Brewer Fanatic

Doug Davis: Standing O?

I probably attended 30-40 Twins' games in my Twin cities years, and I do not recall a single person booing once...and many years, they were awful.

Justify all you wish, Milwaukee boos early and often.

My impression of Minnesota fans (based on the Crew series last year) was that they have no idea at all what to do

They only cheered when the scoreboard told them too, and half-heartedly at that, had no spirit, and in general no interest in being alive, let alone cheering or booing for a baseball game

They did boo once, when someone unfurled a 10 foot Bret Favre cut out in the LF stands, out of place, but hilarious none the less

Minnesota fans are a fickle bunch, and that's something you'll most of them will readily admit. It covers all of their sports too. I understand it with the Wolves and Vikings because they've been nothing but losing teams for the most part. But the Twins HAVE won titles, and the fan bases in that state have just always seemed overly pessimistic to me.

Editors note: A standing ovation requires the participation of a huge majority of the crowd (as in almost everyone). One person doesn't constitute a standing ovation, nor do segments of a crowd.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I wasn't there at the start of the game(got there late due to a friend having to work late). However i was sitting on the 3B side when he left the game. A good deal of clapping and a decent amount of people standing and applauding for him when he left. I didn't hear any boos at all.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

To be honest, I didn't think there was much cheering for him at all. I think the same amount of noise would've been made if DiFelice entered the game in the 7th inning up 6 runs.

It was the most applause i have ever seen for an opposing pitcher leaving the game. That may not be saying alot, but it was noticable to me.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I was at the game. (I know I'm late at the party, no tubes at the new place yet). But there was a smattering of applause at each at bat and when he took the mound. A decent applause when he left the game. I was up in Club and a few people commented "You really seem to like Doug Davis eh?". I replied "The man beat cancer and was a former Brewer.", "Ohh I didn't know that". And proceeded to then give the man his dues!

I think it's safe to say that in general the average fan is dumber than they were 20 years ago..

It's a different age.

I think I agree with this. "Dumb" may be a harsh conclusion, but there's definitely a dearth of fan decorum in Milwaukee lately.

I remember during the 1982 World Series how the TV announcers would say what great fans we had in Milwaukee. Now mind you, we were an AL champion team then, and there were fewer frustrations to inspire boos, but I am appalled by all the booing that goes on at Miller Park.

It did irk me when Wes Helms said that we booed Jenkins when we didn't, but it does go to show that fans booing Jenkins is believable.

I was happy to see that the fans cheered for Randy Johnson's K record, and thought maybe there is some hope, but Milwaukee has become, disappointingly, very boo happy.

Verified Member
I think those who know the full Doug Davis story stand up and applaud the guy. Those who don't (2/3rds of the crowd?) are all confused about why people are cheering for the opposing pitcher who used to be a Brewer. And a small portion of those 2/3rds smatter boos because of him being a former Brewer or just because he's the opposing pitcher regardless of knowing he's a former Brewer.

Archived