Brewer Fanatic

Lawsuit possible over "Horry Kow" t-shirts in Wrigleyville

These are Cubs fans, the shirts are probably flying off the rack.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I saw a Celtics fan at one of the recent games wearing a shirt that said "I Hate Peyton Manning". I thought that was pretty funny in its simplicity.

I saw the same shirt when I was in Boston last week. They have a whole "I hate " line of shirts. I was walking past the vendor outside Fenway and some guy asked him if he had an I Hate Milwaukee shirt......he did not.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Would have been funny back in the 70's or 80's, remember Dick Tracy and Jo Jitsu? However in today's day and age everyone is so sensitive, its like they put estrogen in our drinking water. The person wearing the shirt may or may not be a jerk, but he/she is most likely insensitive.

Would have been funny back in the 70's or 80's, remember Dick Tracy and Jo Jitsu? However in today's day and age everyone is so sensitive, its like they put estrogen in our drinking water. The person wearing the shirt may or may not be a jerk, but he/she is most likely insensitive.

Sigh. Yeah. Being polite is a sign of being effeminate.

IIRC, they were taken down when the original story aired about a month ago.

They're still selling them, which is what the current article is about, the manufacturer's may sue the Cubs for the right to sell them.

The shirts don't offend me, I just think they're stupid, and completely void of creativity. Horry Kow? Man, that's hilarious, I gotta buy that shirt!

It plays on the stereotype that Japanese or Chinese allegedly can't properly pronounce L and/or R sounds.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I don't think the shirts are necissarily funny or clever, however, when i was in a band for 2 weeks with my friend Yuske who flew into Milwaukee just to be in this band, his idea for a name was The Crash (like The Clash), I thought that was hilarious, but we decided to go as The Big Mistakes instead, which was also funny

Well, the slant-eyed logo thing might be construed as just a little bit of a stereotype. Estrogen in the drinking water . . . right, because real men rip on each other's ethnicity. Yeah, back in the days when people sold bug-eyed, fat-lipped sambo dolls, even the women had hair on their chests; now we're all just a bunch of sniveling pansies. If we weren't, I wouldn't have to say "women" or "pansies."

(I don't know how to do blue text in quick reply.)

The shirt vendors are ignorant at best, vile at worst. The team officials quoted in the story are acting like morons. This isn't a trademark issue; parody is protected under the First Amendment. No sentient human would confuse the shirt with the team logo. They're trying to ban offensive speech, and that's both stupid and legally out of bounds.

Greg.

Do you think then maybe the problem lies with what was acceptable back then rather than what's not acceptable now? That's just flat out mocking a giant segment of our population, and we're acting like women? I'll try to hold back here so as to not get a strike, but I find that to be outrageous.

Exactly. And I didn't say anything about how real men procure racial stereotypes. My point was that society is more sensitive to political correctness.

Wait, so estrogen = politeness doesn't mean manly = racial joker?

I don't so much think the t-shirt is offensive as it is extended evidence of how stupid Cub fans are. I mean, how many stories are there annually on stupid things Cub fans do. They are like the bratty spoiled children of the baseball world.

I don't think a reasonable person finds it funny.

I think the Cubs have every right to sue, I understand the free speech implications, -- but there is a point where selling the shirt so close to the stadium could damage their business -- which I am guessing is where most of the Cubs concern lie. I dont think the Cubs would get as fired up, if the sales of the shirts were on the internet.

I don't so much think the t-shirt is offensive as it is extended evidence of how stupid Cub fans are. I mean, how many stories are there annually on stupid things Cub fans do. They are like the bratty spoiled children of the baseball world.

This is extremely stereotypical. All Cub fans are not stupid. Oh wait, I guess they all are. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

This whole dilemma has nothing to do with the Cub's litigation team churning up some billable hours.

And if racism was never funny, Chris Rock, Carlos Mencia, George Lopez, etc. would not have made millions in show business. Do we know for sure this t-shirt wasn't conceived by an Asian? Would that make it OK if it was?

Archived