Brewer Fanatic

5/30/08 Astros (Backe) at Brewers (Parra): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
I agree Hardy's numbers are not pretty but right now, this year, Hall is the guy who is platoon material with a .168 BA, .228 OBP, and Slug .328. You can say small sample size but his numbers are well off his career norms add in the fact he is striking out almost once every three at bats. I guess we could platoon Counsell with Hardy as well as Branyan with Hall but that is a lot of platooning going on. It does go to show this lineup is to right hand dominate

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And his OBP is 70 points lower this season. Hardy's career splits:

VS LHP .288 .363 .520

vs RHP .252 .308 .376

He just doesn't get on base vs RHP. Neither does Hall but at least Hall still slg 450 against RHP.

And give up the defense of Hardy for all would not be worth it, at his best Hall is an average SS. Hardy is an above average SS. Hall was horrible at getting a jump on balls when he played short and I dont know how that can change after two seasons of not playing in that spot.

Community Moderator
JJ Hardy has one of the worst range factors in MLB. Have you ever seen him make a diving stop and throw? Hardy has an above-average arm that is very accurate, but overall I would consider him to be average or below-average defensively.

JJ Hardy has one of the worst range factors in MLB. Have you ever seen him make a diving stop and throw? Hardy has an above-average arm that is very accurate, but overall I would consider him to be average or below-average defensively.

Cal Ripken did not make a lot of diving plays either. I watch the game with my eyes and Hardy makes all the plays a SS should make, that is what you need at SS. There is no need for a guy that screws up a couple of simple plays and makes one highlight play. Hardy is in no way considered below average when it comes to defense.

That's why defense is so hard to quantify. One person says, "Did you see that diving play? That was amazing!" and another person says, "A good shortstop keeps his feet making that play."

The stats are extremely hard to determine/rule.

I agree that JJ is the solid yet unspectacular SS. His arm is well above-avg. I'd hesitate to even call it above-avg. His hands are good, & he gets good jumps/reads. He just lacks the explosiveness to get to as much as some SS do. I'm with hauser in that I prefer the guy that makes the plays he should. On balance, I think of him as above-avg. defensively, fwiw.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Kendall's average is down in the .250's now but I can't really complain because his D has been way better than what I thought it would be and his OBP is still much better than Estrada's

Community Moderator

3TO has 2 out of the 3 true outcomes today. Hopefully he gets the third.

Adding to the Hardy topic, I don't see him getting good jumps or reads. In fact, from my observations and the stats, I would say that he is not very agile and is rather slow for a shortstop. There are many ground balls that at least 2/3 of MLB shortstops would get to that go under his glove. His vertical leap isn't nearly as high as Weeks or Hall. He doesn't make throwing errors, but people remember errors, not balls that weren't even touched.

What? Berkman is up Ned and he's almost hitting .400. Intentionally walk him!

BF.net tells me that the Astros are too good, & Manny Parra is too bad. What's going on?

Prince clearly ate some bacon in the dugout before this AB!

Nice to see him contributing, hopefully as the weather heats up so will he.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Man, that was one impressive 'strong man' HR. Really took some muscle to hit that pitch out to RF.

Did anyone else just notice how akward that exchange was btw. Simba & Ned?

Archived