Brewer Fanatic

I Don't Care What The Cubs Do Anymore (Mostly/Sorta)

rluzinski
Why do people keep trying to compare the odds of:

Any team from any year in any division under any circumstances coming back from a large deficit to win their division

To:

The Brewers doing it this year in the NL Central

That's like saying: Winning the power Ball can't be THAT hard. Afterall, I know some guy who won a $10,000 on a scratch off, back in 99'.

Hell, if you just want to go all the way and say that every team in the Central still has even odds of winning the division, the Brewers have a 17% chance!

Was that over-sensationalization directed at me simply because I wondered out loud what BP said last season about the Rockies chances of making the playoffs?

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

102 games left, 6 games back, 10 games left against the Cubs.

That's about all the statistical analysis needed for me to realize that it's way too early to be forgetting about the Brewers winning the division. Trades, injuries, slumps, and hot streaks for a number of teams can either enhance or eliminate the Brewers' chances between now and seasons' end for both the division and the wild card, but none of those events can be accurately predicted until they actually happen - which they will.

Currently the only scoreboard watching I've been doing is with the Cardinals - the next team in front of the Brewers in the division standings, and the would-be wild card leader. Milwaukee's 3 games behind them right now. If the Cubs truly are a team capable of winning 100-plus games, then so be it.

The Cubs are 18-15 against teams within the division, and 20-7 against everyone else. The Brewers are 16-13 against the Central and 16-15 against everyone else. The difference between the Cubs' and Brewers' everyone else? Brewers played 20 of those 31 games against teams with records currently above .500, and the Cubs played only 8 of their 27 out-of-division games against current winning teams.

Not saying the early schedule is the only reason Milwaukee trails Chicago by 6 games, but it's definitely a factor as to why the Brewers aren't 2-3 games closer.

You could tie me to a chair and pluck my eyebrows out, still wouldn't root for the Cubs.

If the Brewer' playoff chances came down to one game that you needed the Cubs to win , you'd be fist-pumping if Aramis Ramirez hit a walk off blast. You'd revel in his bush league HR pose. Admit it!

Say it louder!

http://philzine.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/there-will-be-blood-baptism-by-faith.jpg

You could tie me to a chair and pluck my eyebrows out, still wouldn't root for the Cubs.

If the Brewer' playoff chances came down to one game that you needed the Cubs to win , you'd be fist-pumping if Aramis Ramirez hit a walk off blast. You'd revel in his bush league HR pose. Admit it!

Say it louder!

http://philzine.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/there-will-be-blood-baptism-by-faith.jpg

Well, that's obvious, but it is far from that point right now.

So, when Chicago plays the Phillies, Dodgers, Braves or Cards, root, root, roooot for the Cubbbbiessss. They've got 7 games against the Dodgers and Braves coming up, so you won't have to wait long!

Sorry man, but nope.

A Dodger sweep, and a Crew sweep, would mean 2.5 games out of first.

So you may not have to wait long to come back over from the dark side and stop rooting for the cubs against those select teams. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

A Dodger sweep, and a Crew sweep, would mean 2.5 games out of first. So you may not have to wait long to come back over from the dark side and stop rooting for the

A 1 in 128 chance of not having to wait long? Thrilling! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Should I get a Sosa or Prior jersey? Those both seem to be quite popular at Wrigley.

"I've abandoned the Brewers!" "I've abandoned my team!"

I keep giggling when I read that. Who would be the one yelling, "Say it louder!?" Brian?

Brian would be a fine option, however, I think that Geno could pull it off in spades in one of his glorious rants.

to see that the entire NL Central is currently ahead of the 2nd place NL west team definitely makes me think that the Central is no longer a weak division.

In fact, there's probably going to be a good argument for putting the NL Central behind only the AL/NL Easts, if not better right now.

Disgusting is exactly right.

Tiffee had no clue how to hit a Wood pitch and Pierre could have been blown away with straight fast balls.

For some reason Wood fell in love with his slider last night and that WAS disgusting - from my perspective.

BTW I have read this thread bemusedly.

I believe there is an HOFer that said, "It ain't over til it's over." He's right.

Disgusting is exactly right.

Tiffee had no clue how to hit a Wood pitch and Pierre could have been blown away with straight fast balls.

For some reason Wood fell in love with his slider last night and that WAS disgusting - from my perspective.

I definitely agree that the inning likely should've been over much sooner, but from my perspective it ended disgustlingly http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif. I think it was pretty funny (annoying) when Brenly kept saying "Throw him that outside fastball and let him fly out to left field!" while Pierre was batting. Sometimes I get annoyed with Brian and Bill, but then I listen to Bob Brenly and I feel better about the Brewers announcers.

What a disgusting ninth inning last night. Kemp 2-0 count with the bases loaded down one and swings at the next pitch which is shoulder high, setting him up for the nice game ending K.

Not to mention the three pitches before that were all balls.

Five straight balls and you swing at the next pitch? Stupid. Make him throw a strike.

My sweep prediction didn't last long did it. (Didn't really expect it to happen anyway.) Oh well, what are ya gonna do. Go get 'em tonight.

What teams on that list are you actually scared of right now? I really don't expect St. Louis or Florida to end up that many games over .500. Besides the Division leaders, maybe only Atlanta, New York, and Houston? I'd even expect Houston to fall some more when Berkman comes back down to earth.

to see that the entire NL Central is currently ahead of the 2nd place NL west team definitely makes me think that the Central is no longer a weak division.

In fact, there's probably going to be a good argument for putting the NL Central behind only the AL/NL Easts, if not better right now.

this really isn't saying much, to me, since the NL Central teams (besides the Cubs) are only a handful of games above/below .500. Sure, the NL West has been a HUGE disappointment so far, but somebody from that division will get better; Arizona is NOT going to just run away with the division (and even they are only 4 games over the .500 mark.)

To me, the entire NL is pretty weak this year through the 1/3 pole.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

"But the Brewers fought back and went on a 9-1 run:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/rluzinski/NLCStandings0606.jpg

.... and lost 1/2 to the Cubs. "

At least they didn't lose 3.5 ( Cards and Reds), 4.5 (Pirates), or 7 (Astros). The half game of ground they lost came as a result of the Cubs playing an extra game. I'm more concerned about getting in front of the next team ahead of the Brewers (Cardinals). Unless the Brewers can get themselves into second place in their own division, thinking about what the Cubs are doing or the wild card doesn't matter much.

Archived