Brewer Fanatic

Report: Hall's agent requests trade- Latest: Melvin "Not really motivated" to move him

AJAY

3) While Dillon would probably be fine in the platoon, I think he's valuable off the bench. Our starters aren't going to keep this pace up forever...we'll need good PH off the bench. Dillon is very effective in that difficult role...he's a good contact hitter.

I agree very much with this point. Dillon's best role is as our top sub/PH on the bench. I think that's where he provides the most value. I prefer to keep Hall in the platoon with Branyan, but if push comes to shove & Hall 'has' to be traded, Dillon isn't a big drop from Hall. That does create a problem with bench depth, but that's what a guy like Dillon is for -- if needed, he can step in & be that LHP side of the platoon. We'd have to find someone else for the bench, but that's an easier task than trying to find someone else to start.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Between Tolbert and Punto Minnesota has no pop at SS. I recall the twins expressing interest in Hall in the past. I know historically hall has an incredible average when he just puts the ball in play. I believe that would be enhanced on turf. I don't have any numbers to back me up other than what I've read in the past. What could we get from Minnesota?

this from Mark Grace..."Wow! Maybe Bill Hall should be considered for a gold glove this year." Sutton fires back with, "Yeah, he had 9 errors in the month of May...."

See, this is the other half of the equation that people overlook. It isn't just about offense; it is about defense too. Someone posted fielding stats, and they weren't much better than Braun last year. But we could put up with Braun's defense because his SLG and OPS were out of this world; we aren't as upset with Hardy and Weeks because their defense has been good. But you can't be lousy both offensively and defensively. That's what gets you to the bench.

I hope I can get some responses on this so that I don't need to start a new thread.

What about this for a proposal as a middle ground for Billy.

1) Compromise with him and have the platoon continue, but allow him to start once a week against a righty at either 2nd or SS. I know Craig would not have a problem with it, and I don't think JJ or Rickie would mind given the situation as well.

2) Billy can reasess things in the offseason. But I'd go to him with a proposal of having him be a supersub again next year and guarantee him 400 ab's. Counsell will be gone and he'd be very valuable in this role. Or, Billy can try and get traded at this point. But again, he'll likely be better able to assess his situation when the year is over and see if any team is going to give him full starter rights at just one position. But I'd have Ned and Co. guarantee him 400 ab's as a supersub and see what Billy thinks.

Obviously if he picks things up against lefties in his limited opportunities or if Branyan begins to really struggle, there's always the chance he becomes the full starter at third again. But I think adding him against righties as a fill-in for Weeks or Hardy once a week might be a good compromise for this year if a trade appears unrealistic.

Guests

Ugh.

This whole thing has me disheartened. Everything I loved about the guy is the opposite of what he is doing now. I admired how they bounced him around the infield and he played his butt off--just happy to be on the field. He was never the greatest hitter on the team but was usually good for a pretty scrappy at bat.

Now, after signing a huge deal, his numbers are not looking so hot. But not only that--he isn't putting together that many good at bats. The other day, I joked at the park that his number should be 0-2. Complaining about the platoon. And now the trade thing. I know, I know--it's the agent. It's a business. Blah, blah, blah. My favorite year of his was 05. At that time (to me, at least), he seemed like he would be an all star by now.

But instead he's turned into an overpaid whiner who isn't producing at the plate or in the field. Then I asked myself, "What would be better? Dillon/Branyan/Counsell plus pitching help or Hall..."

As a result, I am hereby retiring my name. From this point on, I will simply be known as H4P.

This is a sad day for me. I still respect him and hope he does well. I realize that the business side of things has just kicked in here and it is what it is. But even at 30 years old, there's still a little piece of me that believes there are players who don't want to do this kind of crap and I thought Hall was one of them. Oh well.

1) Compromise with him and have the platoon continue, but allow him to start once a week against a righty at either 2nd or SS. I know Craig would not have a problem with it, and I don't think JJ or Rickie would mind given the situation as well.

2) Billy can reasess things in the offseason. But I'd go to him with a proposal of having him be a supersub again next year and guarantee him 400 ab's.

I think this is fair. My initial reaction was upset over the trade demands. But, after thinking about it I agree that we should try and salvage it first. Give him a few starts a week against righties spelling Hardy, Weeks, or even Branyan.

(pared back long quote -1992)

Community Moderator

From the JS:

But general manager Doug Melvin is nowhere near ready to make a deal.

"I'm not really motivated to do that," Melvin said.

Ah, the dreaded 'not motivated' line- I predict Hall is traded before next week at this time.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/06/03/hall-not-talking-melvin-not-ready-to-deal-him.aspx

Well I must comment on some of the things that you people are saying about Bill Hall. The first thing being that yes, what i am going to say comes with alot of compassion and hurt at how those of you "loyal" fans have just turned your backs on Bill. Yes he is struggling right now but show me or tell me how you cant be saying the same things about over half of the guys on the team none of them are doing their "best". Bill has done nothing short of being a loyal player, did everything that this team has asked of him no complaints, just trying to do what he could to contribute to the team and what the team was trying to do.

I want to know how many of you would have kept your mouth and not said anything for as long as Bill has or took total [removed] from a job. I'm willing to bet not many because I know that if I am honest I would not have.

Bill Hall is a very hard worker and he has always strived for excellence but just like all of us he is human and is going to struggle but dont treat him like garbage when times get tough, dont turn your backs on him or be mad at him for finally speaking out it was waaaaaaaaay past time for that.

Finally, there are those of us that read this site and have enjoyed reading it for a while now, until all the dump on Bill Hall began. I've seen you guys turn your backs on a many of players Russell Branyan included, now you all have so much love for him. Give Bill Hall what he really deserves a pat on the back for taking so much for so many years, think about all the good Bill has done in Milwaukee not only for the "team" but also in the community.

And if you all are wondering ......Yes I am a family member of Bill's!!!!!!!

EDIT: Please refrain from using abbreviations for swears. -PF

My transformation is now complete.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/sw1mush/images/thumb/e/e9/LukeVaderEndor.jpg/250px-LukeVaderEndor.jpg

That name no longer has any meaning for me

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Milwaukee's been very good to Bill Hall too, TJones. We're paying him a lot of money and if he isn't producing he should at least find another way to help the team whether in platoon or supporting other guys. He shouldn't be bailing on the organization. He needs to look in the mirror.

Melvin wasn't 'motivated' to trade Turnbow either. I really don't think he trades Hall unless someone blows him away with an offer and I really can't see that given Hall's current production.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Yes he is struggling right now but show me or tell me how you cant be saying the same things about over half of the guys on the team none of them are doing their "best".
And none of them demanded a trade. I don't doubt that eventually Billy would come around and start hitting better, but you can't deny how well Branyan was playing in AAA, and we're seeing the same thing since he's come up. Do you just leave Branyan on the bench against righties when Billy is hitting .160 against them?

I've always appreciated what Hall has done for this team. He has worked hard and has been open to moving around, and I thank him for that. But here's the thing - he got a HUGE raise, and a year later he's talking about being mistreated?

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Community Moderator

Melvin wasn't 'motivated' to trade Turnbow either.

I don't believe he ever dropped the 'not motivated' line on Turnbow.

But the point is, he often says one thing and does another very shortly thereafter.

I wish my employer came in and said "you're gonna be well paid for your industry, but we don't want you to work every day". Um, yep, I'm cool with that.

I get what you are saying, but if your future earning potential depended on you working, you'd probably want to work to try to increase that potential.

There is also the problem of him not working up to the level that he should be and the level that his co-workers could if they shared his time. That being the case, he really has no one to blame but himself.

-- Boston has cast a wide net in its search for a closer, and inquired Monday on Turnbow. A midseason All-Star, Turnbow lost the job in the second half to Francisco Cordero, who will be back as Brewers closer in 2007. Turnbow seemed to struggle with confidence and fastball command, but he threw in the 96-98 mph range all year with a sharp slider.

"I'm not motivated to move him," Melvin said.

Link

Well I must comment on some of the things that you people are saying about Bill Hall. The first thing being that yes, what i am going to say comes with alot of compassion and hurt at how those of you "loyal" fans have just turned your backs on Bill.

One thing: to be upset over losing playing time.

Another thing: have your agent tell people you want out.

I love Bill Hall - I do. But he made a poor decision in having his agent go with that to the press...

Archived