Brewer Fanatic

Bill Hall and Tony Gwynn, Jr. for Starting Pitcher?

But is Blanton a worthwhile guy to get considering what Beane would ask in return? Blanton is Suppan, but younger. That doesn't excite me much at all. He has some value, but not enough to give up any of the Brewers top 5-6 prospects for, imo. Also consider that he's about to get expensive thanks to his pretty good win totals. He's making almost $4 million in his first year of arby.

I am still on the boat for the Gwynn Jr to San Diego for Maddux. If there is interest in Hall, I would consider it to get the deal done with something coming back. The way Maddux pitched last night against the Cubs, boy would that be nice.

Melvin this morning on WTMJ was asked about the philosophy of pitchers "pitching to contact" and obviously he mentioned that Mike Maddux is a big believer of that philosophy, and he even went on to say that Greg Maddux is the best pitcher of all time of pitching to contact. I wonder if he had Greg Maddux on his mind for some reason.....hmmmm.....

He better hurry up though, Atlanta is about to pounce on Greg Maddux to help try to create a reunion with Glavine and Smoltz (from the golf course).

They can say whatever they want to say, but when it all comes down to it, San Diego would be absolutely GIDDY over the acquisition of Tony Gwynn Jr. Their team is going nowhere this year. Do you really think fans are going to pile into Petco this summer to watch the Padres lose 90 games? No, but you add the son of their franchise player to the mix and you have instance revenue. Not to mention the fact that he actually might be a better option than what they have. I'm not sure that they need Hall, but what the hey.

For Maddux, I don't see why Gwynn alone wouldn't be enough. He was traded for someone worse two years ago. Maybe Izturis is a slightly better player because he's an atrocious hitting SS, while Gwynn is an atrocious hitting CF, but Gwynn is much cheaper, the son of the Padres franchise player, and under control for a long time. Plus, Gwynn at least has a little bit of upside.

I think Gwynn unquestionably is more valuable than Izturis was when he was traded.

Archived