer to them as the best team in the NL. They have the best RECORD, that does not make them the best team in the NL. Personally, and call me a homer if you will, but I truly believe the Brewers have the more talented team. The Cubs have just been fortunate that so many of their players had really REALLY scorching hot starts to the season. Things like that can't/won't continue. Eventually guy like Ryan Theriot, Jim "Babe Ruth" Edmonds, & Ryan Dempster will go back to being exactly those players. That is, mediocre ML talent at best.

Further, it really annoys me that people refer to them as the best team in the NL. They have the best RECORD, that does not make them the best team in the NL.

How does MLB award playoff appearances again? Wasn't it by won-loss record? Oh yeah, that's right.

Further, it really annoys me that people refer to them as the best team in the NL. They have the best RECORD, that does not make them the best team in the NL.

How does MLB award playoff appearances again? Wasn't it by won-loss record? Oh yeah, that's right.

Bullox, your post is non-responsive. The post was clear in saying that some of the talent on the Cubs is outperforming expectations and shouldn't be expected to keep it up, thus the record won't be maintained.

All I was saying is that the only way to judge a team is by record. The record is what it is, it doesn't predict the future. All it says it that the Cubs are currently the best team in the NL. To say they aren't because of something that might happen in the future is foolhardy.

This is what I was talking about in that other thread...another highly productive semantics argument.

Yes, the Cubs are likely to fall back to earth eventually...we all knew that, given their relatively easy schedule in the early part of the season. Only the most naive Cubs fan would think they were going to continues at that pace. The Brewers have a good chance of catching up to them if they keep playing well and winning series, so I am definitely not jumping on the Cubs bandwagon, regardless of who they happen to play. I mean, I'd rather see us win the division and the Cubs get the wild card spot, than the other way around. The Brewers have a bunch of home games against the Cubs yet this year as well, further increasing our chances.

(Don't get me wrong, though, I'll take the playoffs for the Brewers any way we get there at this point).

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yeah this whole thread seems really premature until the schedules start evening out - I'll check back in late July.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I am hoping for the Cards to take 2 of 3. That way if we sweep we tie the Cards and gain 2 games on the Cubs. A Cards sweep would also be good as we have the same number of losses as the Cards right now. We take care of our business and we can catch the Cards.

Edit: Basically we play enough games head to head with both team that we control our own destiny. All we gotta do is take care of our own business.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

All I was saying is that the only way to judge a team is by record. The record is what it is, it doesn't predict the future. All it says it that the Cubs are currently the best team in the NL. To say they aren't because of something that might happen in the future is foolhardy.

W-L record is not the only way to judge a team. Come on now. If Seattle goes and beats the Red Sox 3-0 in a series, are they suddenly the better team because W-L over those games says so? That's so short-sighted. In terms of pure talent, the Brewers have the more talented 25-man roster. Will the W-L record reflect that at the end of a 162 game season, who knows. That's why you play the games. I think better and talented are two different things and relying solely on standings in the newspaper isn't a good enough barometer.

I'm going to keep rooting against the Cubs for now. When it's August 15th, and we're still down 5 games, then I'll change my opinion. But up until that point I don't feel the need to throw in the towel and play for second place. For heavens sake, we haven't even played the Cubs at home yet and we're waving the white flag at the division 4.5 games out.

Also where do you draw the line on who to cheer against? I mean you say Cards, Marlins, Braves, and Mets. But the Dodgers and Pirates are only a game back of the Braves and Mets. And the Astros are only a half game back of that. So now we're supposed to root for the cubs against the Cards, Marlins, Braves, Mets, Dodgers, and Pirates? It's not going to happen...yet. Not until its necessary.

I saw this over at THT & felt it gives a pretty good (albeit crude) indication of why the Cubs are winning so often:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/gifs/nlteamobpiso.gif

It's the most current I saw there. If anyone finds anything more recent, please post it. The Cubs have been basically in the second tier in terms of power & a land of their own when it comes to getting on base.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived