Brewer Fanatic

Bill Hall and Tony Gwynn, Jr. for Starting Pitcher?

While driving home from today's awesome Braun bobblehead/whipping of the Astros series sweep game, I was listening to 1250's post game show and a caller asked about possibly trading Hall and Gwynn for a pitcher. I thought for a second and said, yeah why not? Gwynn is really no use to this team now or long term. Hall while I like him a lot, could bring some value even slumping. For the rest of this season you go with a Branyan/Dillon platoon at 3B and next year you should be set with Gamel making Hall expendable. So why not trade Hall/Gwynn for a #2 type starter? What do you guys think?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I could see maybe a minor league pitcher, but these deals that work well on video games don't work so well in real life. These 2 guys are basically spare parts, one was demoted to AAA, one was demoted to a platoon. You aren't going to get premium value for spare parts, we have to give something to get something.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I don't think you'll find a team giving up a #4 starter for Bill Hall and Tony Gwynn. If you can find a taker, sure, absolutely do it. You've laid out a good case for why they are so expendable to the Brewers. What teams do you think would be willing to give up a valuable pitcher for players that aren't that useful to a .500 club?

While driving home from today's awesome Braun bobblehead/whipping of the Astros series sweep game, I was listening to 1250's post game show and a caller asked about possibly trading Hall and Gwynn for a pitcher. I thought for a second and said, yeah why not? Gwynn is really no use to this team now or long term. Hall while I like him a lot, could bring some value even slumping. For the rest of this season you go with a Branyan/Dillon platoon at 3B and next year you should be set with Gamel making Hall expendable. So why not trade Hall/Gwynn for a #2 type starter? What do you guys think?

Gamel hitting wise will be ready to play 3B everyday but defensively yuck. I don't want to have another year of a Braun type of a player at 3B. I don't like the Branyan/Dillon platoon at 3B yuck that is almost as bad as the Graff/Counsel platoon last year.

I would rather just trade Gwynn and Crabbe to the Padres for Wolf and a B/C type of a prospect. Plus moving Hall is not as easy as it would be moving Gwynn and another player. I'm not sure there are any teams looking for a player like Hall that are willing to give up some pitching.

I love Bill Hall but if the right trade came around I would take it but I'm not sure trading him would be a good thing. I would rather continue the Branyan and Hall platoon. With the Hall and Branyan platoon you are not losing a lot of production as you are with a Branyan and Dillon platoon.

If Prince gets hurt or needs a day off I would rather have Hall around than Dillon. Dillon playing everyday or the possibility of playing a lot of games makes me sick.

I would rather trade Gwynn, Gillespie, and Crabbe for Greinke. I'm not sure that would be enough for Greinke we would probably have to add another player in there probably a low level pitching prospect.

With the state of the minor league prospects right now, the MLB club, and the pitching, everyone aside from Braun, Weeks, Kendall, and Cameron could be mentioned in a trade really.

Gamel hitting wise will be ready to play 3B everyday but defensively yuck. I don't want to have another year of a Braun type of a player at 3B. I don't like the Branyan/Dillon platoon at 3B yuck that is almost as bad as the Graff/Counsel platoon last year.

From what I have heard Gamel is starting to improve his defense. As for Branyan/Dillon being worse then Graff/Counsell I would have to disagree. Dillon isn't going to give you the power Hall would in the platoon but he is decent hitter. Branyan will play most days anyway because there are more RHP then LHP.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

So why not trade Hall/Gwynn for a #2 type starter?
Gallardo is a #2 type starter. Hall & Gwynn would be much closer to a one year rental or a #4 type starter. (Which would still be an improvement over McClung)

So why not trade Hall/Gwynn for a #2 type starter?
Gallardo is a #2 type starter. Hall & Gwynn would be much closer to a one year rental or a #4 type starter. (Which would still be an improvement over McClung)

Yeah I suppose Hall/Gwynn wouldn't be worth a Gallardo type. But I would think a good #3 or 4 would be good, rental or not.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Yeah, you'd never get a real #2 starter for those guys unless he had a lot of warts (recent injury history, vastly overpaid, struggling this year, etc) and was a rental. Hall's struggles will scare a lot of teams off when they know he's signed for 2 more years and could be dead weight.

With the state of the minor league prospects right now, the MLB club, and the pitching, everyone aside from Braun, Weeks, Kendall, and Cameron could be mentioned in a trade really.

huh? I don't understand this level of backlash against Prince. Now Weeks is more valuable to the Brewers? Kendall and Cameron too? 2 guys in their mid-30s coming off of down years are more valuable to a team that fancies itself a contender than a guy who finished 3rd in the MVP voting last year and turned 24 3 weeks ago? What the heck is going on here, I just don't understand it.

I wasnt referring to players abilities; mainly the state of the depth in the minor leagues. Braun is untouchable, Weeks has no backup, Cameron has no backup, and the catchers aren't ready either. The rest of them, there is an adequate replacement. Fielder is great and would be worth some great pitching, but there's always a decent downgrade in Laporta.

Brewcrew, there is no way that Hall and Gwynn bring back a #2 starter in return. It really pains me to say that too. I watched TG Sr. in San Diego for years while in the Navy. The dude was class all the way so I'd root for anything associated with him. I've always liked Hall as well cuz he just wants to play. I think realistically, you'd have to offer them to a team like the Red Sox and maybe take a flyer on Bartolo Colon, if even that was possible. There just isn't much value there in my opinion

How is LaPorta more ready than Crabbe, Iribarren, or even Salome? Those guys have at least been playing the positions that they project to play in Milwaukee. LaPorta has played one game at first and his D was poor there even in college. I doubt he'd be ready to step in there tomorrow. I feel Prince, despite LaPorta's presence, is still one of the 2 most valuable players to the team. Don't forget, when Prince was as old as LaPorta is now, Prince was dominating MLB to a greater extent than LaPorta is dominating AA.

I dunno, I just feel trading young, premium players is stupid. You hope to get one back in a trade, so why trade them in the first place?

The key for any small market team is to determine which players will form your core, because you aren't going to be able to afford everyone. The key for the Brewers is this question, is Prince Fielder someone you can build a team around? My answer to that question is no, he is not. He's an outstanding hitter, maybe a good leader, and that's about it. I always figured they'd have to move him for a younger 1B when the time came, but with the power prospects behind him, maybe we could get what this team really needs, quality young pitching. The idea is worth exploring, even if nothing happens.

How could Laporta possibly be worse than Prince at 1B? If he can field a short hop throw he makes the entire defense better...

Why does seemingly every thread in every forum turn into a Fielder discussion?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Nobody is going to take our trash*(one was demoted to AAA, one was demoted to a platoon) without giving us trash* back...Boston will unload Lugo on us etc...

I really dont think that Gwynn would be worthless in a trade at all. Last year at the deadline, and this off-season a couple of teams showed interest in him. The Padres, White Sox, and Rangers all showed quite a bit of interest. I think Gwynn could bring back a back of the rotation guy, or a #3 rental. I could see the Padres giving up Maddux if it is towards the end of July. We would only have Maddux for a couple of months, so it is not like we would have to give up a ton. Wolf is another option. Hall would be a little trickier.

Hall's value has to be very low considering his struggles for the past year and a half. Not many teams are going to want to give up anything for a guy who has not hit good enough to play third since 2006, and is owed 6.8 million next year, and over 8 in 2010.

I would love to see some prove that Gwynn had gained interest from teams last year. It was posted in this area that he could be moved for help, but I dont recall from any source that there was serious talks of moving him.

I thought I remember seeing reports of the Dodgers being interested in Hall in the off-season. What about trading him in some sort of package for Penny or Lowe, or maybe even Andy Laroche? Or how about to the White Sox in a package for Vazquez. How much value does Hall actually have?

Not too sure about Hall's value. But Hall, Gwynn, and a decent prospect (not Gamel or LaPorta) could net us one of a few decent pitchers soon to hit the market.

Blanton

Street

Maddux

Wolf

Nathan

Penny

Lowe

Odalis Perez- may not need Hall to acquire him.

Millwood

Padilla

Arroyo

I would rather see Lowe or Penny, but Maddux or Wolf would make me happy too.

It certainly seems to time to dangle Hall and Gwynn somewhere. Hall is probably more valuable to the Brewers than on the market, but maybe it would be best to let him go. We can't be serious about McClung in the rotation if we have playoff aspirations.

Why does seemingly every thread in every forum turn into a Fielder discussion?

Maybe because people are talking like some dubious theory is actually conventional wisdom, which is provoking other people to reply?

The rumor mill started up again in terms of Gwynn for Maddux, though I'm not sure I can see the Padres giving us Greg for Tony - I'd think we'd need to put more in the deal and I'm not willing to give up a whole lot for a year or two rental on Maddux.

Ozzie wants to shake up his Sox lineup. Maybe getting Vazquez would really be possible...

Vazquez is the ace of the White Sox. No way they part with him. A couple months ago you could have easily gotten Contreras for Hall, but Contreras has been lights out this year. Maybe Contreras would still be an option, but it might take Hall and McClung at the minimum.

The Sox might be willing to deal FA to be Crede for Hall. Then they'd bring up Fields and play Hall either at 2nd or CF.

Archived