Brewer Fanatic

Report: Hall's agent requests trade- Latest: Melvin "Not really motivated" to move him

AJAY
This is the type of thinking I hope we are past as an organization.
This is the type of thinking that I hope some day, this organization is intelligent enough to embrace. I've spent much of Doug Melvin's tenure wondering just how smart my GM was. It's a ride that's gotten worse and worse as time goes on. Overspending on veteran mediocrities to "round out the contender." Trying to salvage the major league careers of washed up former mediocrities like Gabe Kapler and Jeff Weaver. Giving a starting rotation slot to Seth McClung because he throws 94 mph, even though he's not stretched out and isn't likely to be able to pitch worth diddly spit after 60 pitches and even at his best, he's barely better than a turd. Could've just kept Villy in there...this bad patch was likely just variance...Could've given Mike DiFelice a shot - his peripherals in AAA suggest he'd be significantly better than replacement level.

But whatever...it's impossible for anyone who has never succeeded at the major league level to do so now, unless they're a "stud prospect" 22 year old, in which case they're the saviors of the franchise, and we should immediately trade any underperforming price-controlled talent on the big league team for whatever dreck we can get to make way for their stupendous ascent to the majors.

I apologize if this post seems dismissive or mean, but I think you were out of line with sbrylski. He's absolutely right about Dillon's minor league performance, and the Brewers are, quite frankly, silly if they don't pay attention to that. I often wonder if they really are that silly.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your agrument about Dillon in AAA as opposed to the majors... Could it be he was a starter in AAA and only a back-up so he's seen less PA?

Granted the level of pitching in the majors is much better, but he hits for a better AVG so that makes up for the lack of power.

If Hall was traded, my bigger concern would be with Branyan compared to Dillon.

Given there are many more righthanded starters, Branyan would get the bulk of the at bats in any Branyan/Dillon platoon. Over the rest of the season, i'm fairly confident that Dillon could hit well enough vs lefties in the starts he'd get that any potential drop off from Hall to Dillon wouldn't be that harmful.

Branyan though is by no means at all a guarantee to hit well all season in his platoon role. Considering Branyan's history, it would be no surprise at all if he slumped badly which lead to his batting average plummeting while strikeouts racked up in huge bunches. If that happened, i'd rather have Hall around to play everyday and see if he could turn things around. Obviously the best case would be that Branyan could be reasonably productive all year in his platoon role.

As with any possible trades though with Hall or any player, whether he should end up being traded IMO would entirely rest on who the trade was for and what we gave up if it was some package deal.

I apologize if this post seems dismissive or mean, but I think you were out of line with sbrylski. He's absolutely right about Dillon's minor league performance, and the Brewers are quite frankly silly if they don't pay attention to that. I often wonder if they really are that silly.

I also share your curiosity to see how Dillon would produce if given enough fairly consistent at bats, at least in a platoon, to get comfortable. It's nearly impossible to get an answer either way for any player that's getting between 10 and 20 at bats per month.

"I also share your curiosity to see how Dillon would produce if given enough fairly consistent at bats, at least in a platoon, to get comfortable. It's nearly impossible to get an answer either way for any player that's getting between 10 and 20 at bats per month. "

I agree the bigger problem with the B/D platoon is Russ, Though I do feel that Russ tends to work the count better than Hall. I have no stats to back that up. It just seems that Russ strikes out on 3-2 counts. (Course one of the times I pointed this out to my girl, he promptly stuck out on 3 straight)

You knew me as Myday2001.

well my Bill Hall jersey may be retired after barely a year of service time!

I right there with you. Seemed like a wise purchase at the time. Just came off a big year and signed an extension....

All I have to say about Billy is he's obviously not talented enough to party and chase tail and hit right handed pitching. Maybe instead of worrying about being traded he should show some commitment to his job.

I figured this was the most likely outcome after the aquired Cameron, Branyan made it even more likely. Hall was always going to be the first guy to go.

This is the type of thinking I hope we are past as an organization. A lot of guys hit minor league pitching, and Dillon has next to no pop in his bat. They need that out of a 3B platoon. I guess I'm not thrilled with the idea of more "unproven guys" playing important roles on what is supposed to be a contending team. We've had enough of those
There isn't one factual based opinion in that statement. Dillon has plenty of pop in his bat, he hasn't settled in yet... How long did it take Prince to start hitting HRs and he was playing every day? I'm not thrilled with the idea of fans that don't adequately research their opinions, and then post those opinions as facts. It's not reasonable to say that someone who hit 20 HRs in AAA has no pop in his bat...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I've never had a problem with a player who lets it be known they want to be traded. On the other hand, hinting out loud that JJ and Weeks should be (rightfully) benched instead can divide a team. While the perception is that it might hurt the Brewer's leverage, doesn't it let all the other 31 teams know it's ok to call the Brewers and make the first offer? (I bet the Bengals will wish they took Washington Redskin's offer for Ocho Cinco when they had the chance!) Perhaps someone overshoots a price that will make Melvin pull the trigger. That being said, Hall's greatest value is to someone else is as an IF super-sub or shortstop with power, but Juan Uribe's worse average and better glove didn't seem to fetch anything this offseason for the Whitesox.

Platoons can and do work. Mench/Jenkins was way better then watching Jenkins just get dominated by lefties in a similar way Hall has been looking for the last 1 1/3 years versus righties. I was and still am 100% in favor of a Branyan/Hall platoon over Hall everyday, Gywnn on the bench.

If they did move Hall, I consider Dillion to be somewhat comparable to a slightly less potent, but more versitle Cirillo version 2.0. While I feel that way I don't think the Brewers feel that way since he's had only 4-5? starts with the big club. The problem is I don't see a good trading partner for Hall right now except maybe the Rays or Twins, but they seem like they won't spend money on their own players much less another team's player.

If/when Hall gets hot and/or Branyan cools off, Billy will get more AB's with a righty on the mound, and all will be well in Hall's mind. I think if we can land a solid SP under our control for at least 2 years for a OF(excluding Laporta, but perhaps Gamel) prospect and Hall that could help the team more then the current 3B platoon with McClung/Villy starting. Like most mock-trades that perfect formula usually doesn't exist, and we'll likely see Hall in a Brewer uniform all year.

I am not defending Billy here, but wasn't this kind of inevitable, given that he's been ping-ponged around all over the place? Like everyone else in MLB, he wants to settle down into one position and not be bounced around pretty much every single year. I don't blame him for thinking that.

Obviously, though, the bottom line is production, and Billy hasn't exactly been providing that lately. If he was raking at 3B, there wouldn't be any question of a platoon, etc.

if Billy produces again, he'll have his starting job back in no time. To me it's like Turnbow asking to be traded. If he would have just shut his yap and focused on getting results, he could be closing again right now like he wanted. Instead he's getting blown up in AAA. Hopefully Billy doesn't go that route and can be a full time player for us again in July.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Dillon+Branyan>=Bill Hall, IMO
sbrylski,

The Brewers couldn't get rid of Branyan fast enough after 2005 after he hit .219 in August and .217 in September. In fact he barely played after Sept. 6th of that year when Aaron Harang fanned him 3 times on a total of 10 pitches, only one of which he managed to foul off. They had no interest in bringing him back in 2006. Branyan cannot be trusted to be the main 3B option on a team with championship hopes. Branyan has always been capable of a hot 2 weeks, but he's never been able to sustain it.

Dillon is a nice bench bat but has never had consistent playing time in the major leagues. It would be another risky move.

That's not to say Hall can't be traded, but how's this one? Hall to the White Sox for Joe Crede. Ken Williams was after Hall this offseason.

(pared back long quote --1992)

ESPN insider is rumoring the Dodgers are looking to trade for a veteran middle IF'er and that they have something in the works. I don't have insider to know what it says but Hall would fit there if the Brewers decide to deal him. Even though I am not a Hall fan, I am not sure if I want them trading him until after the season.

I don't have insider to know what it says but Hall would fit there if the Brewers decide to deal him.

It just says he's looking to be dealt. It doesn't mention any teams that are interested in him besides the Brewers.

I like Bill Hall, so if we keep him that is fine. But if we trade him, I'm okay with a Branyan/Dillon platoon for the rest of this year till Gamel is ready probably next season. If Hall packaged with a prospect not named Gamel or LaPorta can bring you a #2 or #3 type starter I say go for it.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

The Brewers couldn't get rid of Branyan fast enough after 2005 after he hit .219 in August and .217 in September.
You want to know the funniest thing about Branyan hitting .219 and .217 in that scenario? It would still be better than Hall's sub-.200 batting average against righties.

(pared back long nested quote --1992)

Some dude on mlbtraderumors (under the Bill Hall topic) suggested a Braun and Fielder trade for Zack Greinke. Other posters were offering Hall and LaPorta for Grienke.

Yeah, I would love to trade Hall and prospect(s) not named Gamel or LaPorta for Greinkie but that's about it.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

1) What in Russell Branyan's career makes people think he will be able to produce consistently. He wasn't good enough three or four years ago. Why now?

2) What in Joe Dillon's career makes people think he's capable of more than starting Sunday JV games and pinch hitting. He is what he is. There's a reason he bounced around the minors forever, then retired before making the show.

3) Why people would be willing to trade Laporta when it's more than likely Fielder will be unsignable down the line.

4) Why people would be willing to trade Gamel when it's still not clear that Weeks or Hardy will be able to hit enough, or if they'll be able to sign both of them long term.

marc your 4 points are valid, and imo correct. and branyan/dillon could be a nightmare, hitchcockian in fact.

to all the posters ready to hang hall out to dry, remember your battlecry about many postings on prince and weeks--the season is still early, it's only 33% over--dont give up on them. but throw hall to the wolves.

well i think hall has been made to look bad on this years team by the DM signing of cameron and the below average play of hardy and weeks, and now he is the odd man out again. and if he is in a platoon, why not tell him he can play a little shortstop too. maybe competition is good for more than one position on the brewers. face it, hall has been ripped off by the brewers since their love affair with j.j. he was a natural at ss with 35 home runs, while hardy was hurt. how many ss have hit over 30 hr's since the 2006 season? or in the last 10 years?

and with all the slumping, HALL STILL HAS 9 HR'S.

good luck billy on your next club. there are some things this brewer organization just does not get.

(pared back long quote --1992)

Ever see Brett Meyers punk Kyle Kendrick? Check it out on youtube, it's guaranteed laughter. Anyways....we trade Billy for Kobayashi. Bring Kobayashi in to fight the Klement's hotdog in a Klement's promo. It would bring me more joy than watching an overpaid baby whine about playing time when he hacks at terrible pitches every AB and throws balls into the dirt!

Funny story from last night's FSN AZ broadcast. Last night's AFLAC question was which 2 Brewers were the last to win gold gloves. (Cooper and Yount) Just after the answer, Billy makes his diving catch at 3rd which prompts this from Mark Grace..."Wow! Maybe Bill Hall should be considered for a gold glove this year." Sutton fires back with, "Yeah, he had 9 errors in the month of May...."

to all the posters ready to hang hall out to dry, remember your battlecry about many postings on prince and weeks--the season is still early, it's only 33% over--dont give up on them. but throw hall to the wolves.
Prince and Weeks aren't demanding a trade. No one was hanging Hall out to dry until this happened. I think there are a lot of people around here that are patient enough to wait out a player's slump, but when they go and say they want to be traded, and do it publicly, they're just asking to be thrown to the wolves. If Hall had kept this private and let the team get more value back for him, I would hold nothing against him.

And there were plenty of people ripping on Fielder when he was complaining about his contract. It's not always about performance on the field...sometimes these players have to realize that going public with this crap is not good for the organization and that makes it even worse for themselves.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I am having a hard time figuring out who I should be upset at in this whole ordeal. I can't blame Bill Hall for being upset because he has a right to be in many rights. He has taken many bullets on Doug Melvin and Ned Yost's whims and didn't complain one bit. He also has a point when pointing out that he wasn't the only person in the opening day 8 that have and are still struggling. The fact of the matter is that the hot streak that Russell Branyon was on couldn't be ignored. That is why I can't blame managment either. What do you do? You have another option that is just playing out of his head and you have to worry about winning...expecially when Ned Yost and possibly Doug Melvin is making moves to save a job.

The classy thing to do is sit down with Billy Hall and find out if he is just frustrated or really wants out. If he really wants out, I think Doug Melvin owes it to him to deal him for all the bullets Hall has taken for the organization. But this is a business and cut-throat at that and Bill Hall likely isn't going anywhere.

face it, hall has been ripped off by the brewers since their love affair with j.j.

I can't blame Bill Hall for being upset because he has a right to be in many rights. He has taken many bullets on Doug Melvin and Ned Yost's whims and didn't complain one bit.

Hall is still getting paid as one of the best players on the team though, correct? Hall shouldn't be complaining about anything. He isn't matching the contract he signed and because of his poor performance he's platooning. If he'd play better, he'd play. I don't like the idea of trading him now because I think his value might be a bit low -- hopefully I'm wrong.

If anyone should be upset, it should be the Brewers for giving Hall a contract that doesn't appear to be matching his performance.

1) Bill Hall has a right to ask for a trade. He hasn't thrown a tantrum; it seems pretty obvious he hasn't been detrimental in the clubhouse.

2) Bill Hall is also corect in that there are plenty of Brewers slumping season long and they haven't been platooned. I do believe that based on the Brewers reasons for platooning Hall, that Weeks and Hardy should also have been platooned.

3) Bill Hall was stupid to let his trade demand out.

4) Russell Branyan is not the answer. If he was, he would have been the answer somewhere, sometime.

5) We're not going to make the playoffs so what does it matter.

6) Because of #5 I'd be tempted to trade Hall for good AA pitching to go along with the next wave of LaPorta/Gamel/Escobar.

7) If we could manage LaRoche from the Dodgers, I think we should package Hall and others.

8) It makes more sense to keep Gamel than LaPorta if you're gonna package Hall for something really significant because Gamel would be the better first baseman when Prince is shopped. In addition Gamel is a lefthanded hitter, which is in short supply right now at the major league level. Also, I know I'm in the minority, but I really believe that Gamel is the better prospect, a better all around player who only lacks LaPorta's extreme power.

9) Bill Hall is in no way worth a whole lot right now. His contract while not off the charts isn't gonna help us. His current production isn't gonna help us. His public asking for a trade isn't gonna help us. I don't see how we pick up a decent starting pitcher.

10) Ozzy--super interesting comparison of Cameron and Hall.

jazyy- you are right that outright trade demands, and players expressing their indignations to the press does not help team chemistry, but also may not hurt it. it is part of the game these days for players to be a bit more vocal--some questioned braun's recent remarks and as you point out, fielder's contract comments.

overall i think that most of the players on the brewers (not branyan) sympathize with hall.

and i feel that hall is getting a raw deal right now. he was starting to hit with some consistency a few games before branyan was called up--this is what may irk him the most. perhaps these comments by him may actually help him/brewers through this situation.

Archived