Brewer Fanatic

Report: Hall's agent requests trade- Latest: Melvin "Not really motivated" to move him

AJAY

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"A .262 career hitter against right-handed pitchers before 2008, Hall felt unfairly singled out after switching positions several times in recent years at the club's bequest."

How to alienate a fanbase, by Bill Hall -- "'(Bross) knows how I feel,' Hall said."

Bill, with all due respect, get a grip on reality.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm sure there are some teams out there that could use a third baseman or shortstop.

Really? Shortstop? Is it just me or has Billy recently (the last 2 years) seemed unwilling or too stubborn to be the Super-sub? He needs to come to grips with the fact that like it or not, that's his position. He could be an average to mediocre 3B or SS or one of the top Super-subs in MLB. That could be the way to free up a roster spot for another pitcher...

Verified Member

Unless we get a really good offer, I think we should keep Hall. The thought of Weeks or Hardy getting hurt and having to watch Counsell play everyday scares me too much. I also don't know if Branyan will keep it up over the long haul. There is a reason he has bounced around a lot.

Hall still hits well against lefties and I like the platoon.

I could live with Hall getting traded, as long as the Brewers get a reasonable return. Branyan/Dillon should hopefully be able to hold down the fort until a longterm solution is found.

Agree, hope the Brewers can package him for a good SP to replace McClung.

Being a super-sub screws things up when contract time comes around. As a team guy, I think that's his strongest role. But financially, it could hurt him.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I think the Brewers should trade Bill Hall. Ever since we gave him the money, he hasn't played near the way he once did and he doesn't fit in with their future plans. Branyan has played extremely well when hes been in there and Mat Gamel is knocking on the door for playing time this season.

The Brewers are looking for a starting pitcher and they could get a pretty good one with Hall as the center piece and another player along with him. I for one would like to see Gamel this season and i think that Dillon and Branyan would be a solid platoon and they still have callix Crabbe in the minors. I think if Hall wants to leave i have no problem with it and it wouldn't hurt the team as much as everyone would think.

"If Billy's not going to be an everyday player, it's probably best for him and the team to be traded," Bross said. "They could get a pitcher for him that would really help the team.

Ummm...yeah. Define really help the team. What sort of return does a .250 hitter who doesn't get on base, strikes out a lot, and plays average defense bring?

Bill Hall does not accept trades lightly.

Who the heck would want him? We won't get a decent pitcher for him the way he is batting. Maybe if a team needs a SS? Is his contract that cheap that someone would pick him up willy-nilly? Arggh. I like me some Billy.

I don't blame Hall for wanting a trade and I don't blame the Brewers for doing what they want with him. I always thought that publicly demanding a trade was a dumb thing to do, however. All it does is lower your value on the open market. I doubt the Brewers could even give Hall away right now, with his contract as it is and this public declaration isn't going to raise that offer.

The only thing that is going to happen as a result of this demand is the fans spewing their typical venom.

I know that players want to play, but this team is on such a roll right now. Hall doesn't look like much of a team player with this action. He's got a guaranteed contract for a couple of years, it's not like being platooned this year is going to make him suffer financially. Disappointing move as far as I'm concerned.

Mat Gamel is knocking on the door for playing time this season.
How do you figure Gamel will be ready this season? Maybe in a year he can play outfield, but not 3B this season.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

A .262 career hitter against right-handed pitchers before 2008
I don't think that looking solely at his career average against RHP really paints a very good picture. Not suprising that TH doesn't delve deeper into the stats.

Hall's line last year against RHP was .247 / .305 / .408 / .713. This year is .163 / .226 / .326 / .552

It's been since 2006 (1.5 seasons) that he has hit RHP well. And he really appears to be regressing as a hitter overall since 2006. In addition to that, his defense has been spotty. Something had to be done.

Ugh, I often wonder what we could've gotten for a SS who has 35 HR potential. Imagine the load we could've gotten a couple years ago. I know hindsight is 20/20....

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I'm fine with a Branyan/Dillon platoon and don't think we'd lose much there right now.

I like Hall, but Branyan's production is head and shoulders better than the .160 AVG that Hall is putting up vs. righties.

Right after 2006 would have been the peak time to trade Hall, but now I don't see how we'd get much of a helpful return, certainly not the pitcher that would really help us that Hall's agent is thinking of.

I'm not a big fan of Ned Yost, but he did handle the platoon situation of Mench and Jenkins pretty well. I have a feeling if Hall sticks with the team in a platoon the rest of the year, Yost will not allow Billy to be a distraction. And I agree that Hall would not get us anything in a trade that would merit breaking up a platoon that could be above average in terms of total 3rd base production.

I don't blame Hall for wanting a trade and I don't blame the Brewers for doing what they want with him. I always thought that publicly demanding a trade was a dumb thing to do, however. All it does is lower your value on the open market. I doubt the Brewers could even give Hall away right now, with his contract as it is and this public declaration isn't going to raise that offer.

The only thing that is going to happen as a result of this demand is the fans spewing their typical venom.

Probably the only trade that would work is if you match another team that has a disgruntled player that needs a change of scenery...Sometimes those trades work out for both teams and other times they don't...but it is probably the only way that the Brewers get decent value for Billy.

Right after 2006 would have been the peak time to trade Hall....

Problem is, it would have been completely foolish to trade him then. He was 26, versatile, and coming off two straight very solid seasons. It appeared as though he was getting better. His regression is somewhat surprising, in my opinion. I thought keeping him (and extending him) was absolutely the right move, at the time.

Archived