Brewer Fanatic

Doug Davis: Standing O?

I will stand and clap. I hope others do as well.

But after Carlos being booed multiple times yesterday, I am skeptical of casual Brewer fans.

Carlos was traded because he would not accept a fairly generous offer (imo). So I could imagine why there would be some animosity.

Davis on the other hand was a class act while he was here and just beat cancer. I would hope anybody would clap for someone surviving cancer, regardless of their rooting interest.

I know myself, and the group I'm with, will give Davis a standing ovation. Did nothing but succeed and overachieve with the Brewers and allowed us to net a couple of decent players in a trade after his tenure. Oh what I would give to have him back this season though.

Carlos was traded because he would not accept a fairly generous offer (imo). So I could imagine why there would be some animosity.

We offered Lee a 4 year, $48 million deal that we knew he wouldn't take. Houston gave him a 6 year, $100 million deal. This isn't a Coco Cordero difference, the difference is over $50 million.

As for DD, he absolutely should get applause but there will be knuckleheads who boo.

I've actually heard casual fans explaining to other friends with them that you're supposed to boo former players. Sometimes I get so embarrassed.

As for Carlos, not to get into this argument again, but he accepted a contract that was much larger than what we offered him. You can't fault players for things like that. If Prince gets traded and signs long-term with the Red Sox, after presumably turning down a long-term deal with us, I will still cheer him and hate the Red Sox.

I've said this elsewhere; I'll boo Gary Sheffield. I will not treat any other player with the same greeting and make them comparable to Sheffield. Especially not someone that just recovered from cancer.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Posted this in the IGT as well, guy deserves nothing less. He wasn't the best pitcher around, but he took the ball every 5 days. Anybody who gets through cancer of any type and back to the show deserves a standing-o in my book.

I have to guess that ~ 50% of the fans in the stadium won't know enough about Davis' time post-Brewers to know about his beating Cancer....so I kind-of doubt he'll get the kind of applause that warrants.

We offered Lee a 4 year, $48 million deal that we knew he wouldn't take. Houston gave him a 6 year, $100 million deal. This isn't a Coco Cordero difference, the difference is over $50 million.

I do not understand the point you are trying to make. I was saying that I understand why someone would boo Lee, he turned down, what is to the layman, a ton of money not to play here. I do not agree with the opinion to boo him, I just understand the thought process of someone who does.

I'm almost positive he'll get a standing ovation. If anyone boos him they either probably don't know about his cancer, or are too drunk to think about it.

I wouldn't expect very many (if any) boos tonight. Edit: Even boos directed towards Yost, I don't expect to hear much of.

It's a Monday. The drunk boo birds normally only come out for the Friday and Saturday games.

Every professional athlete makes a ton of money compared to the average fan.

I think even a "layman" would understand it's smart to take an extra $52 million. But I agree there are some that are too dumb to understand that, and hence the boos.

I have to guess that ~ 50% of the fans in the stadium won't know enough about Davis' time post-Brewers to know about his beating Cancer....so I kind-of doubt he'll get the kind of applause that warrants.

Maybe the Brewers will run a "congratulations and best wishes" videoboard message. That might prompt some classy behavior.

I realize it's not the same thing, but they had the big videoboard tribute for Jenkins (which for me was a surprise).

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Every professional athlete makes a ton of money compared to the average fan.

I think even a "layman" would understand it's smart to take an extra $52 million. But I agree there are some that are too dumb to understand that, and hence the boos.

You would hope so, but our fans have proven us wrong before.

I'd politely applaud Davis. It's a nice story.

But do I miss him as a pitcher? Frankly no.

There was no way they were going to keep Davis and still sign Suppan and Suppan's record as a Brewer is pretty much even with Davis' record with Arizona. But Suppan has a lower WHIP, logs a few more innings, and doesn't put the defense or the crowd asleep by walking so many hitters. Granted Suppan got a bigger contract, but that was because he was coming off a better year than Davis.

PrimeTime955 wrote:

it wasn't his choice to leave.

It wasn't directly his choice, but he did force the hand of management by stating that he wanted a 3 year contract or he was going to arbitration.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I got a pair of e-mails that said they sat next to small groups that booed Jenkins. It's become a boo happy town.
Two emails, two small groups and all of a sudden it's a boo happy town? Jenkins got a standing O - just because a couple of high school kids booed him doesn't make MKE a boo happy place.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Community Moderator

To be fair, 100 million wasn't even on Carlos' radar that July- reportedly the hang up was that the Brewers wouldn't go a fifth year at 12 million per for a 5/60 contract. 6/100 only came after the wild spending happened fairly unexpectedly that offseason.

Archived