Brewer Fanatic

Team #2: 6/6, 8:15pm (Game 6): BrewerFan.Net (radman12484), 1-3 vs. Salinas 2 Construction (Dude), 0-5

nullbyte

Kenny and I just talked. It would be good to have a practice yet tonight if anybody is interested. Please reply quickly so we can make a decision. Everybody had planned to be there anyways. We should practice at 645-7ish and then hit an area bar to watch the Brewer's game.

I went by the field again, it's in great shape. I'm writing an email to the rec department.

A Copy of my rant email to the Milwaukee Rec Adult Sports Department.

Sir or Madam,

I am writing to express how extremely disappointed I am in the operation and decision making of the Milwaukee Parks and Rec Department with the regard to inclement weather and playing conditions. Having just moved from Florida and playing ball for the past 12 years, I have never seen such a lack of effort to make conditions playable and general lack of personnel at the parks to assist in making the conditions playable.

We play Friday Nights at Dyer Field. We've had one cancellation earlier in the season in which there was one 6' by 6' puddle near the pitchers mound. Last week, we arrived at the field approximately one hour prior to the game and began to warm up. It was evident that an attempt to rake had been made hours earlier, but had not been touched since around lunchtime and the ground needed to be raked again and possibly some dry clay/soil added. We found the worker and she stated she did not have the equipment to perform the task neccessary to get the field ready. No shovel and no rake. She did say that she had a wheelbarrow to transport some nearby dirt we found, but stated she was not going to perform the task, that we needed to do so ourselves. She was in casual clothes and I assumed did not want to be bothered. Needless to say, we found a rake and prepped the field ourselves.

Then tonight (6/6), I drove by the field at 3:45 and found that there was no standing water and the field was in great shape, despite the cells of thunderstorms that had passed around earlier. All thunderstorm warnings and watches were cancelled by 4:00, no radar activity within Milwaukee County, let alone near Dyer Field yet ALL Recreation Activities were cancelled some few hours before the scheduled start of games. It seemed as if there was never even a general inspection performed of the individual fields and rather assumed that all the fields in the area must be bad. Had there been such a menial amout of time taken, there would be no reason to have the games cancelled at Dyer Field as the conditions were better than beyond playable.

It's disappointing that even when the field conditions are slightly rough some 2-3 hours before the games and the rain has already passed that no attempts are made to make them playable. Having spent time in the industry, it takes two men, a rake with quickdry or kitty litter and 20 minutes of time. Seemingly this department only works 6am -2pm and too bad for the citizens if a rain drop falls after 2pm.

Thanks for taking the time to read my rant. I realize this probably wont change and policies or procedures, but it would be nice to see a "modest" effort once in a while considering the amount of money that gets pumped into the Rec department through taxation and the collecting of fees for playing in these leagues.

Respectfully,

Lcbj68c (no I used my full name)

Sorry I missed out. I went out for a quick dinner with my sister and brother-in-law, got home around 7:00, and was about to head out to Dyer when I realized all my softball schtuff was sitting in my office at work. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Archived