Brewer Fanatic

Hardy or Hall?

No, you haven't stumbled through a wormhole and traveled back to the Brewerfan.net debates of Spring 2005.

My question is, if you have to trade one, and keep the other as the starting SS for the foreseeable future, who would you trade and who would you keep? Shortstop seems like a pretty justifiable place for Hall to get playing time, which is what he wants. Hardy has been pretty bad for about a year now.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to keep Hardy...He is solid on defense at shortstop....and offensively they both have holes in their games, but hall generally frustrates me more than Hardy.

I really would like to see improvements from both the 3B and SS position, offensively and feel that the 3B platoon that we have now is perfect for the time being, but Hall, if he is going to be disgruntled can be easily replaced by Dillon as he would only get about 200 AB from a platoon where he only faces lefties, anyway.

I see Melvin trading both players in the future....probably Hall, first

Trade Hardy and move Hall to SS. Escobar will be about ready when Hall's contract is about to be up and will be a cheaper option at SS than Hardy will be. This will be Hardy's second arbitration year correct? So his value will increase this year and since Hall signed a few years ago so he will be cheaper compared to if the Brewers would sign Hardy to an extension. Escobar can do everything that Hardy is doing now I don't see why the Brewers would even sign Hardy to an extension at all.

You couldn't live with Hall's defense at SS? Hmm.

If it were as simple as picking between Hardy and Hall if you could get the same return for each of them, I would go with Hall personally. He had his breakout year playing SS everyday for most of the season. His defense is better than just fine.

But the problem is as of this moment, Hall has turned in to an unhappy camper, a vocal one at that. So all bets are off, and I really do expect Bill Hall to be traded within the next month.

I feel like Hardy and Hall are hard to compare defensively. Hall makes some great plays but struggles with routine plays often. Hardy does not make the spectacular play but he makes routine plays. I for one would rather have a SS like Hardy with our defense the way it is. As for at the plate Hall's power is great, but he K's a ton on a team that K's a ton and his Ave and OBP are low. However, Hardy hasn't hit for any power and his Ave and OBP are low as well. To me it is the return to can get. If it is close I would keep Hardy, but if you look at my name it is obvious I am a Hardy fan.

We might be able to get Chad Moeller and Johny Estrada for Hall AND Hardy with the way hall and hardy are hitting this year.

I don't see where the market is for either of them unless as someone mentioned you can get the Twins to take Hall.. I would think Hardy would be a decent fit for Boston with the Monster..

Other than that don't see much of a market for either right now.

This is a subject I thought about starting a few days back. Very legitimate question, and one can't totally blame Hall for being upset. He had a real nice year at short two years ago and since then has been getting yanked around while JJ Hardy seems to be the chosen one. Yes, Hardy makes the easy play, but his range is poor. I vote Hall for short until Escobar is ready.

I know Hardy had a bad year defensively last year but what has he done this year that's been bad? I think Hardy is a MUCH better defender than hall, with Hall getting the nod offensively. Of course, Hardy will be much cheaper over the next two years...

Hardy, I never thought Hall was a good defender at SS(or 2B for that matter). I always thought he was good at making enough spectacular plays to cover up the fact that he missed easy plays and threw the ball away trying to make spectacular plays instead of holding it.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

My question is, if you have to trade one, and keep the other as the starting SS for the foreseeable future, who would you trade and who would you keep?
I'd much prefer to keep Hardy and trade Hall. Hardy is cheaper, more reliable defensively and has better plate discipline. Hall has poor plate discipline, routinely gets killed by the outside pitch and is a relatively easy prey for Ks.

Hardy over Hall. In a line-up that includes Braun, Fielder, Hart, Weeks, Laporta and Gamel soon (hopefully) I can live with a SS that is steady in the field and hits .250. Plus, the guy has shown power, he is still very young. Stick with him and you may have a SS who is avergae ( or even above average) offensively and defensivley. With Hall, I think the book is pretty much out.

I'd take Hall.

Look, Hall's defense at 3B has been bad. There's no getting around it. But prior to this season, Hall had only started 66 games in his career at 3B. Hall's natural position is SS. His career fielding % there is slightly below average .965, while Hardy's is slightly above average .978. I'd give Hall the range edge though.

Offensively, Hardy has had 2 outstanding months in his career, April and May of 07. The rest of the time he's been a .245/.325/.375 type hitter with no speed. I doubt going forward he's going to do much better than that most of the time. Hall, for all his ups and downs, has slugged at a .463 career rate. For a shortstop, that's pretty good.

Either way, I like Escobar in late 09 if not earlier.

My question is, if you have to trade one, and keep the other as the starting SS for the foreseeable future, who would you trade and who would you keep?
I'd much prefer to keep Hardy and trade Hall. Hardy is cheaper, more reliable defensively and has better plate discipline. Hall has poor plate discipline, routinely gets killed by the outside pitch and is a relatively easy prey for Ks.

Hardy's plate discipline? He takes pitches right down the middle and swings at one's up in his eyes.

Hardy's plate discipline? He takes pitches right down the middle and swings at one's up in his eyes.

Hardy's plate discipline is still better than Hall's, which should suggest how bad Hall's is. Hall takes pitches right down the middle too and he struggles with those away pitches. Sometimes when I watch his ABs, I get the feeling he's guessing at the plate or he's trying to pull every swing.

Hall is indeed a guess hitter -- and one who tries to pull the ball out quite frequently/every time he thinks he can. It's no wonder his on-base skills are so bad, really. Hardy's on-base ability is just so much better than Hall's, it's really not all that close.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived