Brewer Fanatic

Report: Hall's agent requests trade- Latest: Melvin "Not really motivated" to move him

AJAY
If this is the first time the Brewers heard that Hall was this upset, it's disappointing, from Hall. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for him, and therefore will give him the benefit of the doubt. However, obviously, he's not helping the team against righties. I would hope Hall sees this, but I don't know what went on behind the scenes so I wouldn't feel comfortable criticizing him on this issue yet.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finally, there are those of us that read this site and have enjoyed reading it for a while now, until all the dump on Bill Hall began. I've seen you guys turn your backs on a many of players Russell Branyan included, now you all have so much love for him.

If there is any reason not to read this message board, or any team message board really, it's because of those "OMG OMG WWJD THE BREWERS LOST A GAME THE SEASON IS OOOOOOVER! BOOOOOOOO! DFA FIELDER" posts that the highs & lows of a season seem to create.

**I understand why my post was edited, (and I have no problem with that even though when I respond to a comment in a post I prefer to quote the whole post so that's it's not taken out of context) but why delete the part I purposely bolded?

tjones, thanks for the post - it takes a lot of courage to post your feelings on a message board when you are related to a player on a team. As you can see, with any aspect of society, some people express themselves with more tact than others, and that is especially true on anonymous message boards where people can hide behind an avatar and a fictitious name.

I think the vast majority of people here want Bill on the team, myself included. You made some good points, and if you check the thread earlier I said it is healthier to express your frustrations than keep them bottled up. Bill isn't the only player in the league who gets shuffled around; Chone Figgins and Kevin Youkilis come to mind off the top of my head. Is Bill the only player on the team who is/was struggling? Absolutely not. Unfortunately he happens to play the position that Branyan plays, and the Brewers were in desperate need of a hot LH bat. If Branyan played 2B it would probably be Weeks who is sitting; if he played CF it would probably be Cameron who would be sitting; if he played SS it would probably be Hardy who is sitting. It's not just what Bill is doing, it is also where Branyan can play.

Figgins and Youkilis have something else in common - they have World Series rings. And their versatility and willingness to take one for the team are big reasons why they have those rings. We need that from Bill the rest of this season. The team is rolling now - they've won 8 of 9. 24 other guys in that locker room need Bill the rest of this year. Let's ride this wave and sort this out after the season is over.

Bill Hall is worth far more to a team that will use him as a middle infielder than what he's worth to the Brewers as a 3B. If we can get a starting pitcher for Hall, than thats what should be done. Dillon can platoon with Branyan until Gamel is ready.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

hurt at how those of you "loyal" fans have just turned your backs on Bill.

I don't know that this is the case. I think many of the more critical comments are from those who never were fans of Bill Hall. Others of us, such as myself, have pointed out that this is not just about Hall. The Brewers happen to have Branyon and just had to find a way to get him in the line-up considering his current level of performance.

I like Bill Hall and understand his frustration and don't blame him at all for wanting what he wants. But he also should recognize that the team has to do all it can to win NOW. I think it would be better had he said something like: "I'd like to go somewhere where I can play one position all the time. At the same time I do understand the Brewers desire to find a way to get Russell some at bats. I have no one but myself to blame for my poor performance against right handers so far this season, I think it is a short-term abberation and I am confident that I will turn that around if given the opportunity... "

He might even add, privately to Yost, that he'd be happy to play SS on Hardy's days off and 2b on Weeks' in order to get some more opportunities to turn things around vs. RH pitching. They just have to have Branyon and Fielder in the lin-up against righties and those two can. I believe, really only play 3rd and 1st.

I think there would be a lot of love shown for Bill Hall were he to make comments such at these. I do think he is at bottom clearly a team player, as he has been right there to congratulating Russell after a successful at bat.

Give Bill Hall what he really deserves a pat on the back for taking so much for so many years, think about all the good Bill has done in Milwaukee not only for the "team" but also in the community.

Fair enough, but I ask based on Hall's performance this year does he deserve his current contract? It appears for the time being having Branyan in Milwaukee is making the team better. Doesn't Hall want to play on a winning team? I hope he turns it around, but Bill Hall has financial security for life and plays a game -- that's not a pretty bad life. I appreciate all that Hall has done, but I always thought of him more of a team player than what his agent has said in recent days.

The Brewers need to do what is best for the team, not best for Billy Hall. I guarantee you nobody wants a small market shelling out that kind of dough for someone to ride the pine. Front office chose to ignore Branyan's success long past the point of hurting the team in order to straighten Hall out. It didn't happen. Billy continued to pull the ball every single pitch against guys he couldn't hit. He has been unwilling to shorten up his swing and help the team by getting on base. Even when all signs pointed to bringing up Branyan, the team did all it could to give Billy more shots at it, and the team has suffered for it by losing too many games. If the team has any hope to salvage this season, that hole in the lineup needed to get fixed. He's in the middle of a decent contract, he has time to fix his "game". Right now, he should be focusing on helping the team win, while he straightens that out.

Archived