Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Games of Thursday, May 29th

Our bats are doing so well in the minor leagues I would love to see 4 or 5 pitchers taken with our first 6 picks. With a few high ceiling pitchers , some are bound to pan out.
Drafting pitcxhes won't give the Brewers any pitching help for 3-5 years. The best way for the Brewers to get pitching help now is through trade. Use these upper level minor leagues bats as trade fodder, or as replacementss for traded big leaguers. The Brewers have almost no bats in A and A+, so they should continue to draft the best players available. Why roll the dice on pitching when other teams are willing to do that, and then trade their pitching to fill holes in there lineup. Wouldn't it have been great to trade for Garza this past offseason. Too bad our extra bats weren't quite ready.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I can't remember the last time Gamel had an error.

Has anyone ever hit over .400 in 200+ at bats in AA? Gamel has a shot.

Our bats are doing so well in the minor leagues I would love to see 4 or 5 pitchers taken with our first 6 picks. With a few high ceiling pitchers , some are bound to pan out.

me either, but we better "knock on something wood"......dont want to jinx him!!!

Verified Member
What's the story with Ramlow? I know he's been in the system for a few years, but he's putting up pretty good numbers this year and he's been closing more lately.

Drafting pitcxhes won't give the Brewers any pitching help for 3-5 years.
There are several college pitchers who could be MLB ready within a year or two. Plus, Huntsville's current lineup should still be on the Brewers 3-5 years from now.

The Brewers have almost no bats in A and A+,
I think several players at A and A+ have a good shot at MLB success. (Taylor Green, Lucroy, Wheeler etc.)

The Brewers have almost no bats in A and A+,
I think several players at A and A+ have a good shot at MLB success. (Taylor Green, Lucroy, Wheeler etc.)

I don't think Wheeler is in the same class with Green and Lucroy. Also, let's not forget about Lorenzo Cain.

but between Gamel, Bell, Lucroy, Salome, Green, Errecart, Escobar, Cain and Gillespie you could make one heck of a May lineup

Don't forget Brad Nelson and his .472 OBP in the month of May. Still only 25 - I'd take a Jaha type of career from him where he takes a while to recover from injuries which pushes his debut back to his mid-20's, but still has 3-4 very good seasons in the majors. And another guy who is quietly having a great season, although not considered much of a prospect anymore, is Laynce Nix. Not drawing a ton of walks, but now hitting .309 with seven HRs and a SLG of just under .500 (.495) for the season, .526 in the month of May.

I don't think Wheeler is in the same class with Green and Lucroy. Also, let's not forget about Lorenzo Cain.

I wouldn't put any of those guys in the same class as Gamel or LaPorta, or Braun. I don't know that I would put any of them with the possible exception of Green in the same class as Nelson, Errecart, or Gillespie. Lucroy needs to prove it at a higher level, and Cain's production is not equaling potential. Despite a good month of May, Cain is still sitting there with a .741 OPS.

There are some good players at A and A+, but not anyone I would put on a top 5 prospect list.

There are some good players at A and A+, but not anyone I would put on a top 5 prospect list.

I'd quibble a bit on Lucroy, who was the consensus second-best-hitting catcher in the draft last year behind Wieters, and whose defense has been better than advertized; I have him just outside the top five. That said, I think LaPorta, Gamel, Escobar, Salome, and Jeffress form a pretty clear top five, in whatever order.

There are several college pitchers who could be MLB ready within a year or two.
Based on history, thats not realistic. There are no starting pitchers from the draft held 1 year ago, drafted #16 or later who signed for slot value, starting in AAA yet. There are no starting pitchers from the draft held 2 year ago, drafted #16 or later who signed for slot value, starting in the majors. Why would this years crop be any different?

The draft 3 years ago is the best draft in recent baseball history. There are 3 starting pitchers from the draft held 3 year ago, drafted #16 or later who signed for slot value, who are starting and have ERAs under 5. They are Micah Owings, Garret Olsen, who only has a 6 game sample, and Matt Garza, who the Rays aquired this past offseason for a position player. There are no quick fixes drafting pitchers, just alot of wasted picks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived