Brewer Fanatic

Skipping the #5 starter in June

bork
Verified Member

I know Yost didn't want to skip any starters over the first 2 months, but with McClung as the #5 now, I think it makes sense to skip him in June.

After McClung starts tomorrow, the #5 would only be needed on the 15th and the 21st. Given the lack of alternatives, it would appear that the other 4 starters give them the best chance of winning. They've all been pitching better as of late.

I could not agree more. Furthermore, I would have no problem with those 15th and 21st starts being split between McClung and Villenuava, with each going 3-4 innings, depending on when their turn in the batting order comes up.

I had no problem with giving some of the starters an extra day's rest earlier in the season but it's time to step it up.

I agree, especially if McClung gets shelled out there on Tuesday night. If you only have 4 good starters and you can get by with 4 starters, that's what you do. It will be interesting to hear Yost's reasoning for not doing it.

It's not a bad idea. I'd wait to see how McClung looks tomorrow after 50 pitches. There really isn't enough time on the big league level to stretch him out and if he's not capable of managing 80+ pitches I'd use the four starters and a McClung/CV combo.

I do think thought that we'll see Weaver on the 15th and 21st.

Verified Member
That at least buys them a month to figure things out. The #5 will be needed 5 times in July, since the All Star Break is their only off days. Hopefully, Villanueva will be ready to go back into the rotation by then.

I totally disagree. A lot of June is spent playing AL teams. Neither Bush or Parra have shown the consistency to have a huge edge over the 5th starter anyway and Sheets needs to stay healthy all year. Of course Villanueva should be starting over McClung, but what happens if you don't start either, and Bush or Parra falters heading into the break? Who do you replace them with? Neither Villanueva or McClung will have been used enough to step in.

The big push comes after the All Star break when after one series with the Giants, the next 11 games are against St. Louis, Houston and Chicago.

If the Brewers think that the best way to get 30+ Starts out of Ben Sheets is to pitch him every 5th day, rather than every 5th game, I'm all for it. I'm guessing, however, that given his recent injury history, the team would rather do everything within reason to protect that throwing arm; if he gets hurt, not only is any shot at the playoffs gone, but they lose the chance to trade him for value.

Is the chance that he might still be around to pitch 2-3 additional times over the course of the season really worth the injury risk?

Neither Bush or Parra have shown the consistency to have a huge edge over the 5th starter anyway and

As dissapointing as Parra and Bush have been, there is a substantial gap between them and McClung and Weaver. McClung has a 6.23 ERA in 39 career starts and Weaver is getting shelled in AAA (and was terrible in 2006 and 2007 in the majors).

Unless Villy is tried again in the rotation (which I wouldn't be entirely against) there is a huge gap, IMO. If you are worried about keeping a #5 stretched out, they can get those starts on the 15th and 21st and be fine for July.

The Brewers are going to trade for Greg Maddux or Zach Grienke by June 15th, so this will all be a moot point. In all seriousness, if the off days permit, I would skip the 5th starter when applicable and piggy back Mc Clung/Villy to get us by those two games on the 15th and 21st. I would hope though that Melvin has something up his sleeve to help bolster the rotation BEFORE the July push against the Cards, Astros, and Cubs.

I think Jeff Weaver will be given a start or two as well. I think it is all but guaranteed. So basically, we will have suckitude out of the #5 spot. That is why I would try to skip the spot in the rotation now, and hope they make a move in June, so that Attanasio and Melvin go get the missing rotation piece that doesn't cost a Gamel, LaPorta, etc.

(edit: fixed code --1992)

I think Jeff Weaver will be given a start or two as well. I think it is all but guaranteed.

Why? I thought his minor-league contract includes the provision that he can request his outright release by a certain date. Not saying he's done anything that'd generate interest from other teams, just that I don't see why it'd be 'guaranteed' that he's going to get time in Milwaukee.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

just that I don't see why it'd be 'guaranteed' that he's going to get time in Milwaukee.
TLB, you are right in all regards about his contract for certain. I just feel that Melvin and Ash given the time they spent on this reclamation project will put him in the rotation for a shot given the fact that he has been better over his career than McClung ever was, and he did have recent success in 2006. It is kind of like you go out one day rummaging for a certain item (oh maybe baseball bat, fishing pole, glove, shovel, etc) and throw the item in your garage for later use. You didn't spend a lot of money on it, but you are so tempted to see what kind of "bang for your buck" you will get by trying it out.

I think that is what Melvin is doing, waiting for one or two decent starts and his line from the last game of 7IP, 8H, 2ER, 6K, 2BB is one of those starts. I don't like it at all, but I think they will say if he gets another quality start down there before the 15th, Melvin will call him up despite the poor ERA and say that the cause for some of his troubles was the lack of spring training. This way Melvin gets to try out that "item" that he bought from the rummage, with the upside being Weaver succeeds 2006 style and Melvin then looks like a genious, or he fails like McClung and we are no worse off.

Either way, he obviously knows that the team needs pitching help to come in via the trade route.

Skipping the #5 starter sounds like a fine idea to me.

When it can't be skipped, if Villy isn't the guy to take the starts (or if he's deemed too effective or important as a short reliever), here's my preference order:

1) Mark DiFelice

2) Any non-prospect "replacement player" minor league vet currently starting in AAA for another team who has posted decent K and BB ratios over the last few years. You know, the Adam Pettyjohns and R.A. Dickeys of the world. Might have to trade a PTBNL.

3) Seth McClung

4) Random hobo off the street holding "Will pitch for beer" sign

5) Jeff Weaver

For those that would argue that Sheets's health is too important to skip starts, I haven't seen any research to show that the lack of the occasional extra day off between starts increases the likelihood of injury. And if the team were to offer this as a justification for not skipping the 5th starter, I'd really want to hear why it's okay for Ned to let him throw 120+ pitch CGs every time he's pitching well, no matter how far ahead we are.

Archived