Brewer Fanatic

Small trade with Giants for bullpen help?

Because a team with little hope in the present doesn't need to hold onto 30 year old LOOGYs having career seasons. I'd pass because he isn't better than Shouse. As a possible Shouse replacement next year? Maybe.

Because a team with little hope in the present doesn't need to hold onto 30 year old LOOGYs having career seasons. I'd pass because he isn't better than Shouse. As a possible Shouse replacement next year? Maybe.

Taschner, is not a loogy, by any stretch of the imagination. This year he has not fared very well against righties, but over his career, he has pretty good results against righties. I cannot find the career splits, but according to Baseball Prospectus, he has a better K rate against righties career, then against lefties. The fact that he can get out righties makes him much more valuable than Shouse, in my opinion. Well obviously it's my opinion, because I wrote it, so why I have to put that in, I dont know.

30 year old LOOGY

I wouldn't advocate using him as a full inning-guy all the time, but Taschner's career splits actually aren't that bad.

OPS against vRH: .742

OPS against vLH: .719

For comparison's sake, here's Shouse:

OPS against vRH: .843

OPS against vLH: .598

Taschner has only had 1.146 years of service, so if that is correct, than he would be under control for 4 more years, after this, right? Anyway, if we were to make a deal for him I cant see a reliver with a career 4.74 ERA getting a ton back. Probably not more than a C level prospect.

No way he only has 1.146 years of service. He was on the roster all of 2007 and 2008, plus 1/3rd of 2006 and 2005.

The Brewers could use a second lefty in the pen. If all it costs is a Darren Ford, Lorenzo Cain, or a Brendan Katin, I'm all for it.

No way he only has 1.146 years of service. He was on the roster all of 2007 and 2008, plus 1/3rd of 2006 and 2005.

The 1.146 is the number before 2008 and is listed at Cots. I believe the site gets the info from media guides.

Archived