Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 6-20

Please use this thread to share your thoughts, links, stories, pictures and anything else on the Brewers picks on draft day from rounds 6 through 20. Please do not start separate threads to discuss the individual picks.

I'm an Aggie and found the Duran pick interesting. His bat has been much more solid than I would have predicted and A&M's stadium is nuetral. However, his defense has a long way to go. I wouldn't say he doesn't have any of the necessary tools, he's just highly inconsistent. He had a similar path as Brandon Hicks, who was drafted by the Braves last year in the 3rd and has flown through the organization. He was a JUCO guy that had a questionable bat that proved it at a major D1 program. However, I'd say he didn't go as high as Hicks has a little more size, speed, and was a more consistent defender.

Picks so far as of 12:35 PM CST:

Round 6: Jose Duran, SS, Texas A&M University

Round 7: Steve "Trey" Watten, RHP, Abilene Christian University

Round 8: Erik Komatsu, OF, Cal State Fullerton University

Round 9: Michael Bowman, RHP, Virginia Military Institute

Round 10: Gregory Miller, RHP, Seton Hall University

Round 11: Michael Marseco, SS, Samford University

Round 12: Garrett Sherrill, RHP, Appalachian State University

Round 13: Robert Wooten, RHP, University of North Carolina

Round 14: Corey Kemp, C, East Carolina University

Round 15: Mark Willinsky, RHP, Santa Clara University

Round 16: Stosh Wawrzasek, RHP, Walnut Grove High School

Round 17: Damon Krestalude, RHP, Port St. Lucie High School

Round 18: Nicholas Bucci, RHP, St. Patrick's High School

Round 19: Blakeney Billings, RHP, Hillcrest High School

Round 20: Liam Ohlmann, RHP, Manchester Community College

East Coast Scout is gonna make a lot of commissions this year. ha

It is interesting to note that the Brewers have drafting closers from high level college programs in 3 of the last 4 rounds....The WCC was highly scouted by the crew as well, as the Brewers have now selected 4 players i believe from that conference....12 pitchers drafted now in the first 15 rounds.

It is interesting to note that the Brewers have drafting closers from high level college programs in 3 of the last 4 rounds....The WCC was highly scouted by the crew as well, as the Brewers have now selected 4 players i believe from that conference....12 pitchers drafted now in the first 15 rounds.

Sounds right according to plan. If we are going to pay big money for our hitters and starting pitchers then we will need some young guns in the bullpen.

I'm a regular on Inside Carolina, an independent UNC sports site that covers their three major sports (Baskeball, Football, and now Baseball). I just went on their baseball board a little bit ago to ask if anyone could give me some information on Wooten. Here's what one of their mods said about him:

"Rob Wooten has been the critical relief pitcher for the Tar Heels the past two years. This year he has been the closer, but pitches whenever the stakes are highest. He has a great slider with a biting 3 to 8 break and when it is working along with his fastball he is very difficult to hit.

I think that he has the potential to be a relief pitcher for the Brewers within two or three years, especially if he keeps command of his slider.

The best thing about Wooten in my opinion is that on the field and in the clubhouse he has excellent leadership skills along with a great personality and is always handy with a great quote when you need it."

Sounds pretty dang good to me, especially for a 13th Rounder. And on top of that he seems to be a good guy. I like this pick.

It is always nice when you can get the best name in the draft, as I think we just did in drafting 17 year old Stosh Wawrzasek.

Oops, after doing a little research, Stosh is actually a pitcher and a teammate of Lawrie from British columbia, and was seen at one point as being a better prospect that Lawrie....big kid too that has topped out at 95 mph and was seen potentially as a 3rd rounder.

http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=130200

http://www.bclocalnews.com/sports/Dont_think_just_throw_the_ball.html?period=W&mpStartDate=05-29-2008

15 picks in 18 rounds so far are pitchers. WOW!

As far as Stosh's signability, that seems to be the question. Brewers have a good relationship with the teams in Canada due to the visiablity level up there. It sure seems doable though. Having Lawrie won't hurt.

I don't know about who the Brewers left behind at Extended Spring Training but I sure hope they are position players cause we hardly drafted any so far. 20 rounds to do that but wow we are going pitching nuts so far.
I don't have much of a problem with stocking up on pitchers. I keep reading on the boards and other places on the internet about how the Brewers don't seem to have any quality arms in the minors. Well, maybe we're trying to rectify that. I like the plan, if it is indeed the plan.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived