Brewer Fanatic

Triple steal by the Indians

2hoophead

Hmmm... why couldn't an error be charged on that play? The runner appeared to tip-toe across home plate only after he saw the catcher drop the throw. Obviously I have no idea what plays looked like from the 30's-70's, but crediting 3 players with stolen bases on that play is just another reason for me to doubt the validity of comparing stats between the generations.

They scored that a triple steal after it was started by a baserunning error (runner gets caught off first). That's a joke. I'd probably score it E2 with the other 2 runners advancing on a fielders choice. No SB.

I forwarded the link to my son, a college-level umpire, and here was his reply after viewing:

"Was that a called steal/squeeze? otherwise, where the hell was the runner on first going when the pitcher faked to 3rd?
I would find it very hard to believe that the runner on 3rd broke to the plate before the pitcher would have came to the plate. But it almost looks like that. If that[/i] is the case, what a hell of a risk, hoping that the play would be botched, or that the pitcher would balk.... That is a crazy play."

Verified Member
3 balls, 2 strikes, 2 outs. All three runners were going on the pitch, but got a little antsy and didn't make sure he went home with the pitch. Had Hall caught the ball at home, the runner still would have been safe. I see a triple steal--no errors. Konerko and the 2nd baseman should have been able to get the runner at first in the rundown before Delucci made it home. It was botched defensively by the Sox.

Archived