Brewer Fanatic

All star voting

T B0NE 10

Yeah, I saw those numbers and just laughed. Bill Hall 5th? Fielder and Ryan Howard are 4th and 5th? And wow, Soriano leading the way for outfielders. What a joke. I barely even want to watch the All-Star game anymore. I'm sure I will, but wow.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I still think that the MLB All-Star game is the best of all the sports all-star games.

its the only one that i watch anymore

i like the idea that it actually counts

the pro bowl is crap

i have no interest in the nba anymore

The MLB all star game is the best all star game, but that is not saying much.

Living in Nebraska as a kid, I used to watch the All star game to catch a glimpse of a Brewer in uniform as they were never on TV in nebraska in the mid 80's.

I vividly remember waiting and waiting to see Dan Plesac and when he finally got in the game, he threw one Pitch (I think it was one Pitch) and gave up a base hit and was pulled from the game.

yeah man. i remember that Dan Plesac game. i taped that game just so i could see a Brewer in such a big game. i remember pausing the tape just so i could read what he'd written on his glove. i think it was "hi mom" or something like that.

so when all the debate started about whether the game should have one representative from every team, i remember how cool it was as a kid to see Plesac and am glad MLB still has that rule.

what i don't like is that some guys don't get to play because of the extra inning stuff, like never seeing Jenkins get to bat. whether it counts or not, they should still have some special exception for that, like past the 9th inning, a player once pulled becomes re-eligible. heck, maybe like the hockey shootout, past the 10th, the game could be decided by home-run derby--each player gets three outs, one player chosen per position.

Maybe my memory is faulty, but didn't Plesac strike out Strawberry in his AS game appearance? Or was there more than one?

I thought he got the win or save or something in that game, too...

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Maybe my memory is faulty, but didn't Plesac strike out Strawberry in his AS game appearance? Or was there more than one?

I thought he got the win or save or something in that game, too...

Struck out Strawberry in 1988 - Straw was the only batter he faced in the game.

Pitched a 1-2-3 8th in 1987 with one K.

Pitched to one batter - Von Hayes - in 1989, gave up an RBI single.

I absolutely hate the idea that home field is awarded based on the all-star game outcome. Home field should be a reward for having the best record. A reward for the team and a reward for the fans. Every other sport gives home field/court in every round of the playoffs based on the teams record. Only in baseball does having the best record not count. It's a joke.

Voting 25 times for Brewers players (that have no chance of getting in) is a half hour of my life that I'm not getting back.

The AS Game is something that I have just the hardest time getting excited about - all the big city teams' players voted on in the huge popularity contest.

Last year was an anomaly for the Crew, because of their ridiculously hot start, so maybe we need a few guys to have days off rather than traipsing over to the media circus in Yankee Stadium. I mean, playing last year didn't exactly translate into post AS Game success for the Brewers, did it?

I'd have to disagree with you there. I'd say it's actually much different than regular batting practice.

In batting practice you're working on different things, like trying to hit to the opposite field. Maybe you're hitting too many weak ground balls right now, so you want to concentrate on making good contact and hitting line drives. Many things you can work on in batting practice.

In a HR Derby all you're doing is swinging for the fences.

I don't mind the game itself, but the selection process is an absolute joke. Allowing fans to vote for anything like this is just silly...I understand the arguement that the fans are a part of the game and all that, but it mainly just leaves deserving players off the roster, and let's a guy like Soriano start (or Griffey for that matter). It's just one giant popularity contest, and it simply makes very little sense. Same thing happens in the NBA (how else would Vince Carter ever make an all-star game?!?!).

I'm not exactly fond of how the reserves are selected either, but that's a bit more realistic.

I don't think anybody on our team outside of Sheets deserves to be on the all-star team this year. No, not even Braun. Hall 5th just shows how much of a joke the voting actually is.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived