Brewer Fanatic

I Hope She's Warming Up the Grill Tonight

chuckcrim
I wonder if even just a little meat would help get that something back. Even if its not a lot, enough to get some extra power back in the big bat.

I would put money on the assumption that all that would do is get rid of one excuse for his lack of power.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was it just me or did the HR he just hit seem like it was gonna go 15 miles.... but didn't get far up the bleachers at all? I think a lot of his power is gone, but his muscle isn't.

He hit a breaking ball of his back foot. I mean, what more do you expect? He put a ball out that very, very few others would have a chance to hit out.

Anyway, looks like he's losing some weight!

He hit a breaking ball of his back foot. I mean, what more do you expect? He put a ball out that very, very few others would have a chance to hit out.

I hope your right. I thought..."wow, he swung so hard he nearly fell over and the ball barely got out"

Yeah, I think it's screwing him up mentally. While I'm not taking either side(meat or no meat) because I don't know for sure, those who argue that he's getting the same protein benefits from whatever his nutritionist is giving him as if he ate meat, it may not be true. Science is always finding new information out that people never expected. For instance, this article about milk protein being more beneficial than soy protein...

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=23404

... all I'm saying is that it's just as possible that he lost strength as it is that he stayed the same or gained strength.

I agree with Gopher. All the statements about "Prince is clearly bigger than last year", seem to be based on personal opinion. I think he looks about the same, personally. No one has offered any serious concrete evidence that he is significantly bigger, or has lost muscle mass, put on fat, etc. No one really knows how he's eating, either. I know someone posted that they "know someone in the locker room" who said Prince eats salads with lots of cheese and Doritos and junk, but that's about it. Not exactly concrete evidence, IMHO.

Ah, I love these types of arguments. Of course no one has concrete evidence that Prince is fatter this year. Unless one of us sneaks in to his bedroom, knocks him out, weighs him, and tests his body fat etc. that concrete evidence you're pining for just isn't going to be disclosed. Oh, and then jump in our time machine, go back a year ago, and do the same thing.

He IS listed 10 pounds heavier than he was last year. And we all know how the listed heights and weights of any athlete are exaggerated one way or another. And in this case if Prince is LISTED at 270 pounds, I think it's safe to say he weighs considerably more than that. Of couse, I have no proof, so if you need proof to form an opinion in this argument, I guess he's fit as a fiddle, and hasn't gained a pound since last year...oops, I mean except for the 10 that is listed publicly.

Sometimes, you just need to trust the old eyeballs.

Prince doesn't look any bigger to me either. I just can't bring myself to blame his diet over a 2 month power slump when every year a ton of players have them without any reason for it.

Well, for me, whenever I comment on this topic, I never bring up Fielder's production (I do have an opinion on the matter though). I am just simply saying that you can tell he's fatter this year than last year, just by looking at him. That would be looking at him in person at Miller Park, on television, in pictures. That's all I'm saying.

Whether or not his obvious (to me) extra poundage is the cause for his mediocre season thus far, I don't know. Pitchers could be pitching him different, again, I don't know.

But it seems like whenever people just say 'dude is fatter than last year' we get all these people calling people ridiculous for a [insert small sample length] slump being related to his weight. I'm not arguing that, quite frankly, because it's not worth the time. I'm just saying that looking at him, he has gained weight.

so it's safe to say that he was 270, um, like, LAST YEAR. i get it.

i was once listed at 185 lbs in the football program. now i weigh 205 in the mirror.

sorry, that was supposed to be in the blue. and now it is.

Isn't Prince also listed an inch shorter than he was last year, too, though? I seriously doubt the guy shrunk an inch over the winter, and I equally doubt that he weighed 260 last year.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

RBI are contingent on people getting on base ahead of you. If you have Weeks and Cameron in front of you, there aren't alot of chances for RBI.

Braun has 42 RBI. What's the next excuse...Prince can't get 'em because Braun has already batted them in?

Anyway, Prince finally seems to be showing signs of power again...hopefully this continues.

Braun has 42 RBI. What's the next excuse...Prince can't get 'em because Braun has already batted them in?

FWIW, Braun has had 14 more runners in scoring position during is PAs than Fielder has this year. Personally, I think looking at RBIs and trying to infer some kind of production/clutch skill from it is silly. Just look at their overall production (BA/OBP/SLG), as far as I am concerned.

I have no idea how significant a difference of 14 is...is that a 50% difference like their RBI numbers?

I think looking at RBIs and trying to infer some kind of production/clutch skill from it is silly

In isolation, probably...but maybe it would mean something if you looked at the percentage of runners they drive in.

Just look at their overall production (BA/OBP/SLG), as far as I am concerned.

If those stats for a player show a large variation, say, between batting with men on base and bases empty, I don't think that is meaningless.

Archived